The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2006, 06:20 PM   #1
springmom

Solunar tables: whitetail horoscope or science?

I always check the solunar tables when I'm going hunting. I know when the "best" times and the "good" times are supposed to be, and today at least, they were correct for where I was hunting (no, didn't get one, dangit).

But I always feel a little silly doing this...sort of like when I was a kid and always read the horoscope in the paper. It was superstition, I knew it was superstition, but I just *had* to read it. Now, I just *have* to check the solunar tables.

What do you all think? Is the solunar data important? Is it valid? And if so, how important is it compared with, say, weather (temp, wind, cloud cover) in determining whitetail activity on a given day? Do you check the tables? What has your experience shown?

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 11, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
mete

I do know that a full moon makes a significant difference as they can very easily feed all night and hide in the day. I know from years of experience that they are very sensitive to pressure changes -they feed very heavily just before the storm.10 days ago we had a violent storm come through with some tornados nearby .My friend said he knew we were in for violent weather as the deer and turkeys were acting strangly !! I wouldn't doubt that the lunar changes have an effect since it raises the tides and makes people weird ! BTW we are now being effected [communications anyway] by a sun spot that is 10 times bigger than earth !!I wonder if that has an effect ??
Old December 11, 2006, 09:59 PM   #3
rem33

Yep I agree on the weather, storms, or even cloudy days seem to make a difference in their movements. If it's going to rain tonight there is a good chance hunting will be good in the afternoon etc.