The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2016, 02:29 AM   #26
jmstr

I have a 1947 LC Smith 12 Field Grade.

The info I've gleaned indicates it is safest to shoot with a 3 dram or less load. this seems to be around 1200 fps loads.

Also, the info I've gleaned strongly recommends avoiding steel shot, as the barrel wasn't designed for it. There was no concern about the barrel exploding, but that the forcing cone or choke area would get deformed and it could affect patterning, and the force might cause the rib to separate from the barrels from vibration [not something I think is likely though]

I like to stick with 2 3/4 dram equivalents, or less.

That would be something like a 1 1/8 load [7 or 8 shot] around 1145fps, or a 1oz load moving around 1180fps.

The issue of a 3 1/4 dram or 3 1/2 dram equivalent wasn't so much about the barrel/breech not holding up, but that the force could crack the thin neck area of the stock, requiring stock repairs.

I have others for kick butt rounds [870 express Super Magnum for 3 1/2 inch shells], so I'd rather keep the loads lite and keep the gun for a LONG time.

Due to all of this, I agree with the above people and say to stick to #3 ammo on your list.
Old January 8, 2016, 11:23 AM   #27
MrBorland

Thanks for all your input.

Just as an update, I took it to the local Sporting Clays range, and used light target loads. It shot just fine, and garnered some attention from the regulars who were happy to see a vintage SXS that's been in the family for 4 generations being used.

I also took on a trip to SD for some pheasants in November. I mainly used my 28" 870, but broke out the Ithaca on occasion. My greatgrandfather used it for hunting, so it just seemed appropriate that it should see at least some field duty again. It's noticeably lighter than my 870, so it's easier to carry all day, but it recoils noticeably more as well.
Old January 8, 2016, 05:19 PM   #28
FITASC

Now, THAT is cool Mr. Borland, and I am sure your greatgrandfather would have wanted it that way!
Awesome.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 8, 2016, 07:58 PM   #29
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Now, THAT is cool Mr. Borland, and I am sure your greatgrandfather would have wanted it that way!
Awesome.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm sure he'd be tickled to see it still used and enjoyed.

Here's a pic of my (89 year old) NID in it's glory...

And some of the bounty...
Old January 8, 2016, 08:18 PM   #30
FITASC

Very cool; haven't had a chance to hunt ringnecks in about 30 years............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa