The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 6, 2019, 01:51 AM   #1
Ipjames

What is this?

Hello everyone,

Im sorry for posting this in the general discussion but I wasnt sure where to go..

Anyway can someone tell me what I'm looking at here or at least point me in the right direction?

I'm not a rookie when it comes to firearms by any means but I honestly dont know where to even start looking with this piece...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7825.jpeg (99.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7816.jpeg (67.4 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_7817.jpeg (63.8 KB, 154 views)
Old January 6, 2019, 06:03 AM   #2
mag1911

I'll guess. Some sort of sub caliber training device for a larger artillery piece? Or possibly a spotter barrel for some recoilless rifle?
Old January 6, 2019, 03:35 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

It looks like a barrel,

and that looks like a bolt handle...

does it have a bore? approximate size??

Actual breech mechanism? Chamber? Firing mechanism? It appears incomplete which makes things even more difficult to ID.

It might be homemade, might not even be a firearm though it does look like one.

Can't tell you what it is, sorry. I can tell you one thing it is not, it is not the spotter rifle (M8C) from the US 106mm recoilless rifle.

part of an artillery sub-caliber trainer, or blank firing demonstrator, possible. US or foreign? no idea.

Any markings on it??
Old January 6, 2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Ipjames

No markings that I could find. I’m not around it at the moment but I’ll try to get some better pictures. I thought it might belong to some type of artillery weapon but I really have no idea
Old January 6, 2019, 07:24 PM   #5
105kw

Punt Gun?
Is it smooth bore?
Old January 8, 2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Dano4734

Punt gun agree
Old January 8, 2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Ipjames

What makes you guys think it’s a punt gun? I’m a bit skeptical on that theory as it’s only about 2 feet long and the bore is probably smaller than a 12 gauge. I don’t mean any disrespect or anything as I genuinely don’t know. Were there smaller punt guns? The only ones I’ve ever seen were around 10 feet long or so.
Old January 8, 2019, 06:30 PM   #8
RC20

Harpoon gun.
Old January 9, 2019, 12:32 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Harpoon gun? Line throwing gun? We're really just shooting in the dark here..
I didn't see any kind of conventional attachment points for a stock. Either I missed them or it is something never made to use a regular stock.

If not, that argues against it being a rifle type line throwing or harpoon gun. Could be something meant to be mounted in a cradle or pintle, but again, nothing I saw shows clear attachment points (screw holes, or lugs or...??)

A bolt handle means something is meant to be opened and closed. Beyond that, we'd need a better view of the "breech" mechanism.

I feel pretty sure there are parts missing, which makes it more difficult to ID it as to type/use.

I once saw a single shot .50 "rifle" made from a Browning M2HB barrel. It was the full, unaltered machine gun barrel, with a homemade breech block screwed on the back end. The barrel was drilled to take pins (maybe screws) on each side, fitted into a U bracket (like an oarlock) mounted on a tripod. Barrel was also drilled and tapped for scope blocks and had a scope mounted.

The home made breech block had a firing pin and spring, a safety, and a trigger that stuck down from it. No trigger guard. Mechanically, it would have worked. Though I strongly suspect the gun was intended to have the gunner sight it, then get out of the way before pulling the trigger!

A good pic of the breech mechanism, and chamber, if possible would give us more to guess about. Right now, I am wondering if it was made for an actual cartridge, or for something else, like a bag charge, perhaps. Just wild guesses at this point, sorry. Doesn't match (or come close) to any commercial firearm I am aware of, I still think it might be a homemade "something", but unsure just what...
Old January 10, 2019, 11:54 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...Punt Gun?..." Too small. Punt guns were way bigger than that wee thing. 2 gauge and having 8 foot barrels was "normal". Likely too small for harpoons too.
I'd guess, sub-caliber training gun, but I suspect it's for a tank gun vs arty.
Old January 10, 2019, 06:15 PM   #11
SamNavy

Perhaps a small cermonial gun. If we knew it was rifled or not, would narrow down it shooting a projectile, or being for some other purpose.