The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2009, 05:47 AM   #26
bpratl

Started reloading in 1960 in 222 with a texan turret press which i still use.
Everything sat on the back burner from 1985 till 2008 when i started again after semi retirement. Presently reloading 222, 204 Ruger,7-30 Waters,270 Weatherby,243 W and 45-70 Govt.
Old May 3, 2009, 06:04 AM   #27
Sensai

I started reloading in 1964 and started casting in 1965, it's been one of my prime hobbies since then. I have had several interuptions while I had to go save the world and make it safe for democracy, but have always gotten right back into it. I hope that one day I'll actually learn how to do it perfectly, but until then I sure have fun trying.

One thing to remember is that all of the information that you receive on the internet, on any subject, is somebodies opinion, and we all make mistakes. There has only been one perfect person, and we nailed him on a cross.

Take-offs are optional, landings are manditory!!
Old May 3, 2009, 07:25 AM   #28
Qtiphky

Relax and don't take is so personal

Dan,
I feel as though I have become the thread killer. Every time I post, whether it is in response to somones question or if I ask my own, it doesn't seem to get much response from people. I don't take it personally and I don't consider myself less intelligent than the people who may respond, or not respond. I think you are being a little too sensitive to some of the comments. I read almost every entry on this blog and I don't really recall anyone being as rude or mean as you say. I know a lot of people in the world that have great information but bad delivery, get through this and the truth and great information usually lies beneath.

That said, I started loading shotgun back in high school in the early '80's until the early '90's. Then college, marriage, kids, and work presented itself in my life and I stopped reloading, but save all my gear. Three houses and 20+ years later I set it back up and started again. Now I load for pistol and rifle mainly, but my shotgun stuff is still there. I load for 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and just got dies for 357 Sig. In rifles, 204 Ruger, 223 Rem, 30 M1 Carbine, 270 Win, 308 Win, and 300 WSM and enjoy reloading them as much as shooting them.
Old May 3, 2009, 07:49 AM   #29
45Marlin carbine

began loading pistol and casting pistol slugs mid-80's. now load for several pistol and 2 rifle chamberings.
nephew inherited a nice Marlin 30-30 about 5 months back and I'm still checking all info I come across for helpful hints and data from experienced loaders this round.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:01 AM   #30
Sevens

Gotta agree with Sixer. I am not sure where all the hostility is coming from... and in this thread, all I'm seeing is a bunch of folks reminiscing about where they've come from and how they got started in the hobby.

I think things are in pretty good shape.

There's no doubt that some questions are quite basic. Is there anything wrong with that? Depends on perception. Look at the "number of loads from one pound" question. Is this a basic question? Sure it is. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked. Certainly doesn't mean that one poster ought to add his smarmy remarks.

But that's kind of the nature of discussion forums. You've got like a dozen helpful folks and one rude guy.

Really-- if the one rude guy is going to cheese you off to the point where you get this upset... then internet forums may not be for you. Sure, never cool to be a snotty, rude, unhelpful loudmouth, but that is one of the "features" of internet discussion forums. Either take the good and get over the bad, or just walk away entirely.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:11 AM   #31
wncchester

"Ok well I guess I will ask the STAFF to please close this Thread. Seems that this thread is ONLY for the most BILLIANT MINDS and us Newbies or not so Brilliant Minds do not deserve to have our Questions answered or even thought about by those that are Superior to us.

To answer your question; The main reason that I started this thread is that I was CURIOUS as too waht kind of Experience was here..."

Perhaps so. Or, perhaps you miss understand some of the resonders. I've been loading since '65 and have learned a lot - mostly on my own, not needing or even wanting to be spoon fed. BUT, I answer rational questions to the best of my ability to help newbies.

That said, it's frustrating to deal with questions the loader can easily find for himself IF he would simply do his own homework. Or even think for himself. Such as variations on "What's the best load and OAL for a .274 Remchester Stainless with 32 inch barrel, fiberglass stock and a 6-18x Barska scope in Weaver mounts." I mean we have to dig through a mountian of trivia to even find the question sometimes and then it's just silly at heart.

Exerience is a squishy thing. Some have loaded 20,000 rounds of three handgun loads and therefore know little of reloading but consider themselves to be expert based on the number of loaded rounds. Actually, they know nearly nothing.

Others who shoot and actually develope loads for 5-6 guns but have only loaded maybe 1,000 rounds can be quite knowledgable.

Thus, experiece is less valuable than knowledge. ???

