The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 30, 2012, 03:31 PM   #1
BigBy1

Old Muzzle Loader to Identify

I've got an old muzzle loader Stamped IIMLA the serial # is stamped on each metal part #37 Anybody got any ideas??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ML5.jpg (128.8 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg ML1.jpg (106.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg ML3.jpg (142.9 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 30, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The trigger guard tang bent out into a sort of pistol grip looks like it started out as an 1849 Austrian musket, with stock shortened for surplus sales.

There were thousands of these and other European rifles and muskets imported by both sides during the Civil War. Which left an awful lot of obsolete surplus guns to sell off after the war with breechloaders coming out.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Not only imported here in the war years, but sold throughout the world for many years after they were sold off as obsolete (did you think "milsurp" was something new?). Millions of muskets from dozens of countries were sold to arms dealers who converted many to shotguns for sale in the U.S., Africa, Asia and Latin America.

I have no idea what the IIMLA marking means, but I think it safe to say it is not factory. The number is an assembly number, put on at the original factory to ensure fitted parts were put back together after finishing.

Jim
Old October 31, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
BigBy1

Old ML

Thanks for your insight Jim! I had figured much the same... I got it from an estate sale, the family is known to have fought in the Civil War.