The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2019, 09:07 AM   #26
Bozz10mm

I first started reloading in the mid 1980s. I had no mentor, nor the internet to help me. If you have no one to mentor you, my advice is to read, read, read. Buy 2 or 3 different reloading manuals and read them front to back. Now days, there are a ton of Youtube videos you can watch. Start with a single stage press. Rock Chucker is good. Follow the loading data to a T, measure carefully, and don't load more than 5 or 6 rounds on your first try.
Old January 27, 2019, 10:29 AM   #27
kmw1954

Nube, besides the RCBS and Hornady I would add this one to my list, https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...sic-cast-press

Many that have it howl at how much better it is when it comes to catching spent primers, otherwise they see no real difference.

I have 3 used presses on my bench, a single stage, turret and a progressive and all were bought off of ebay for 50-75% of what new would cost. I also have 4 sets of dies that were bought used. One set was from a fellow member. Biggest thing when dealing with ebay is to pay attention to what they are going to charge you for shipping. Some add ridicules amounts.

Good luck and hope to see you back asking more questions!
Old January 27, 2019, 11:55 AM   #28
mikld

Before you buy any equipment, make sure reloading is for you. Get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading and read it. It will tell you how involved reloading is, "how to", and will show equipment and explain components. Then decide if you still wanna reload.

Reloading isn't hard, but it isn't for everybody. There is a little mechanical ability needed, you need to be able to follow directions, especially for load data , and you must be able to be consistent. And like most undertakings, K.I.S.S. is the best way to get started safely...

I started way pre-web, so I didn't have all the info one can access today (that's good and bad. No "internet wisdom"), but I read. I read nearly everything I could on reloading (from the library). I started in '69 with a Lee Loader and I never varied from the loads on the data sheet. Shortly after the Lee Loader I got my first reloading manual and quickly got a scale. I loaded a bunch of 38 Specials for over a year before I expanded my equipment inventory. Today I reload for 14 cartridges, have 3 presses 18 die sets, 4 working scales and 1.857 metric tons of assorted reloading tools/equipment. I like reloading...
Old January 27, 2019, 12:08 PM   #29
Wag

Do it. If you can read and understand and have any small degree of tinkering ability, you'll do fine.

When I (and many others here) got started, we didn't have any internet resources to start up. Myself, I didn't have a mentor, either. I just read two reloading manuals and jumped in feet first.

Personally, I've had bad experiences with Lee products. Here's a though, though. Buy products made with metal parts as opposed to plastic parts. Not always possible, but better if you can. My preference is for RCBS gear but there are others just as good. Originally, I started with a Lee kit because it was the least expensive but over time, all of the equipment in that kit has failed. Very regrettable but just my experience. Others seem to be okay with their stuff.

When I got started, I was doing it to save money on ammo. It will, once you "recover" the cost of your equipment and as long as you don't try to add in the value of your time. The thing is, once I really got going, the objective changed to loading for improved ammo over anything I could buy from a factory. And that works for me. I'm more interested in getting better ammo for myself.

Start off simple. Use the loads listed in the manuals and follow the guidelines about starting low and gradually working up. You don't have to worry too much about pressures and velocities at first when you're just starting out as long as you follow the guidelines in your loading manuals.

I suggest you start with your 9mm at first. Get carbide dies. Load up 10 rounds each with different powder loads and see what you get. There's a huge amount of satisfaction in shooting ammo you made yourself.

Most of the instructions in the manuals are for your safety so follow those instructions and you should be okay.

And ask questions. With forums like this, you have an advantage that some of us never had when it comes to making progress.

Let us know how it goes!

--Wag--
Old January 27, 2019, 12:45 PM   #30
Nube

Hey THANKS Guys I really appreciate the feed back. It sounds like it is doable without a mentor and by just reading the manuals. I have one question though not that I am questioning but the reason for multiple manuals has eluded me, though a second opinion is always a good idea. Just if there is a difference in amounts of "powder" for the same round who do you believe? I know testing in different conditions will make a difference but will it make that much? Also there is a chance of a typo, so are the internet manuals as good as a paper one?
Old January 27, 2019, 02:09 PM   #31
kmw1954

I find the manuals are best to use as a reference point and learning the basics of reloading. Different writers have different way of expressing the same ideas. One way may be easier to understand.

As for the load data I use the manuals again as a base point to get an idea of which bullets and powders are working best or most widely used. Once I get a bullet weight sometimes powders come down to what is available as many will overlap. So again once I find the bullet and decide on a powder I go to the powder manufacture website to find the most recent data. For most bullets you will find multiple powders listed, choosing which to use becomes the art.
Old January 27, 2019, 02:15 PM   #32
hounddawg

what Zeke said. That kit is good gear at a good price. Add a inexpensive electronic scale and a Lee case trimmer and you are golden
Old January 27, 2019, 02:30 PM   #33
big al hunter

Quote:
Just if there is a difference in amounts of "powder" for the same round who do you believe?
I use several sources for load data. I have 3 manuals and I use the Hodgdon website data lists as well. I haven't found any 2 that show the same data for a given cartridge and powder. But for the most part, they are fairly similar. It is because they all used a different set of components and test equipment. Every single variable changes the amount of pressure from the same amount of powder. Case, primer, powder lot and your guns chamber are all going to vary somewhat. I average the data from all my sources. Then I test in small increments of powder to see where pressure signs start. If I get to the maximum charge without signs of pressure then I have my Max load.

That said, believe them all. They found what works for them. Part of the pleasure of reloading is the satisfaction of finding what works for you and your gun.
Old January 27, 2019, 02:32 PM   #34
T. O'Heir

"...without a mentor..." Nope. You're not without mentors anyway. You have us.
It's not as complicated as some make it. A lot of the tools seen on some forums are totally unnecessary. You don't need all the gauges and other measuring tools.
Best thing to do is buy a copy of The ABC's of Reloading(about $30 on Amazon or your local gun shop. E-Bay funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you.) and read it. Then look into an RCBS Beginner's Kit for what you actually need to start. Don't forget you'll need a sturdy work bench and a place to put it.
"...setting up the die for the first time..." Isn't hard.
Like kmw1954 says, it's not about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo. Reloading lets you tailor your ammo to the particular firearm.
Old January 27, 2019, 02:48 PM   #35
jugornot

Perhaps before you buy anything consider another way. At least two of the ranges around and the community college offer classes in reloading. Gun stores that offer classes may also offer reloading classes. A local range has a reloading room for members. Just an avenue to check out before you spend money on a hobby you may abandon.

As far as cost I save about half on 223 because I use heavy bullets. But if you count time it is probably even. Last component order was well over $800 and that may last half the year. Also get a good 22lr. The ballistics on a 22 at 300 yards is remarkably similar to a 308 at 1000 yards.

Good luck and consider this avenue before you spend lots of money.
Old January 27, 2019, 04:29 PM   #36
RC20

Nube: I grew up around it and when I got into it while not exactly a mentor, a brother and my step dad and I all got into it at the same time. My dad had reloaded so I don't know how much I got from him (mostly it was interesting I think but fade to too long ago)

Book learning is something I excel at (fortunate in that regard).

It is doable I think but it goes better with help, even if its a DVD on reloading (and watch the U Tube stuff, there are some appalling people out there as well as dreadfully boring wanting to ext6end 5 minute into 30.)

I would not start with 9mm. Its god some challenges with easy to overshoot pressure and it takes a feel for the required taper crimp.

In any pistol round, I always crimp separately (now) - getting the seating and crimp right in a single die is a pain.

Two sources are a cross reference to where you are at load wise. There can be a large difference. If there is a data bust it will catch that as well.

You want to start lower down in the load (below mid levels) - that is safe and you can work your way up.

