The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 10:08 PM   #26
gutiw

Plastic pows

If you want a collectible hang on to it for a long time, maybe 2 generations, don't use it and keep all the original packaging, I'm sure you'll find one basket case (in the future) similar to us that would really want it and pay dearly for it....just because...maybe even on ebay?

no?
Old October 29, 2009, 10:53 PM   #27
Sport45

Quote:
would really want it and pay dearly for it....just because...maybe even on ebay?

no?
Not a chance. Not on eBay anyway.

Otherwise you may be right.
Old October 30, 2009, 10:39 AM   #28
Usaro4

I buy guns that please me. Pretty wood and polished metal is more attractive than black plastic. Just my opinion.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:04 PM   #29
Coltman 77

I Just Love Handguns - Steel and Polymer

I've always been very partial to rich, deeply blued steel and walnut handguns which comprises most of my collection.

On the other hand, within the past year I've picked up two polymer sidearms -- a Walther PPS 9mm, which my wife carries concealed and a S&W M&P 9 for a range and truck gun.

I'll have to admit that these polymer pistols are accurate, reliable and easy to disassemble for cleaning.

I've been very impressed with both the PPS and the M&P.

As an avid collector and shooter, I'd say that polymer pistols do have a place in a well rounded collection.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old October 31, 2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Yankee Traveler

Quote:
Saying that polymer is just another word for plastic is like saying steel is just another word for metal. Both are technically true statements.... and both are completely meaningless. Saying that something is made of "plastic" is exactly the same as saying that something is made of "metal".
Hmm..But steel is a type of metal. Aluminum is a type of metal, as is gold and so on...
But polymer is a chain of monomers...but which type of monomer? Vinyl chloride, vinyl flouride, vinyl acetate? In other words, another word for plastic.
Old October 31, 2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Yankee Traveler

But I digress, I don't think Poly's are collectible, but they are good for the collection. If they are useable when pased on...so be it.
I have some of my dads craftsmans and some of my grandads craftsmans as well. If they fit the need they are used. If they get stripped out, they'll get replaced.
I think thats what they would have done...
Old November 1, 2009, 09:32 PM   #32
gyvel

I'm sure at some date in the not too distant future, there will be those who will specialize in collecting plastic guns, for example, Glocks, and will want to have a complete set of everything Glock makes or made. From a historical point of view, I see nothing wrong with that; In fact, I think it would be very educational to see something like it.

At some time, as technology advances, they may even become collectible as being representative of a bygone era when guns were still made of plastic and not "pressed fiberboard" (for example).

From a practical viewpoint, however, there are no really significant events or epochs associated with plastic guns as opposed to, say, Winchesters, which, right or wrong, are invariably associated with "The Old West," or 1911s which are associated with any number of wars that this country has fought.

For a gun to become "collectible," it has to have some history or "romance" involved with it. Plastic guns were developed as a manufacturing/cost expedient, and, as such, most likely will never have any significant collectibility any more than a garden variety Model 10 Smith & Wesson will.

Tags
handgun collection , polymer