The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1
kealil

Quick Question

I've started loading for 38special/357 and I've run into a snag. I use Red Dot almost exclusively and I'm having issues finding load data for a 158gn LRN using Red Dot. The closest I've found comes from Alliant's website for a 158gn LSWC at 3.4gn.

Can I use this data for the 158gn LRN as well? I would assume so because they are both hunks of lead coming out of a revolver but I want to get a few other opinions before I go off the deep end. Also note that I doubt that I'm gonna blow up my security six with 3.4gn of red dot but why waste the effort if its not gonna at least shoot somethin out the other end?

Also, just as a side note, I use Red Dot almost exclusively because it works in my other calibers AND I got 50lbs of it for 25% the original cost.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Duke City Six

I've only been reloading for a few months, so I'm not an expert. However, my understanding is that with 38 Special and CAST LEAD bullets, if the bullet weight is the same, you can interchange load data for different bullet shapes, as long as the seating depth is about the same. 158 grain LRN vs 158 grain LSWC is probably the best example. As always, start low and work up.

Last edited by Duke City Six; November 28, 2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:44 AM   #3
farmerboy

50 pounds of Red Dot??? Wow
Old November 28, 2011, 01:50 AM   #4
Duke City Six

Yeah, 50 lbs of ANY powder = WOW!

Last edited by Duke City Six; November 28, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old November 28, 2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Duke City Six

Also, just in case you missed the fine print, most of the loads listed on Alliant's site are max loads, and they recommend reducing the loads by 10% to start.
Old November 28, 2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

At 25%? Double WOW

To get 50 lbs for what an 8lb keg usually costs? Super wow.

(Don't fault my math. The OP stated 25% of original cost. A 50# keg is per pound usually about 20% less than the per pound cost of an 8# keg.)

Where can I get a deal like that?

Duke City Six is right on. Just remember that it is the volume UNDER the bullet that is the critical dimension for pressure and the length is just a proxy to tell you that. The overall length is also important to ensure the round is short enough that your bullet nose does not stick out of the front of the chambers of the cylinder, thus not binding the cylinder's rotation.

The length of the bearing surface of any given shape bullet also affects the pressure to be expected, but it is a relatively minor factor and does not vary that much from bullet to bullet (shape) anyway.

Lost Sheep
Old November 28, 2011, 11:22 AM   #7
k4swb

Not Important

Any part of a bullet that DOES NOT TOUCH the barrel when fired is not important when figuring load data IMO. Bullets with the SAME bearing surfaces and weight will work with the same data. Nose profile will not matter.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:51 PM   #8
kealil

Ok good I to here, didn't realize that the alliant loads were max loads. Big help there.

I got that powder from an LGS that was goingout of business, he had the powders marked for 50% off so I made an offer on the Red Dot since I use it for many different calibers and it was the only one with a significant amount left. I lucked out and cleaned him out.

Thanks for all the advice, I know where to start now
Old November 30, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
savagelover

can't help but wonder if it is legal to have that much powder sitting around one's home..If you really have it is another question...