Cases are a 3D item, and it bends the mind a bit to warp around how it all works.

Books like Hornady and Sierra have the basic steps in their front and are decent guides.

Big box like Cabella (proably Bass Pro and Dicks, others maybe as well) put on reloading classes.

Hard core reloaders tend to shove their take on it, rather than work with someone and what works for them. I won't claim to be unbiased in that regard.

We can be a hard bunch to sort out.

In person who just teaches basics is a good way to go and then you can ramp up.

What I thought I knew about reloading while ok, was not the whole story when I shifted to reloading for target work.

9mm is cheap as is other ammo. You don't save money with the equipment investment. I have yet to make ammo that is nearly as good as the Remington Golden sabre in my pistol. I can cheap training fodder for abut the same as reloading.

What it does get you benefits is target shooting. While there are a lot of good match ammo, no hard core target shooter uses it, they roll their own cause they can tune it to the gun.

Years back I reloaded 7mm Rem mag for hunting. Ran out and bought store ammo that was as good as what I r4olled for that gun. Never reloaded for it again for hunting.

I do reload a whole lot for my target stuff.
Old January 27, 2019, 04:43 PM   #37
hounddawg

what RC said about cost. You reload for fun or because you can't find ammo for a gun, not to save money. Long range ammo and short range target ammo may be an exception, handloads can be hard to beat there in both cost and performance.
Old January 27, 2019, 04:51 PM   #38
briandg

We complicate things enormously. you can asssemble basic rounds for anything with just minor tools and they will work. Choose your components based on officially published data from the component maker. Get an instruction manual and refer to it constantly, don't just read it once. Get a caliper to measure your rounds, a scale, and at least a handful of scoops and a trickler, but I suggest that you just get a quality measure rather than hand measuring your charges.

This is a genuinely simple hobby. make your ammo to ordinary standards by following instructions, or get involved in all of the insane details we go into and maybe gain an inch or so of tighter groups.
Old January 27, 2019, 05:01 PM   #39
cw308

Starting out I wouldn't buy used . Read up on all you can , I would look into a good single stage press , load books , trimmer, wet tumbler system , Hornady comparators , 3 die sets for each caliber, digital powder scale , dial caliper , case lube , primers thousand lot , one pound powder that at first will work in all the rifles . Bullets 100 each at first . Buy once cry once . It will never end .
Old January 27, 2019, 06:32 PM   #40
dahermit

Quote:
Like kmw1954 says, it's not about saving money. It's about using the best possible ammo. Reloading lets you tailor your ammo to the particular firearm.
Speak for yourself...when I started hand loading and casting it was about saving money. I used the primitive Lee equipment until I could afford better. Without the savings of handloading, I would not have been able to shoot as much in those days. It still is a matter of saving money...72 rounds a day, 7 days a week for 6 months is 13,104 rounds... figure out what that would cost me in factory ammo.

Last edited by dahermit; January 27, 2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old January 27, 2019, 07:22 PM   #41
kmw1954

To be correct I believe what I said was;

"I don't do it because I am looking to save money or because I need the best Match Ammunition available or because I am shooting pistol competitions and need 2000 rounds every month. I do it because I enjoy it, it fills time and keep the mind active. The forums add to it now because I have people to communicate with and bounce ideas off of."

I do, do it to save money but with the low prices of 9mm there is not a lot of savings there. I am saving a good sum on 380 and 45acp though. But I also do it because I enjoy doing it. Being retired it helps fill time and keeps me active and also keeps the gray matter cognitive. Now if I could find a consistent supply of lead at a reasonable price I would probably also start casting. Or at least a try at it.

