The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2015, 04:19 PM   #1
CoyoteHunter5

Weatherby PA-08 Barrels?

I just bought the Weatherby PA-08, and I would like to have some other barrels other than a 28" field barrel. Are they interchangeable with any other branded barrels or just their own? I would like a slug barrel (no rifling). If anyone knows anything, please let me know!
Old October 27, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Tinbucket

Weatherby PA 08 barrels

Not familiar with a PA. A twenty eight inch barrel?
Weatherby sells barrels about 540.00 installed but they oly stocked in 24 and 26 inch, or that was the limit, of my inquiry, on a .270.
Many barrel makers can thread the barrels for Weatherby. A Gun Smith, might have to turn barrel down from some makers, to contour you want.
Some make up to 34 inch barrels.
It would have to be have head space checked and rear of barrel checked for perfectly square and if you just get a barrel blank the Gun Smith will have to chamber it. He may want to ream it anyway even if chambered.
Different profile or sale profile by different makers may require re inletting the stock o a different stock if you go to a heavy barrel, or glassing etc of the barrel channel if the barrel is smaller in diameter or different smaller profile.
Old October 27, 2015, 05:39 PM   #3
Virginian

Shotgun barrels are not like rifle barrels. They do not have to be chambered and/or typically fitted by a gunsmith except for most double barrels.
Old November 29, 2015, 08:41 PM   #4
essonlaker

I bought a weatherby PA-08 slug gun combo last year. 28" field barrel with IC,modified, and full choke tubes. and a 20" rifled cantilever deer barrel. threw a bushnell banner 1-4x32 on the cantilever and never looked back. my gun had a problem right out of the box and weatherby took care of it. been perfect ever since. not sure what other barrels they make.
Old December 1, 2015, 11:27 PM   #5
kozak6

Weatherby only rebadges them, so it could very well be interchangeable with some other identical Turkish shotgun.

Weatherby doesn't have barrels on their website. Have you tried emailing or calling them?
Old December 2, 2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Virginian

I'd call Weatherby. They have excellent customer service.