The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2005, 09:56 PM   #1
zebrajeb

Mossberg Stainless Pump?

New on this site but enjoy reading the posts.

I've recently acquired a Mossberg 12 ga. which appears to be all stainless steel, including what looks like a factory stainless heat shield. 18 inch barrel and extended magazine. Anyone know anything about this shotgun, when it was made, etc.?

I've owned an 870 Marine and seen the newer Mossberg with Marinecote but not a stainless one before.

Thanks

JEB

Last edited by zebrajeb; September 19, 2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old September 20, 2005, 10:55 AM   #2
CaCrusin

Marinecoate is all they list. The receivers are all made of aluminum. It is either marinecoate or a refinish job.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old September 20, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
zebrajeb

Nope, not Marinecote - definitely since I had it next to a Mossberg with Marinecote. Receiver is definitely not aluminium but solid. It really appears to be stainless and not refinished.

John
Old September 21, 2005, 12:16 AM   #4
liliysdad

I seriously doubt its a stainless gun.....in fact, id be willing to bet its not
Old September 21, 2005, 05:07 PM   #5
RevolverLover

To my knowledge Mossberg only used aluminum recievers. Maybe its a Marinecote that has been polished?
Old September 21, 2005, 07:28 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

There was an older Mossberg called The Model 500 Mariner.
It had something called a "Marinecote" finish that looked like stainless, but was more rust resistant than stainless.

Apparently the earlier Marinecote looked different than the current version of Marinecote.

The only other thing I can think of, is someone had the gun hard chrome plated.

With a used gun, you have no idea what a previous owner may have done to it.
Old September 21, 2005, 07:35 PM   #7
MillCreek

Let me say right now that if Mossberg made a 590 in stainless, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old September 21, 2005, 08:08 PM   #8
zebrajeb

Well, I appreciate the suggestions. Feeling like an idiot, I put a magnet to the receiver and it is definitely not steel! Learn something new every day! However, receiver is polished, fairly bright (not mirror) and smooth. I honestly don't know what has been done to it.

If Mossberg made an earlier version of the Marinecote, as Dfariswheel suggested, this might be one. The magazine cap and sling swival are different than the current production Mainecote shotgun and the finish on barrel is much smoother - more like a brushed stainless. This shotgun is also a little shorter overall as well. Barrel is 18 inches with a stainless (unless coated) heat shield. It all looks factory but I'm not an expert.

I'm more familiar with the Remington shotguns (once had a Marine and wish I'd kept it). This one just fit well and I wanted something like this. (My other shotgun is an FN Police with removeable chokes.)

Appreciate the information, suggestions & not calling me an idiot.

John
Old September 22, 2005, 10:31 AM   #9
CaCrusin

Not an Idiot!

It is no disgrace to be ignorant on a subject. It is a disgrace to remain so when the opportunity presents itself for enlightenment. You have done well.

You are not an idiot.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
Old September 27, 2005, 11:34 PM   #10
warthog5

The only one in this class that I'm aware of is the
Winchester 1300 Coastal. It does have a stainless barrel that is then chrome plated.

Mine just came in today. It also is a lighter weight SG that other's in it's class.

The SpecOps stock came in today too.

They are not near as cheap as the one's you will find at the box store's. Fact is you will not find much about them on the net, except on Winchester's site.
I got a decent price on this one. $513
Old September 28, 2005, 12:39 AM   #11
gig-a-hertz

Howdy.

I have a 500 Mariner that looks exactly like the inguirer describes. It is an early one as I have had it for about 15 years. It is a shinier gun than the current matte finished Mariners. Those are like bead-blasted?
The reciever is a polished aluminum & the rest is electroless nickle ie: Marinecoat. It does have the factory heatshield. It came with the 4-round Speedfeed stock also.

I also have the Winchester 1300 Marine Defender.
It is chromed on barrel & mag-tube, but with polished aluminum reciever. The newer ones of these seem to be like the one pictured with the matte-black reciever.

Then there is the Remington 870 Marine Magnum.
It is more like the Mossberg in finish & I have seen more of those that have the bead-blasted dullness. Mine is not like that. It is more shiny.

Of the 3....the Mossberg is a treat to shoot. The Remington is decent. The Winchester is the most miserable recoil-wise of any riot gun I ever shot.
I have used same handloads in 00 buck & home-cast slugs in all of them. The winchester is pretty rough on me.
(as one guy noted..it is the lightest)
All are rynite stocks with 18.5" barrels.

John
Old December 2, 2016, 07:10 AM   #12
hwy11girl

Stainless Steel Mossberg

I'm a little late responding to this but there is such a beast. I own one. The reciever is Nicole plated and the serial numbered barrel is stainless steel. This was the early mariner per Mossberg. Only a couple hundred were made and they were given out for military trial and harsh weather trial use. I have an email from Mossberg to prove it. I bought mine from a guy in Fairbanks Alaska who's father was an officer in the military. I love this gun and really love to take it gun shows it gets a lot of attention!
Old December 4, 2016, 04:59 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

If it is the old silver colored Marinecote the finish changes colors over the weld points with light use. It darkens slightly. I had one where it happened. I forget what the explanation given was, but I understand that is why they changed the coating. From ten feet one might confuse it with stainless, but in ones hands it is pretty clearly not.
Old December 29, 2016, 09:41 AM   #14
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Would be awesome if Mossberg would make an all stainless steel shotgun in the set up below.

This gun I own in 12 ga and soon in 20 ga as well.

Source and photo origin: http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-turkey-53265/.

These models are not stainless but the Receiver is at least aluminum and will not rust. The finish camo is coming off very easy were you touch it so in order to halt the ongoing disappear of the camo I painted it completely (Barrel aswell) with Brownells Matte Clear Aluma Hyde II gun paint (it is epoxy paint). That paint I recommend for protection since it is durable but I was not able to apply it evenly (run spots, etc). The good Thing is you can reapply it at home easily yourself without incurring in costly paint Jobs.
These models are perfect. If you paint it they will last you. Obviously a stainless steel one would be even better.