The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 12, 2001, 11:30 PM   #1
Bowser

Anyone know where to get those type of earplugs that actually fill the entire outer ear. Not the little plugs, larger than those ones.
I want to protect my ears as much as posible without using bulky earmuffs for skeet shooting.

Thank you,

Bowser.
Old March 12, 2001, 11:40 PM   #2
sskraft

Call any Ear, Nose, and Throat doc or the local hearing aid dealer. They can make a set for you.
Old March 13, 2001, 03:41 AM   #3
DougB

At a gun show a couple of weeks ago in Sacramento, someone was selling ear plugs like you are describing. Apparently they smear some goo in your ear - filling quite a bit of the outer ear - much more than just the ear canal. I didn't pay too much attention, but apparently the stuff hardens into a soft rubber. Sorry, but I didn't notice the company or product name.

Doug
Old March 13, 2001, 10:56 AM   #4
Gromit

I just got a pair last 4 days ago. I contacted http://www.earinc.com and they told me where I could get a set made from a provider in my area. The stuff (silicon?) they used is made by a company called Insta-Mold, http://www.instamold.com.

The closest provider to me was actually Insta-Mold so I went to them and got the plugs made. They cover the entire outer ear, are extremely comfortable and have a noise reduction rating of 27 decibels.

I would e-mail Ear Inc. for a provider in your area. I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Old March 13, 2001, 07:40 PM   #5
taco

Gromit:

How much do they cost?
Old March 14, 2001, 09:39 AM   #6
Gromit

40 bucks
Old March 14, 2001, 04:58 PM   #7
Roadrunner

I had my custom ear plugs made for me at a local hearing aid company for about $70 here in Northern Virginia. I should have bought them years ago.
Old March 18, 2001, 07:03 AM   #8
Bowser

Update

I just found out yesterday that a woman at our gun club in Richmond, California will fit a pair to your ears for $20 ($25 for non-members). I talked with a AA skeet shooter who uses them and swears by them. I hope to get mine fit soon. I will ask her if it is okay to post her number.

Bowser.