Nube there are a lot worst things to take up as a hobby other than reloading. as for cost, I don't see it as being any more costly than fishing or golf. Would love to do Ultra-light Flying also but it's way out of my budget.
Old January 27, 2019, 08:12 PM   #42
hounddawg

Maybe it is about cost for match ammo

here is what a match grade .260 Remington costs me to make a round using 142 gn SMK's

cost per round for me using ten reloads per case, 44.0 gns of powder with a 1 pound cost of $30.00,

brass - .10
primer - .04
powder - .18
bullet - .43

total cost per round about 75 cents

nearest comparable over the counter ammo - $1.90 per round for Federal Gold Medal Premium Match in .260 Rem

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Fede...ion/751817.uts

and I am sure my ammo is better than theirs, because I tune it to the rifle. I shoot three hundred to four hundred rounds a month. At $1.15 savings per round that adds up fast

Last edited by hounddawg; January 27, 2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old January 27, 2019, 08:48 PM   #43
Old 454

Why more then one manual ?.... because there is always more then one way to skin a cat..lolol..jk
Being able to cross reference information is a good thing. Also not every manual has all the diffrent powders that can be used for a specific caliber.
And no such thing as to much information... read read read... I spent nearly a year reading reloading books before I bought any equipment
Old January 27, 2019, 09:07 PM   #44
kilotanker22

I think cost can play a huge roll. I know that for my 270 wsm, locally the cheap factory ammunition is $39.99. if I can even find it. Only one store in my area that offers it.

I got lucky and found some brass for $30 for bags of 50. If you figure 7 loads per case. That come out to $.09 per round.

Brass, $.09 ($.14 once I have to buy new brass)
Powder, $.22
Bullet, $.40 (Nosler BT) Could do this cheaper with other bullets like Speer.
Primer, $.04 ($39.99 for 1000)

So Hand loading for my 270 WSM Costs me between $.70-$.80 per round. Compared to $2 per round factory. For me and that rifle anyway, that is a 60 percent savings. Also worth noting is that the ammunition is better than the b at Mass produced ammunition. Not to mention that I am shooting 50-100 rounds a week right now.

I do not include cost of tools in figureing how much it costs to load. Most of these tools willnlaast indefinitely.

The saving on some other cartridges would be even greater.
On 9x19 factory ammunition for plinking is dirt cheap and plentiful. I don't feel like it is anywhere near worth the time to load those. Personal protection ammo is a different story....
.223 is pretty cheap for surplus ball ammo, but if you want premium bullets, it's far cheaper to load it yourself.

The only pistol cartridges I will personally ever be loading for are probably .44 magnum and .357 magnum. As ammunition for thise is ridiculously expensive around these parts. And I can make better ammo than what's available for a long gun in either caliber.

My number two reason is this. At first it was all about the money. Then I learned I could make superior ammunition. Then it became a hobby. I enjoy it very much. And I find myself buying components and trying new things constantly.

The biggest benefit for me has been the fact that. All of the excellent ammunition I loaded for cheap. Helped make me a better shooter in the way that I got a ton more practice than I could have ever afforded with factory ammunition.
Old January 28, 2019, 09:22 AM   #45
cw308

Thinking back , I don't think what got me into reloading was cost savings . Don't get me wrong it's nice doing things that saves money but for me reloading interested me . Read up on it , then jumped in 100% and never lost that spark . If you didn't reload and loved shooting you would still shoot as much , sure it would cost , you would still do it . I don't think if you didn't like reloading you would still do it to save money .
Old January 28, 2019, 11:27 AM   #46
RC20

I don't have a problem with used, but to get going you need press, dies, scale (of some kind) funnel, the hand prep tools, loading tray.

Buying a kit gets you all that in one batch. I still use those tools I got (some have been superseded)

Hopefully the OP is ok with going off direct topic a bit.

Not sure why my dad started reloading, he did not shoot that much. Ammo could be hard to get where we were but again one trip and a couple boxes would last for years.

I think mine was interest and a good kit at low cost filled my needs and I could not get what I was shooting readily (though I could have stocked up)

Long term though, hand tools for prep got to be the motorized prep center, good micrometer (not the plastic ones) though those are tools used work wise, add in the trimmer tools and the annealer and my costs invested per round are ?

