The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 21, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Hex or round receiver Mosin Nagant?

Any specific reason to get a hex receiver over a round one...or vise versa? What is the difference other than looks?

Also, has anyone seen the recent flood of round receiver 91/30s with the scope and mount else where than Indiana? The local gun shop always has 15-20 Nagants on hand, but lately they've been replacing the striped down rifles (for $89.99) with a LARGE quanity of rifles with full kits (bayonet, ammo pouch, cleaning tools ect...) with an original (or reproduction maybe?) Sniper scope and mount for $469.

Is this a good deal if the scopes are original? They look like it but I don't know enough about the russian scopes to tell for sure. I'd like to get another one, My first rifle was a M91/30 Nagant. My Dad got it for me on my 13th birthday. Sadly, I had to sell it when I got laid off the first time a few years ago. If the scoped ones are a good deal for $469, Id like to get one of them. Always liked the look of the Nagant sniper rifles.
Old April 21, 2011, 10:57 PM   #2
Darren007

Strength and functionality wise, they are the same. As WWII ramped up the Soviets simplified the production of the receiver by eliminating the hexagonal shape in order to speed up production.

When it comes to collecting, hexagonal receivers tend to be more sought after as they tend to have a much nicer fit and finish. But if your just looking for a shooter either one is fine.

As far as the scopes are concerned, I believe (but don't quote me) they are either modern reproductions, or post-war "new old stock". I know for a fact however they are not WWII era.
Old April 22, 2011, 05:05 AM   #3
radom

Hex receiver is a made in the USA receiver vs the rounds ones are made in russia. Hex is a remington or a winchester vs round is tula made in russia action.
Old April 22, 2011, 07:59 AM   #4
jsmaye

Wrong - hex (actually octagonal) versus round receivers are more a result of date of manufacture rather than country of origin. It just so happens that the USA made them during the hex (octagonal) time period.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:49 AM   #5
32 Magnum
Member In Memoriam

All round receivers will have been made in or after 1930 - the model 91/30.
All octagonal receivers were made prior to 1931 or 32 - the older '91 rifle, dragoon, etc. models. Many if not most of the "HEX"/octagonal barrels were converted to 91/30 configuration (mostly a sight change from Russian ARSHIN units of measure to meters and internal refurb).
Here is an excellent source of info on the Mosin Nagant family of rifles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin%E...#United_States
Old April 22, 2011, 09:53 AM   #6
tobnpr

No reason. No discernible difference in quality or accuracy based solely on whether the receiver is hex or round.
Old April 22, 2011, 09:56 AM   #7
Darren007

Quote:
Here is an excellent source of info on the Mosin Nagant family of rifles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin%E...#United_States
Here's a better one...

http://7.62x54r.net/
Old April 22, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Slamfire

Get whatever is in the best overal condition, bolt number and receiver number matching, and with the best barrel.

The rest is cosmetic.
Old April 22, 2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Mausermolt

Ive heard that the scopes and mounts are new production made off the original WWII tools that the russians used back then. so they are exact replicas.
Old April 22, 2011, 12:13 PM   #10
ksstargazer

Radom, where did you come up with that information!!??
Mosins were made in the US by Remington and New England Westinghouse. Winchester never made a mosin.
Hex receivers are generally made in 1936 and earlier. The round recievers came in 1936 and later.
The French even made mosins in the beginning.
There were 3 Russian arsenals that made mosins.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:10 PM   #11
BigBill

While there still under $100 get them all !!!! When they finally run out and the prices go up you will be gald you did.

At onetime i was buying the [SA] finnish 91/30's in excellent condition for $79. This was a time when most passed on them. there sorry today they did for sure i got 6 of them and there are different things between each one too. Five are stamped [SA] and one is marked #41, 3 have russian skinny stocks while the other 3 have the finnish fat stocks. It pays to get more than 1 too sometimes.

My point is to get more than one, go for the hex and the round receivers and the 91/30's in laminated stocks too. So thats 3 of the 91/30's right there. Time to time we see the 91/59 and the m38 mosins too. Grab them too and don't forget the m44. You will be glad you have them all some day too.

Now remember the swede mausers were just $20 one day too. Even the swiss k31's were $79 and now look at them just a few years down the road. This history price wise tells me we can't lose with any affordable surplus rifle that we buy now. Bill

BTW; Most of the hex stocks are double dated. The oldest date is on the bottom side of the receiver while the newer refurbished date is on the top side of the barrel. I treasure them all anyway there all apart of the russian history. Wether they fought in the forgotten winter war of '39 or in WW2 enjoy them all.

Last edited by BigBill; April 24, 2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old April 27, 2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Don P

Get one of each. I have a round that is dated 1939 out of the Izhevsk arsenal and a hex dated 1930 out of the Tula arsenal. Both fine shooters.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.