The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2009, 08:18 PM   #26
Colorado Redneck

Hoarders

It seems that around the time that Obama was nominated there came a bunch of stories about gun control being in our near future. A little while back there was a proposal (Thune ammendment) to allow concealed carry permits from any state to be recognized by all other states. It was narrowly defeated...I think the senate vote was 58-39 or something like that. The point of my post is this: There was distinct majority of the U.S.Senate that were in favor of this ammendment. So I am pretty confident that we are not headed for any draconian gun control in the near future.

The main cause of the shortages has been hoarders....the guys that bought into the story line that Obama was gonna take our stuff. And those guys bought up more stuff than they needed cause they were afraid. Made it kinda tough on the rest of us. Thanks guys.
Old September 14, 2009, 08:01 AM   #27
gwalchmai

Quote:
The main cause of the shortages has been hoarders....the guys that bought into the story line that Obama was gonna take our stuff. And those guys bought up more stuff than they needed cause they were afraid. Made it kinda tough on the rest of us. Thanks guys.
I think the shortage was driven more by an influx of new reloaders than "hoarders". By the time speculators drove prices above $40/K there were no quantities available to hoard.

As far as hoarders, you can complain about it all you like, but it will always happen, and appeals to reason will be ignored. Allowing supply & demand to control prices is really the only thing which will reduce hoarding.

Long-time reloaders are aware that periodic shortages, and their resulting price increases, are a fact of life, and the wise man builds up his stocks during times of plenty.
Old September 14, 2009, 08:51 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

The shortage was started long before the election by the military tripling and quadrupling (depending on the year) some of its orders to replenish stockpiles between 2006 and 2008. In May of 2007 an Army Times article explained how military orders had already caused 12 month delivery delays of some ammunition products to civilian dealers. The reloading market had been in a slump up to that point, so civilians weren't all that quick to notice things were getting scarce until early 2008. The election exacerbated the problem, of course, but it didn't cause it initially.

The extraordinary military orders were completed earlier this year, I believe, and that's why primers and other scarcities are starting to show up again. The post-election hoarding is waning because people have started to feel they have enough.

A Sierra tech told me another factor was the spike in metals prices two years ago. Because the industry had been in a slump, they figured they would put off ordering until prices came down and coast on their stockpiles. Once the shortage really got underway, they saw the stockpiles they had counted on lasting a couple of years consumed in 4 months. Then they were caught with no raw materials in the pipeline and had to start buying more expensive metal. That price factor will take awhile to cycle through the pipeline, too, even though metals prices went back down in 2008.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 14, 2009, 09:09 AM   #29
TangoMcBlasty

Quote:
we are not headed for any draconian gun control in the near future
You are right. The liberal elitist are too smart for this. They won't outright take away our guns. They will simply make it taboo to own them. They will use the mainstream media and its celebrities to mock us. They will label us as crazies... leftovers from a violent period that history would rather forget.

Don't believe me? Take the example of global warming or "climate change" as it's now called. We can't even have a scientific debate about it anymore. Anyone who questions the data is labeled a heretic. Anyone who is skeptical (this use to be known as the Scientific Method) is now ridiculed by no less than Al Gore.

The disarming of America will not be by force. It will be slow and insidious. It will take place in the halls of Universities and other forums where public opinion is formed.

No, they won't take away our guns. If we're not careful, they'll take away our willingness to use them for fear of being made into pariahs.
Old September 14, 2009, 09:14 AM   #30
LeopardCurDog

Mid $20 a thousand for primers is a pretty common price. Been that amount around here for the last couple years.
Old September 14, 2009, 09:45 AM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

That's probably their strategy, if they even have a coherent one? I don't think they really do. I think they just keep their eyes peeled for tragedies to exploit or opportunities like the Mexican gun influx to drug gangs situation to try for an indirect control opportunity.

The global warming crowd I've seen lately doesn't have the intellectual honesty to answer the criticisms of their methodology and conclusions, so they try to unilaterally cut off the debate by declaring victory. The so-called consensus among scientists for human-caused global warming, at least, the idea it is caused by carbon dioxide, seems to be diminishing.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 15, 2009, 09:02 AM   #32
steve4102

I just got a call from the NRA asking for $$. They are seeking funds to fight a legal battle with the Obama Administration and it's treaty agreements with the UN. According to the NRA telemarketer, Obama with the help of the UN, is going to make firearm and ammo ownership, production and importation illegal in the USA.
He is not going to accomplish this with the help of congress. He is bypassing them altogether. The NRA will have to fight this in court as our legislators have nothing to say about it.

Of course I told them NO.. I just had to Laugh.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:07 AM   #33
Lavid2002

I think its ironic that everyone in the shooting sports hates obama, and everyone who is against firearms likes obama. I shoot a lot. I also like obama....so every time I walk into a gun store and I have to hear about how ****ty obama is I just blow it off and get what I need :P
Old September 15, 2009, 09:28 AM   #34
gwalchmai

Quote:
I shoot a lot. I also like obama.
I once saw a National Geographic episode about people eating dogs in Thailand. It showed a man going to a pen to select a pup for his dinner. Following along was the man's pet dog. The man killed a dog from the pen, slaughtered it, and fed some scraps to his pet pooch. It reminded me of the capos at Auschwitz.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:31 PM   #35
tpareloader

Politics aside, $50/1000 is a crappy deal. You did right by not buying his stuff.