The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 20, 2012, 04:31 PM   #1
marb1es

ID my new SAUER & SOHN O/U Shotgun

Hope you don't mind me posting my thread link rather than trying to get all the pictures sorted again, I am new, I know, Hi to everyone.... I really just need some help if anyone can help me ID and value my new addition....

I don't know where else to go to try to find some info on it...

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/show...273#post995273
Old September 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #2
SDC

It's marked as a German gun that was sold in the UK, with Birmingham view and proof marks, but there should still be original German proofs on the receiver and barrels; do you see any other marks at all? A German gun of the period should have Weimar "eagle" proofs, and "Nicht fur Kugel"/"Not for Slugs" on the barrels.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I have nothing that would tell me when your gun was MADE but it bears British proof marks from the Birmingham, England proof house as used from 1925-1955. Surely in the first half of that period because they shifted from Suhl to Eckernförde to resume production after WWII.

I think it may have been originally made for sale in England because I see no German proof marks.

It is an interesting looking gun with blued dummy sideplates contrasting with the grayed receiver.

I don't have any references on prewar Sauers, sorry.
There is a collector here, Sauerfan, who has a lot of information. Maybe he will notice your post.

I don't understand the value question, though.
Unless it "came to you" by gift or inheritance, surely you paid what you thought was a fair price for it, and that is the only real way to assign a value.
Old September 21, 2012, 03:17 AM   #4
marb1es

Thank you very much for the info, thats very interesting and has started the ball rolling. I do appreciate it.

I was told that Sauer made guns for Lang, who consequently put their name on them..But thats what I heard.