The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2019, 05:02 PM   #1
Venti30

300 Blackout Brass development

Hi,

I've recently considered reloading 300 blackout, and have plenty of access to once fired 223/556 brass.

I've been researching the many different ways that people convert this brass to 300blk.

I've got a Dillon 1050

I'm looking at the most efficient ways, so using the Dillon 1500 trimmer came to mind, and I've discovered that just the Dillon items needed are over $750, before tax/shipping etc.

Converting an XL650, would cost about $565 plus tax/shipping.

So, Im actually thinking with the $200 difference, I might just buy a used 650 leaving the 1050 to load only.

Does anyone have a more economical method to use a indexing press or other non sweat shop method? Seeing these guys do it one at a time, mini chop saws, hand held drills etc looks like no fun at all.
Old February 19, 2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Grey_Lion

take a look at this video - [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukwy3Y7p4Jg

If you own a table saw that you can put a metal cutting blade into, you can make this jig - although I'd affix it to a table slide jig instead of passing it against a fence.

It might take you 2 hours to make on a saturday afternoon and give you a virtually endless supply of 223 to 300 casings.
Old February 19, 2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Sharkbite

I considered converting brass when i started down the 300blk road. I found it was just easier to buy already converted brass from Carolina brass and then load it.

I get to spend more time shooting that way.
Old February 19, 2019, 10:24 PM   #4
disseminator

I looked at getting the Dillon setup when I started loading 300 Blk but just couldn't justify the cost. So I bought the cheap Saw/Jig combo off Amazon for $80 and have made about 1000 pieces so far.

It's really not that hard. The Jig works great and though it's a bit messy, it's really not that bad. And you could tape the wetvac hose near the saw if you really wanted too.

All the cases I have made worked great. I stick to LC brass.

Making the brass is part of the fun.
Old February 20, 2019, 12:02 AM   #5
nlvmike

I also bought the jig and mini saw when I first started shooting 300. Then I found a good price on new ammo and bought a few thousand. I haven't had the need to make any new brass yet.
Old February 20, 2019, 03:15 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

I use a Harbor Freight mini chop saw then form, load and shoot. They come out of the sizing die formed enough to load and shoot and don't look much different after the first firing.

The trim die in the Dillon is not meant to remove that much metal. Also it doesn't clean up the burs from trimming.

Also check out the forums on www.300blktalk.com

Tony
Old February 20, 2019, 12:47 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Do you really need the machine?
How much .300 Blk brass could you buy for the "$565 plus tax/shipping" plus the cost of a used 650?

A rough estimate based on a quick internet search shows that the ballpark of 8,000 to 10,000 pieces could be possible for $1,000. But, the cost of a used 650 and the necessary conversion parts is likely to be higher than that.
Old February 20, 2019, 01:55 PM   #8
Grey_Lion

Franken - just let him go - he wants to use what he's got ;-) Hey look at us - we both swage bullets when it'd have been WAY cheaper to just buy what we could shoot in a lifetime.......

Last edited by Grey_Lion; February 20, 2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old February 20, 2019, 11:56 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

My equipment was pretty cheap (some home-built). But I'll let that slide.
Fair enough.

But, on that topic...
I had a friend ask me the other day, via text message, "Where did you get that lead wire stuff you had the other day? I've never seen that before."
I replied with the details, and, "...I only had it because it was already on hand. I use it for bullet swaging."
Many hours later, "What is a swaging?" ...
Long story short, they couldn't understand the concept. (Though, I'll be seeing them tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if the subject comes back up...)
Old February 21, 2019, 09:00 AM   #10
jmorris

I actually made money building a machine for a business to rough cut. I don’t have any videos uploaded of the finished product but I have shared the concept machines. I never really intended to own a 300 blk as the whisper, .300 fireball etc never really interested me but I had a life time supply of brass after R&D was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXz97yWp2w

That’s 2160 and hour cut without having to handle a single case. Extend the slide and add another collator for the opposite side of the blade and you double that.

I use the Dillon trimmer with GSI trim die and toolhead (650) to form and final trim, they use camdex equipment.

Last edited by jmorris; February 21, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old February 23, 2019, 07:27 PM   #11
CerberusRagnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
I actually made money building a machine for a business to rough cut. I don’t have any videos uploaded of the finished product but I have shared the concept machines. I never really intended to own a 300 blk as the whisper, .300 fireball etc never really interested me but I had a life time supply of brass after R&D was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXz97yWp2w

That’s 2160 and hour cut without having to handle a single case. Extend the slide and add another collator for the opposite side of the blade and you double that.

I use the Dillon trimmer with GSI trim die and toolhead (650) to form and final trim, they use camdex equipment.
Your machine is awesome!
Old February 23, 2019, 11:54 PM   #12
Grey_Lion

Ditto - that's a cool jig.