The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2018, 02:17 PM   #1
rebs

40 Gr nosler tipped ?

I took the accuracy load for 40 gr off Sierra manual and loaded 25.3 of H322 at oal of 2.250. Has anyone else loaded these bullets and were you close to this load as being an accurate load ? I will be shooting these out of a Colt match target competition AR 20" 1 in 9 twist barrel.
Old September 19, 2018, 10:28 PM   #2
ligonierbill

I have some of those Noslers left over from the 22-250 I sold. Just for grins, I loaded some over H4198 and tried them in my garden variety 16" Doublestar (1:9 I think). Ran 3,132 and grouped 1/2". I've been meaning to try some in my Rock River sporting a 20" White Oak Armament 1:8 barrel.

These bullets were a "one hole" deal in the 22-250, but that was 4,000 fps and a much slower twist.
Old September 20, 2018, 02:56 AM   #3
bamaranger

different but similar

I am not shooting tipped Noslers, but have loaded and shot tipped 40 grain Hornady's in my .223 Interarms Mini Mauser bolt rifle. That little rifle for some reason turns in lower velocities with most loads than the manuals say it should, though accuracy is acceptable. So.....loaded up some 40 grainers in a search for speed and flatter trajectory.

I expcect a significant velocity improvement over the 52 gr Match HP's I usually feed the little rifle, but I have not had a chance to chrono my new 40 grain loads. But in that slow twist Mini Mauser (1-12 or 1-14, I forget) accuracy at 100 is the same as the match bullets, right at 1".
Old September 20, 2018, 08:41 AM   #4
Scoits

Have shot a bunch of them but only with win 748 and h335. Shoot ok but prefer 40 gr vmax
Old September 20, 2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger
That little rifle for some reason turns in lower velocities with most loads than the manuals say it should...
That's pretty normal. You have to remember the stated velocity is usually for a standard SAAMI velocity and pressure test gun. In 223 Remington that test gun has a barrel 24" long and a chamber that is within half a thousandth of SAAMI minimum size so that the pressure tests produce the worst case highest peaks. Most people don't have that tight minimum spec chamber and most AR shooters don't have the full 24" barrel length. Both of those factors make the resulting velocity lower.

If you have a manual that used a production gun for load development, though, like Sierra does, for example, and your barrel length is the same as theirs, you may have a bigger chamber or a little bit larger bore cross-sectional area.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 20, 2018, 01:10 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...loaded 25.3 of H322..." You work up to that or just pick it? It's .2 below the max load. Using the powder given for the accuracy load works well, but you need to consider the other variables too. And work up the load from the start load.
Don't bother worrying about velocity either. It's going to be slightly less due to barrel length. Accuracy is more important anyway.
Every rifle will shoot every bullet weight differently. However, I suspect your rifle won't light 40 grain bullets due to the twist. There won't be any damage of any kind, but that 1 in 9 twist will prefer heavier bullets.
Old September 21, 2018, 12:35 PM   #7
rebs

I got that load as an accuracy load out of the reloading manual. Going to give it a try and see how accurate it is. A friend gave me about 300 of the bullets because they didn't shoot well in his rifle. If they don't shoot well in my rifle I'll pass them on to someone else that can use them.
Old September 22, 2018, 12:09 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

I have to agree with T. O'Heir on the twist rate used with that light of a bullet.

A quick calculation shows that the bullet will be spinning at 240,000 RPM's, maybe even faster. If the bullet doesn't make it to the target, you'll know why.
Old September 22, 2018, 06:35 AM   #9
rebs

I'll let you know if it reaches the target or not.
Old September 22, 2018, 02:17 PM   #10
603Country

I’ve shot a bazillion 40 gr Nosler BTs in my 9 twist Ruger Hawkeye. They shoot very accurately, and boy howdy will they put a coyote down hard. I use H335 and CCI BR primers.

This isn’t what I ‘heard’ or ‘read on the internet’. This is me shooting that bullet. Near max load with the H335.
Old September 23, 2018, 08:42 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. If his chamber is tight, he could get about 3150 fps from a 20" barrel, but if it isn't it might be anywhere from 3000 fps to 3150. Let's say 3075 fps as an average number. That will put the RPM at about 243,000 as Mal suggested. That would be a lot with a 30 cal bullet or even a 27, but with a 22 caliber bullet, given its narrower diameter and much lower mass near the surface, the centrifugal effects and core stripping forces will be much smaller and unlikely to affect it, IMHO.

The JBM stability calculator puts the stability factor at around 2.2 in standard conditions, which is well within Sierra's criteria of 1.3 to 3.0 for hunting accuracy and I've seen 168-grain MatchKings shoot half moa at a stability factors of over 2.5, so if the bullet is well made as to axial mass symmetry, it should still shoot, even if ideal stability factors for peak accuracy ar around 1.4 to 1.7.

To answer Mr. O'Heir's question, the load came from the Nosler load data (available both at their website and in their manual) and is the starting load. The Nosler data uses a 24" Lilja barrel that gets Nosler 3300 fps. If you cut that same barrel to 20", Quickload says the velocity would drop to 3147 fps, which is where I got my "about 3150 fps", above.

I note the Nosler data barrel uses the SAAMI standard 12" twist.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle