The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 31, 2015, 02:40 PM   #1
kcub

alternatives to muzzleloader

My state, Texas, has a muzzleloader only season. Do other states have variants on primitive weapons, black powder cartridges perhaps? Might be hard to enforce.
Old December 31, 2015, 02:54 PM   #2
NHSHOOTER

There was another post recently that said in some states, La I think was one, single shot breech loader, certain calibers, 1 they talked about alot was the 35 whelan. Take a look back just a few weeks.
Old December 31, 2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Doyle

Yep, LA and MS got into a contest to see which one could make the most liberal definition of a primitive weapon. I think both states wound up with the same definition - single shot, external hammer, .35 and larger.
Old December 31, 2015, 04:17 PM   #4
jmr40

Georgia has had an archery season forever. We start with archery in mid September and rifle season starts about 5-6 weeks later. Muzzle loaders didn't have a specific season on a state wide basis until just a few years ago. They have always been OK during rifle season and there were a handful of Wildlife Management Areas who hosted special muzzle loader hunts.

They wedged one week of muzzle loading hunting into the last week of archery before rifle season starts. They call it primitive weapons season. Muzzle loaders and archery are both legal that week. It doesn't offer any more time in the woods and I've never fooled with buying a muzzle loader. I continue hunting normally that week with my bow.

It does have to be a muzzle loading rifle, no single shot breach loaders. It can be traditional or an in-line, but during primitive weapons week no optics are allowed. If you use it during rifle season any type of sights may be used.
Old December 31, 2015, 06:00 PM   #5
big al hunter

In Washington we have a muzzle loader season. No optics and the cap must be the old percussion style, no shotgun primer systems. The cap must also be exposed to the weather ( not covered by the weapon proper). The early elk season is the week between archery season and modern firearm deer. That puts muzzle loader right at the end of the elk rut . Then we have a late season that is 3 or 4 weeks long in November and December, depending on which unit you hunt in.

We have to pick a weapon when we buy the tags, so you have to choose between archery, modern and muzzle loader. Many of the units are buck or bull only for modern, but archery and muzzle loader have several units that are any elk or deer. You only get 1 tag per species. Tough decision every year....
Old December 31, 2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Gunplummer

I still hunt one other state for deer. When I was younger, I went to a couple different states. Some of the states had so many gun/area restrictions that I was afraid to go there. Some had cap areas, some flintlock areas. Some of the regulations bordered on entrapment.
Old December 31, 2015, 07:24 PM   #7
hartcreek

Big Al is close to being right in Washington except he forgot that we also have a draw for multiseason deer and elk so it is possible to hunt archery, muzzleloader and modern season. Last year there was an abundance of deer multiseason tags as many folks opted to not get one.

Last year I hunted multiseason for deer and elk.......this year just multiseason deer.

You also can use bow, crossbow, muzzle loader or modern for turkey and grouse.
Old December 31, 2015, 07:34 PM   #8
big al hunter

I also left out that we have a raffle for second tag, special permits for antlerless for modern firearms and that some areas are firearms restricted all the time. But I didn't think about the special drawings and permits when I was writing. There is so much to remember....
Old December 31, 2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Yep, LA and MS got into a contest to see which one could make the most liberal definition of a primitive weapon. I think both states wound up with the same definition - single shot, external hammer, .35 and larger.
MS changed this year. The old single shot rules still apply to public land but private land is weapon of choice. I guess we have too many deer. Bag limit is three bucks(with antler restrictions)and five does. No tags and crossbows are legal during archery season. You can now legally have a feeder in sight as long as it's 100 yards away.
Old January 2, 2016, 01:22 PM   #10
Blindstitch

Muzzleloader season in wisconsin is 9 or so days after the firearm season and any actual muzzleloader can be used but I believe the caliber has to be .40 or larger. Optics are allowed.

I really wish that there should be a muzzleloader or primative season before firearm deer season but limit it to say cap and ball but that's my opinion.

My option is a Barnett crossbow and it limits me to 50 yards shooting quarters groups. That's not bad.
Old January 2, 2016, 02:14 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

Ontario has what's called 'primitive weapons'. Means either ML's or archery. Archery only runs before the 'gun season'. Everything else is by Wildlife Management Unit(WMU). Some WMU's are shotguns only. Some bows only. Some Primitive only. Etc., etc.
Whether BP cartridges are OK or not will be a local thing. I think most places consider BP cartridges to be the same as any rifle. Be the kind of thing your Texas hunting regs would tell you for sure.
Old January 2, 2016, 08:05 PM   #12
Pahoo

IOWA has two M/L seasons

Quote:
My state, Texas, has a muzzleloader only season.
Iowa has two M/L seasons; early and late, as well as a separate bow season. Each year the DNR has modifications but pretty much stick with these seasons.
I believe you can still use a handgun, during the second season. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2016, 08:29 AM   #13
Jack O'Conner

Pennsylvania has a flintlock only deer season. Flintlock hunting is especially challenging when the humidity is high. I do not understand the science of it, but pan powder is difficult to ignite during high humidity.

Jack
Old January 3, 2016, 06:57 PM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
MS changed this year. The old single shot rules still apply to public land but private land is weapon of choice.
Hawg, weapon of choice is only for subsequent primitive weapons days. The first one (doe only) is still true primitive weapons on all land.
Old January 3, 2016, 09:16 PM   #15
Mobuck

MO has an "alternative methods" season. Methods include crossbow, ML, handgun, air rifle, and atl-atl.
Old January 3, 2016, 09:34 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, weapon of choice is only for subsequent primitive weapons days. The first one (doe only) is still true primitive weapons on all land.
You are correct Doyle. First season is limited to single shot breech loaders or real muzzle loaders until after Nov. 30.