The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 18, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Gerry

Printable dartboard targets for playing Shanghai

We've been using the "Targetz" dart board printed on 8 1/2" X 11" paper for playing handgun Shanghai at the range, but we find that the double and triple areas way to thin even with the target set 8 to 10 feet away. I think in the last 10 games, no one has ended the game early by getting an actual "Shanghai". And < 50% lapping a triple/double area doesn't count because some of the gals shoot .22 pistols, and we guys with our .45 1911s would have an unfair advantage with the big holes.

I'm looking for a more suitable target with the double/triple areas a bit bigger in proportion to the singles, but still easy to see from 8' away on 8.5X11". I found the Gunloads one, but the crazy colors just don't work well in black & white. I know, I know... I could probably create our own with a bit of time... but just wondering first if anyone has a favourite one they actually use for this game?
Old April 18, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
jborushko

why not just use the hole center as the score? that way over lap is meaningless

cus remember bigger score targets makes it easier! and we wouldn't want that would we?

Last edited by jborushko; April 18, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 18, 2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Gerry

Basically that's what we do.. in other words, an obvious greater than 50% on area for the .45 is good. We're a little bit more forgiving for the .22s though. If they hit the edge, we usually call it.

Keep in mind the double and triple areas are about 1/8th of an inch thick, and a .45 230gr ACP hole is like 1/2" thick. It's a pretty darn small target!

It's rather funny how other folks got into this silly game at our range. It used to be just us and another couple we know. A couple guys shooting on their own wondered what the heck we were doing with our targets so close, and just thought us either crazy or complete handgun newbies. Now one of those guys and his wife is into it, and got another few folks he knows into it too. We're now 12 regulars who do this a couple times each month, with almost 20 people involved in total. It's pretty fun and competitive with some guys even taking it too seriously at times!
Old May 7, 2011, 03:09 PM   #4
zippy13

I was under the impression that, in pistol shooting, the larger the caliber, the more difficult it is to shoot; therefore, it's fair that the bigger caliber guns have larger scoring areas. In centerfire pistol matches there's often a trade off, do you select an easier shooting .32, or a .38 with its bigger hole?

On the other hand, you're shooting at a pretty close range, I've never shot at anything that close, but I've never wintered-over in Canada. If your targets are only 8 to 10 feet away, it seems the guys with the longest arms have the greatest advantage.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:10 PM   #5
Gerry

A .22 or 9mm is not necessarily easier to hit a target than a .45 1911 because of its caliber, unless the shooter has a flinch that anticipates later recoil after the bullet has left the barrel.

Larger caliber pistols simply take more time to regain a sight picture, and are harder physically on your arms and shoulders after a full day of shooting due to harder recoil. This isn't that much of a factor in this fun little game, where time isn't an issue and its us guys that mainly shoot the larger guns.

In sports such as IPSC, power is rewarded (except for Production) because time is an issue, and your score is affected by it. The power affects your ability to shoot accurately quickly so much, that everyone I know who competes loads their own ammo to just safely satisfy the requirements of the "Power Factor" they decide to shoot with. We do the same, since my wife and I are also into IPSC on a regional level.

This is just a fun informal game we do with friends that gives us a break from the pressure of having to "Stand by" before the shot timer beeps.