The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Lackwell

Problem with big barrel reloads

I have 10 1/4 inch 44 mag bull barrel. I have traditionally just reloaded
at a safe mid range load from the standard reload tables. I have inspected
the cases and see no problems but I was wondering since the tables are
normally for smaller barrels if this is safe enough. I do not have a chronometer available. How much increase in pressure is to be expected? Any comments?
Old August 10, 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
LuckyStrike

It should be just fine, especially if you aren't noticing any high pressure signs in the cases and are not experiencing excessive recoil. Usually the 'max' loads that the manuals put out are pretty mild because they know people are going to load right up to those max loads anyway, so there is still going to be room for safety. And since you are loading to a medium load you should be fine.

BTW, a chronograph is a great investment for a reloader. You can get one on Midwayusa.com for around $80, they work great and you will be able to see your true velocities, the numbers in the book are going to be very rough estimates of what your gun and bullets will actually be doing.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
mkl

Your longer barrel will affect the speed of the bullet, but will have no effect on maximum pressure. Your pressure peak will occur in the first inch or so of any barrel. Your longer barrel will allow the gas pressure exerted by the burning powder to remain behind the bullet a little longer giving it a somewhat higher velocity than would occur with a barrel say of 6-inches.

As long as you stay within the range the loading books recommend, you should be safe.
Old August 10, 2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Mkl is correct. Some single-shots, like my Encore, when it's wearing its 8" .44 Mag barrel, seem to recoil harder than a big revolver with the same barrel length just due to the weight difference. That might fool you into thinking the longer barrel was being subjected to higher pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 10, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
happy1

Actually a barrel longer then 8 1/2 inches in a revolver the bullet loses velocity due to side blast Not so with a 8 in encore barrel where the gas has no other place to vent but out the muzzle. Or so I've been told.

Paul
Old August 10, 2009, 06:31 PM   #6
CraigC

As the others have said, barrel length has no effect on pressure. Twist rate, however, does.

Quote:
Actually a barrel longer then 8 1/2 inches in a revolver the bullet loses velocity
What exactly is that statement based on?