The per round cost has to be prorated to the tool costs. The more you make the lower the cost of course per round.

But I can shoot more and tune my ammo, so its worth it. Kind of annoying as I like to shoot and its a means to the end.

Still a lot of satisfaction when you look at (at least mine) lovely shiny rounds at the end of the process and of course you get dissed at the range if your rounds are ugly, kind of like a Farmer plowing a straight furrow (my wife can tell you about that, her dad would not let them plow the fields visible from he road!)
Old January 28, 2019, 11:42 AM   #47
Grey_Lion

I would ask you one simple question - Do you enjoy the " craft "?

If you enjoy crafting something well then reloading may be for you.

I enjoy reloading because it is something I can do well for myself and you can take it a VERY long way.

Look at me - I make my own hollow-point projectiles using 9mm brass which is way farther than most people will ever take their reloading craft.

If you are doing this to save $$$ on ammo - then I suggest you not do it as this craft is addictive and you can suddenly find yourself with a garage full of gear.

I started off with a lee classic turret press and one set of dies for handgun reloading. I'm now up to 3 presses ( had 4 - broke one ) and 7 sets of dies, 4 casting molds, a lead smelter, a hand primer, a hand de-primer and 2 tumblers and at LEAST 15000 pieces of brass...... :-D

And I only own 3 firearms..... go figure.....

The Amazon wishlist is an amazing thing....:-)

So - you have to ask yourself - do you enjoy the craft.........
Old January 28, 2019, 11:47 AM   #48
mikld

I have been reloading for a bit over 40 years and cost of handloads vs. factory has never been an issue. But I don't waste money either no, $2.00 bullets or $5.00 cases for me . Sometimes equipment costs conflicted with my budget, but never ammo costs. I was shooting my 38 Special in '69 and as I was emptying the cylinder I thought "I wonder if I could use these parts again?". That started everything.

Someone above mentioned Lee products in a disparaging manner, so I'll give you the positive side. I have been using Lee tools and equipment since I started with a Lee Loader, a yellar mallet, and a log. have been reading about how "bad" Lee stuff is but have never been able to duplicate the problems (life long machinist/mechanic and know how to use tools). Lee uses modern materials and modern manufacturing methods and is probably the most innovative manufacturer out there. When you ask on a forum about what the "best" tool equipment, etc. is, you will get 99% personal opinions, mostly about what the poster uses, and very little if any comparisons/teats/evaluations (and all will be biased). Not entirely bad, just be aware...
Old January 28, 2019, 12:28 PM   #49
F. Guffey

Nube, there is nothing I do not have when it comes to reloading equipment, the same for components. I have Lee equipment, I do not use it but I have it JIC (just in case).

To get the best price you need to compare; be aware of those that claim to be friends and at the same time claim my presses are heavier and at the same time claim it is more expensive to ship from Dallas to Nebraska.

F. Guffey
Old January 28, 2019, 01:00 PM   #50
Don Fischer

Probably the worst way to start is to get on a forum and ask how to do it! Your gonna read about a lot of stuff that is way over your head. Buy one manual, the one made for the bullet's you think you'll like. Learn to do it with that manual. As you progress, you'll come up with specific question's to ask, that's when you come to a place like this. You'll get several different answer's and usually all saying the same thing, that's a problem! You really need to understand your problem before you ask the question. Reloading can be just as simple or involved as you want to make it. Ask the wrong question and it only get's more difficult. Learn the basic's first then add on as you go. For a manual I really do suggest the manual by the bullet maker you prefer just to keep thing's in order. Actually once you get going well, the manual isn't gonna make as much difference in loading as you might think! But learn one way at a time. If your loading for your deer rifle, you don't need 1/2" loads, nice to see but really not needed. You don't need a load to shoot deer at 500 yds either, that has a lot more to do with shooting than reloading! Keep it simply and work your way into it!