The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2019, 01:22 AM   #1
Grizzly2

7mm TCU

I recently started reloading for my .44 special and while looking through what was down there, I found 7mm TCU brass in all stages of preparation as well as loaded rounds. I used the 7TCU in the Masters back in the late 80's.

I wish now that I'd let all that brass go with the Contender years ago. What are the odds of anyone still using this caliber? I sure wish Illinois had allowed us to hunt with it. That little Contender was a real shooter.
Old February 21, 2019, 09:17 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

There are still guys using the 7tcu. Over on castboolits I see them come up once in a while for sale. Brass is a non issue for this caliber. I shot thousands of rounds of 7tcu years ago and all of the brass was simply 223 ammo fired in a 7tcu barrel to fire form it. I just recently took about five hundred empties to the scrap dealer along with a few thousand other empties and sold them for scrap. Believe it or not, some guys are still deer hunting with this round in various Contenders and rifles. I never thought it was much of a deer round after shooting a half dozen or so with it. Anemic velocity for the bullet construction.....little or no expansion. Anyway, don't worry about what to do with the empties. They aren't anything special.
Old February 21, 2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Grizzly2

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to pull some bullets and sort through all that. Most of that brass was military. The AR-15 boom hadn't started yet.

I've probably got more empty .38's and .45 acp's than I could ever use. I might have to dust off and oil the old Dillon Square Deal and load up the bullets I still have on hand.
Old February 22, 2019, 09:35 AM   #4
Louca

I still have my 7mm TCU Contender 14". Got my first deer with it back in the early 80s. I originally bought it to shoot IHMSA silhouette, but did not do a lot of that. So, I'm going to try to sell mine, too. After your post here, if I do sell it, I will be sure to include all the formed brass I have. So, thanks!