The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
boy412

Redding powder measures

I'm looking at two Redding powder measures. Would the 3BR with the pistol metering insert be equal to the 10X in terms of accuracy? I have a 3BR now, but it came with the Universal insert. So now I either return this and get the 10X, or shell out another $40 for the pistol insert.

I'll be measuring mostly large pistol and small rifle loads. If the insert will be as good then I have no problem buying one, but if the 10X (which is purpose built for smaller charges) is better somehow then that's what I want.

Thanks!
Old September 13, 2009, 04:49 PM   #2
wncchester

Redding's pistol chamber is made to measure small charges The unversal chamber will measure anything but is supposed to be slightly less consistant with really small charges.

I'd like to have the pistol chamber but the universal is good enough for anything I shoot. Don't think my pistol loads would be any better even if I weighed them individually so I save the money for more powder, etc.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:04 PM   #3
SQUAREKNOT

I have the same Redding unit as you do. I just ordered the pistol chamber from Midwayusa. The "big" standard unit works very well with powders like W231. I ran a test of 25 dumps with Blue Dot and also Unique. Shooting for a 6.0gr load or Unique there was some wild charges-as much as .5gr high and low.
Blue Dot did a bit better but I was using an 8.00gr or 9.00gr test dump.
The unit will not ship for another week so I can't report on how it did.
I was also using W231 and it metered perfectly in the large chamber. What I did discover was W231 pressures load up fast with heavy for cal. bullets and coupled with the use of Winchester primers "FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM LOADS" even midrange loads flattened the primers pretty bad.
Old September 13, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
boy412

Right now I'm using W231 as well. Let us know how the pistol drum works out!

Can you please elaborate on the interaction of the primers you're using and the powder? I have those same primers too.
Old September 15, 2009, 08:02 AM   #5
SQUAREKNOT

Can you please elaborate on the interaction of the primers

I called the W231 manufacturer and he stated that Winchester primers are for standard or magnum and are therefore magnum primers. 175gr in .40 and 230 gr
in .45 were showing flattened primers at midrange and even starting loads. This went away when I tried CCI LP primers. HE said that ball powders are harder to fire up so they use the hotter primers. I have never run into this before. I appears to me the new WLP are hotter than before ??