The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

The boy, the dog and me.

G'day. I took my son and our dog out to a nearby Station and got some pet food Sunday afternoon. I only had .22lr with me this time, without a scope either. The grass/Spinafex is tall (2-3 feet) and green at the moment thanks to all the rain we have been having. We worked our way around some hills hoping to spook something. We got about a mile from the house before we had any luck. I herd some noise on the side of the hill about 130 meters away. I had 2 shots and saw my target go down. Had to cross a creek and work my way up the hill, then I couldn't find it.
The dog, a Jack Russel that had never been out hunting was frustratingly useless. Mind you she will chase anything that moves. (A 10 inch dog in 30 inch grass! possibly not the best choice.)The boy finally found the lifeless body about 20 meters from where it was shot. No visible bullet holes but lots of blood around the nose. The dog walked over it and completely ignored it, stupid dog. (Probably stupid owner not training the dog.) Well I set out to cut off some legs to carry back to the house/car.
NOTE 1. Make sure knife blade is sharp.
NOTE 2. Make sure to take an appropriate knife, a Leatherman is not the best option. It is OK on things like Rabbit.
We eventually headed on our way back to the house, now the dog wants to play tug-o-war on the legs that I was carrying. My son was very helpful, he carried the gun. (He will be 18 soon, about 6 foot & 85 kg.)
NOTE 3. I am way unfit to be traipsing up and down hills.
Some good news, I have been invited back to the Station on Tuesday to go and check on some 'flood gates' and I was told to bring a gun and a pack lunch. There are pigs around so I think I might take the .270.
Old March 9, 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Big Bill

Good story! What was your quarry? What are your plans for the Jack Russel? Are you going to train her?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 9, 2009, 03:02 AM   #3
butta9999

What were you shooting skulls.... Sounds good, great to see the young fella involved.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:13 AM   #4
redrocketman

G'day yer i try to get involved when i can, me old man is no were near as fit as i am any more so he needs a hand to carry his lever action rifle.He may not be to bright, but he can lift heavy things.
Old March 9, 2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Big Bill

red - good to have you here. All us old men deserve to have a gun barer along on our hunts. I bet your old man appreciates you. I'm looking forward to reading many good stories from you.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 11, 2009, 01:54 AM   #6
butta9999

Hey Rocket man good too see you looking after your old man Skulls.. Last time i went for a hunt with my old man i carried the quarry, rifle, backpack, my jacket, his jacket, hell i nearly carried him up those hills.

My point is i would do it every time as if it were not for him i would not have this love in life.. And like you my old man is my best mate.

Who knows i might have been interested i ballet or something.....
Old March 11, 2009, 02:22 AM   #7
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Got back out to the station again yesterday. The station boss had decided to fix some of the 'flood gates near the house. As it turns out 'flood gates' are nothing more then a few strands of barbed wire strung up across the normally dry river bed. We must have cleared the debris and put up 300 meters of fence. Only got half way across the river.
The boy came with me again because he was hoping to do a bit more shooting. He is the one that isn't to bright, and he can nearly lift heavy things. We got to go for another walk once the sun dropped a little and we had some shade from a hill.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF0468.jpg

Lots of termite mounds an very rocky ground.
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF0470.jpg

The boy 'Taking aim', (actually posing for the camera)
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF0469.jpg

Looking out over the vally, station home just over the boys head. Very green now thanks to all the rain.

He only saw 3 Roos this time and was not quick enough to get a shot. A 'Red' Roo looks a lot like a termite mound, I wonder how many have been KIA hahaha. I didn't let him waste any ammo this time as it started getting dark.
I still came home with a car fridge full of meat. Just goes to show how much the cockies appreciate some help.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:44 AM   #8
princess-bluey

:barf:

Now the blood from pet food meat from the sunday arvo 'walkabout' shooting expedition has leaked thru the freezer! Our tiny icebox is not big enough for food for us for a week, let alone meat from a hunt!

princessupsetaboutthebloodymessbluey
Old March 11, 2009, 03:49 AM   #9
princess-bluey

Darn! Look at those termite mounds! Ya can't spit without hitting one out here, & we only get the small mounds! Gotta watch those termites, they'll carry away anything not nailed down, hungry pesky little vandalisers! When it's quiet at night time, I swear I can the blighters munching away in the walls!!!

princessihatethosedamntermitesbluey!
Old March 11, 2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Big Bill

Skull - is a "station" the same thing as a "ranch" here? Do you work there or does it belong to a friend? I like that camo your son is wearing.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:02 AM   #11
butta9999

Great terrain skulls.. A station is another name for a farmers property. Generally they are huge properties rangeing anywhere from 30,000 acres to over 1,000,000. Usually stations are named.

Skulls might be able to tell you more.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:25 AM   #12
Big Bill

butta - those are some big farms. When I saw Australia, they talked about the cattle station the english woman owned. Even though it was a lousy movie, it did have some great photography; and, I like a trip down under once in awhile.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:51 AM   #13
butta9999

yeah generally cattle stations and sheep stations.. Yes we have plenty of backyard here in Australia.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:35 AM   #14
redrocketman

G'day yes big-bill you are right in saying a station is the same as a ranch.Yer I'm not to big on ca-mo, u don't really need it in that environment maybe from were Butta is.Not up here in the scrub (bush.) Butta don't forget that stations are farms farms grow food from sheep, to cows, horse, fruit and veg. Just to name what we do down here.