Don't ask questions if you want others to coddle you with lots of winsome words. We ain't scinetis or shycolgists, we be shooters and reloaders!
Old May 3, 2009, 08:23 AM   #32
Mike Irwin
Staff

Started 1978 or 1979 when I was 13 or 14, even earlier if you count the time I spent reloading under my Dad's eye.

100,000+ rounds reloaded in 30 or so years, probably closer to 125,000 rounds from the years when Dad and I were shooting shotgun very heavily during the summers.

During quite a few of those years, though, my reloading total was actually close to zero, years when I was in college and especially after I moved to Washington, DC, in the early 1990s.

I reload, or have reloaded for in the past but no longer do, for:

Rifle:

.220 Swift
.222 Remington
.243 Winchester
.25-20 Winchester
6.5mm Arisaka
.270 Winchester
.300 Savage
.30-06
7.5x55mm Swiss
.35 Remington

Handgun:

.32 Smith & Wesson Long
.32-20 Winchester*
.357 Magnum*
.380 ACP
.38 Special*
.38 Smith & Wesson
9mm Luger
10mm Auto
.41 Magnum*
.44 Special*
.45 ACP*

Shotgun:

12 gauge
20 gauge

The cartridges marked with * are the ones that I have loaded in the past year. I'm getting set up to start reloading .243 again now that I have my Father's .243, and I will probably start reloading 9mm Makarov this year if the ammunition situation continues to be so tight.

If you want to avoid blowing your face off, back up whatever advice you get here with information found in a reloading manual or a comprehensive overview book like the ABCs of Reloading.

You should have at least two reloading manuals that you use to check and counter check your loading data and any loading data you get from the web. You should also avail yourself of the free loading information that many of the manufacturers put on their websites.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:37 AM   #33
dahermit

I am relatively new, started hand loading and casting bullets in 1965.
But, keep in mind that I have been breathing since 1943 and I still know very little about the respiratory system.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:49 AM   #34
Savage99

I have been handloading since March 1953.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:14 AM   #35
Dragon55

Started reloading .40 and .45 since Jan because my buddy decided he wasn't interested in it anymore.

I've been known for some pretty risky behavior in the past (underwater cave diving, skydiving, dirt track racing) BUT due to some very good advice from several folks on this forum I have approached this new hobby from a very safe and deliberate procedure.

I'm sure there are others but poster SEVENS comes to mind a couple months back as giving some very good advice.

When I see some of the pics of some of the awesome setups for reloading I wonder how do these folks find the time to shoot the thousands of rounds that can be produced.

Someone on this forum gave me a caveat about reloading that has turned out to be very true. That is that reloading is almost as much fun as shooting.
I'll have to say 'guilty' for me.

As far as the smarta$$'$ that pop up occasionally just lurking to shank you verbally I try to ignore them much as I would in any other situation. After all it's a very different world sitting behind a keyboard talking to anonymous people than actually speaking to them in person.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:25 AM   #36
bgdv1

i started reloading on my own when i was 16 after many years of learning from dad, im 43 now and load for 270,308,30-06,30-338,9mm,45lc. ive loaded for 44mag,357,45acp. next venture will be 223 since my son and i are wanting to buy a couple AR's. i dont shoot as much now as i used to but i will never stop reloading. and you are never to smart to learn something new while doing something you enjoy.
Old May 3, 2009, 09:35 AM   #37
Ozzieman

Well I have reloaded now for 2,342 years!

Like anything else on the net you better check your own resources before you take any ones word on anything.
Also number of rounds you have loaded or the number of years is meaningless.
The only time I have been hurt at a range was by a reloader that had been reloading for over 15 years and was supposed to be a "Very good reloader" that blew up an AR next to me. I got hit with the charging handle in the face.
He put pistol powder in a 223 case and that was the second gun he blew up in 3 years.
What I use this forum for is to learn new tricks and ideas,,,, like putting dryer sheets in the case tumbler,,, getting ideas for loads that have worked for other people in specialized gun applications.
As far as "CRAP that people hand out." I am happy to put up with that for the few REALLY GOOD IDEAS that I have picked up here and I have been reloading now for over 30 years and I was also lucky to be the right hand man for a gentleman that had a bullet making business and reloading business in the late 70's through the 80's.
The point is, you will learn more from people with experience than you will from your own mistakes. I know I did,,, and I really appreciate the input that I have gotten and help that people have shared at TFL.
You just need to listen to the best and ignore everything else and be grateful for what you pick up.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:15 AM   #38
WESHOOT2

since you asked so nicely

I started, for my (first) Security Six, in 1976.
I already had a significant pile of published/printed information (yes I still have it).
Then, after some years, I went insane, and made significant quantities, not just for myself.
Nowadays I am (mostly) sane again, due to the constant surgeries

So I think I have a bit of experience, but it is limited to handgun cartridges.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:44 AM   #39
Jim Watson

I agree with Dipper in post #23.

There are a lot of Internet Questions that my only answer to is "Look in the book." If you do not own and comprehend a general reloading manual from one or another of the bullet companies, the instructions for each piece of equipment, and the FREE data from powder companies, you are not ready to reload. And you are not going to learn how one question at a time on the internet. Not safely and effectively.

"How many rounds can I reload out of a pound of powder?"
Page 468 in Lyman #47:
"Pounds - 7000 Grains"
Public school arithmetic:
7000 grains in a pound divided by 44 grains in a cartridge equals 159 shots.

As Ozzieman says, you can get the refinements here, but it is not really the place for basics, although some considerate posters will try to write you a book.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:07 AM   #40
Dan The Sig Man

Well I have a few Manuals and I have COMPLETELY read the Lee Modern Reloading Second Addition. And as stated in other Threads, I have not reloaded the first round and have read every page of that book. I KNOW that manuals are very helpful and I would never reload without reading a couple manuals or doing other reading and research. As stated in a previous post here in this thread, I am not meaning to come off as a Jerk, or trying to Validate anyone and thier experience... I really just wondered how long everyone here has been reloading.

Thanks for your replies and again I have listened to quite a bit of info that I have received here and I plan to get a couple more Manuals before I start actually reloading.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:46 AM   #41
JD 500

Dan - Don't let a couple Dumba**es get you down.

Personally I couldn't agree with you more. And I would NOT say this is limited to TFL forums. There will always be someone who could read a post and move on, but yet chooses for some reason, to add comments, they could have left out. Happens here, the other forums I hang out at, and pretty much everywhere. It's life.

With that said, I've reloaded since 1987. 4 or 5 handgun cartridges, and 2 or 3 rifle.

I have been given, free of charge, tips and tricks and info that are simply not in a reloading manual, on these forums. These forums are invaluable.

You and only you will have to look at the information, cross reference it with what you see in manuals, and use your head in determining what make sense and what is reliable information. Should you choose to hang out, I think you will recognize people who offer good information, and begin to figure out who gives good advice.

Here's my advice.

Those manuals have the essential info to do this safely.
You have to take what the manual says as reallity.
If you want to try a recipe, do exactly as the recipe says. Exact components. Exact cartridge length, etc...
And use modern (current) manuals that have data based on current powders.

good luck
Old May 3, 2009, 11:55 AM   #42
That'll Do

I've been reloading for about 8 months.

I've found it to be a rewarding hobby, and I've noticed that I really enjoy shooting a lot more now that I know what I'm loading into my gun.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:58 AM   #43
Shaun_300

I've only been reloading for a little over a month. I REALLY enjoy it, I've loaded over 300 rounds so far. I load for the .220 Swift, .22-250, .25-06, .308 and .300 WSM. I'll probably get dies for .270 and .30-06 if I come across some for a good deal. A lot of my uncles and cousins shoot them.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:16 PM   #44
Kendo

I have been loading 12 ga lead for 5 years. Been loading 12 ga steel for 2 yrs. Have been getting my stuff together for reloading rifle and pistol for 3 months. Have yet to load my first metalic round in either. Dan from one new guy to another, hang in there. I had never been on a forum before in my life until a few months ago, this is my second forum. The first did not go so well. I got into it over a hunting deal over on the other site,I believe my last words over there was "Yall are a bunch of tree huggin,dog kissin, anti's !!" And some of them were. I tried to go back later in the post and smooth some things over but it was to late. If I posted anything over there it was pretty obvious that I had been BLACK BALLED. That particular forum loved to argue and bash each other as long as you have at least a 1000 post. I've been in construction my entire life so I'm kinda a hard old feller and have always said exactly what I feel when asked or prompted. Face to face is totally different than on a computer,Ive learned. Now that bein said,To my experience ,the folks here are not at all like the other forum I was on. Every one I have dealt with here has been very freindly and helpful. I havent had one negative remark to any of my repetative questions. These guys, at least the ones that have dealt with me, are great.I will say this though, there are some extremely smart folks on here that can make me realize just how much I dont know. This is only my second forum, but after my first experience,well I'll be here as long as they will have me. Hang in there Dan.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:31 PM   #45
rn22723

Quote:

There are a lot of Internet Questions that my only answer to is "Look in the book." If you do not own and comprehend a general reloading manual from one or another of the bullet companies, the instructions for each piece of equipment, and the FREE data from powder companies, you are not ready to reload. And you are not going to learn how one question at a time on the internet. Not safely and effectively.

