The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Old Stony

Hog frustration...

http://imgur.com/3SdeHl0
Sometimes a guy can get a little frustrated at those derned hogs. I've had this bunch working the area around one of my traps lately, and finally decided to come on in last night. What happened?.....of course the door had a malfunction and didn't drop!
At least they didn't get scared away by it and maybe they will make another try at it tonight.
Old August 8, 2017, 06:33 PM   #2
ed308

I bet they'll be back. And they'll keep coming back till that door drops. Good luck.
Old August 8, 2017, 06:53 PM   #3
Capt Rick Hiott

DAM,,,nice trap!!
Old August 11, 2017, 11:07 AM   #4
thallub

They will be back.
Old August 11, 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Old Stony

They have been coming back, but for some reason only 1 or two a night seem to be getting caught. Had 2 again this morning. One of these days, I expect a bunch of them to stick around. Maybe I'm only catching the dumb ones.
Old August 11, 2017, 01:18 PM   #6
Model12Win

As long as it's stocked, they'll probably return.

I would lie and wait with a grenade launcher close at hand. Or just let the trap trap them.
Old August 11, 2017, 01:20 PM   #7
O4L

Is your door rigged up with a trip wire?

I've been thinking about getting one of the doors that drop remotely using your cell phone. With a cell phone camera you can see when the whole sounder is in the trap and hit the button to drop the door.
Old August 11, 2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Old Stony

Yup...the trap is rigged up with a sorta red necked trip wire. They wander around eating the corn until one of them trips the door. I have several traditional traps that use different methods of dropping the doors and they all seem to work okay. I doubt I'll ever have any of the high tech stuff to use my cell phone on, but that could be handy.
Old August 11, 2017, 10:34 PM   #9
O4L

The only reason I'm thinking about getting the remote set up is because I know some land owners that are willing to spend some money to trap hogs.

I might start a side business hog trapping if I find enough interest from land owners around here.
Old August 12, 2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Old Stony

I was sitting at a stop light a few days ago and a fellow pulled up next to me pulling a cattle trailer. This was a really long trailer (3 axles under it), and it was loaded end to end with feral hogs. I don't know how many, but there was really a big bunch of them. Some guys trap them to sell to the guys that have game ranches...which seems like a pretty crummy way to lower the hog levels out there...but to each his own.
I'm too old and have no interest in dealing with live feral hogs...I will just keep doing what I'm doing, but there is a market out there for them. The markets seem to vary between hunting companies and meat exporters. We even have an alligator farm not too far from here that buys them, but they don't pay much and will only buy them alive.
Old August 12, 2017, 05:23 AM   #11
O4L

I really have no interest in dealing with live hogs and certainly not selling them to game ranches to be released again.

I would offer hogs to locals for the meat or try to find some way to donate the meat to the poor.

Otherwise, probably dig a big hole and bury them or use for coyote bait.
Old August 12, 2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Old Stony

I at least take the hind legs off of any that are edible, and throw them in the freezer. I attend a monthly shoot, and I pass out the legs to the members. They have eaten a lot of my hogs. A few other guys around take some also, so I manage to keep a little freezer space open for other things.
I will have several large coolers full going to a muzzleloader shoot tomorrow.
Old August 12, 2017, 08:22 PM   #13
alex0535

Keep bait out, pigs return to reliable food sources until they know it's a trap.