Page 468 in Lyman #47:
"Pounds - 7000 Grains"

As Ozzieman says, you can get the refinements here, but it is not really the place for basics, although some considerate posters will try to write you a book.
Way to go! My Dear Watson!

Yeah Dan the Sig Man.....most dumbass questions are easily answered by having invested in the time to learn the craft. Most dumbass questions are deserving of smart ass answers in reply. If you do not have the time and inclination to reload THEN DON'T DO IT!

Then you have questions about cost! GEEZ that is easy to do figure out what it costs to put product on your doorstep....it is easy. DO THE WORK!

Lazy ass people abound!.. While reloading is not rocket science it does take some ability to read, pay attention, and do the work! So Dan you can take things for what is worth! I have been reloading since 1973 and started with a Lee Loader...graduated over time Dillon 450 to a 550. I have loaded in excess of 400,000 rds of 45ACP alone, and probably half that amount in 38/357..... and nearly 100K of 9MM.....So have that covered.....and an whole slew of 223, 308, 06, and a smattering of other calibers......over time....
Old May 3, 2009, 12:40 PM   #46
CrustyFN

I started reloading three years ago and have loaded a lot in those three years. I still have a lot to learn. I started with 9mm because those are my competition guns. I added 223, 38 spcl and 45 auto.
Dan the best advice I can give you is to double check any info you are given no matter how long or how much experience the person that gave it to you has. Anybody can make a mistake or have a type-o. I just made a type-o the other day myself and had to go back and correct it. Take your time, load safe and enjoy your new hobby.
Rusty
Old May 3, 2009, 12:43 PM   #47
Mark whiz

I reckon I have about 10 years since my 1st attempt at reloading. I started cause I wanted to try the Tubb Final Finish bullets to help an old .308's barrel. Then I tried some .38Spcl loads and they shot so much better than factory that I was hooked from then on.
!
Old May 3, 2009, 12:44 PM   #48
PBKing

Quote:

Page 468 in Lyman #47:
"Pounds - 7000 Grains"

Should be a Sticky.

Started in 1988 With the first press I purchased and the last press I would part with..RCBS RC

It's like De Ja vu all over again but this time it is Super Sized

Last edited by PBKing; May 3, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:45 PM   #49
Shoney

I started loading at very tender age in 1960. Noone in my family or circle of friends reloaded. I got the bug by watching the owner of a local sporting good store reload in the back room of the store.

After about a year of saving money earned from cutting lawns and shoveling snow, I plunked the money down on a Pacific Loading Kit, but the clerk at the store said I need to have my parents pick it up, pointing out that I could not possily get that big chunk of metal home on my bicycle.

That old phart clerk (he was probably 40 years old, but ancient to me), talked with my mother the next day, and heagreed to give me pointers once I had read the manual.

I have now reloaded for around 3 dozen different rifle and pistol cartridges. I still have the Pacific press, and have added a second single stage press and two progressive pressed.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 3, 2009, 12:51 PM   #50
dmazur

I got started in reloading around 1979 with Lee's "whack a mole" reloading kits. That's been a while ago, but I remember doing .45 ACP, .44 Mag, .30-06 Sprg and .222 Rem.

I didn't shoot much, except for sighting-in before hunting, so I never got into volume reloading until around 1998 or so. At that time I started loading .45 ACP with a vengeance and I got a Dillon 550B. The quick change toolhead was kind of an unused feature, as I was only loading the one cartridge, but I learned to clean and maintain the press and crank out rounds.

For some reason I decided to get some more dies and start reloading for the other cartridges in my stable, which included .44 Mag and two bottleneck cartridges, .243 Win and .30-06 Sprg. So, around 2001 I got some additional toolheads, dies and powder measures and started taking advantage of the 550B's quick-change.

Addition of a Garand may have had something to do with the desire to reload .30-06 Sprg in quantity...

In the last year or so I've been learning more about headspace and gauges than I planned to, initially.

So, I have around 10 years of experience and I consider myself a beginner.