The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1
bspillman

Keltec pf9

Anyone had any luck with the pf9. Or are they junk?
Old January 2, 2017, 09:05 PM   #2
t45

Mine has been absolutely reliable. It is still my go to CCW.
Old January 2, 2017, 09:30 PM   #3
JERRYS.

for what they are (budget guns) they seem to work well. they are not to be compared to higher end guns of course.

if your budget is low and need is perceived high, the PF9 will serve you well with a little break-in time. it is snappier than other poly 9s of similar size.
Old January 2, 2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

I had one for several years, and it was reliable, but always a bit of a beast to shoot. I later traded it for a Ruger SR9c (I threw in some cash -- but it included a pretty good IWB holster, too), and think I got the better end of the deal. The fellow who got the PF9 however, was very happy -- he liked it's thinness and felt he was the winner in that trade/sale.

I've had a number of Kel-Tecs over the years, and never had reliability issues with any of them: P-11, PF9, P3AT, Sub2000 (in 9mm and later in .40. The .40 version of the Sub 2000 wasn't as pleasant to shoot as the 9mm model.

I only have one Kel-Tec, right now -- a PMR-30 -- and it's a marvelous gun! I doubt I'll ever trade or sell it.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 2, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old January 2, 2017, 10:34 PM   #5
Sterling

JMO BUT avoid it like a aids sandwich. two trips to kt one new frame and it just never was reliable. it was a cronic jammer, sold it with full disclosure to a kt fan. whats your budget for a pocket 9 ? reason is if you look at your local armslist or guntrader your sure to find a pistol of better qaulity & reliability I know Taurus aint no popular piece but my new pt111 millenium was a 1000 times better 100% function with all ammo and acurate for a pocket 9 before i sold it. if your budget is that tight try the used Turkish pistols Sarsilmaz, Canik ive had some they were always reliable. Save your money and buy qaulity Ruger, SW theyll stand behind their product esp Ruger.
Old January 2, 2017, 10:59 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

The PF9 is a damned fine little gun. I say that with much knowledge of firearms.

The gun was designed to be thin, small, lightweight, and inexpensive. It meets all those criteria, so why is it not to be compared to ANY other guns?

Because something doesn't cost much, does not make it cheap. The Keltec guns are the Bic pens of the gun world.

When I carry a compact 9mm, I carry a PF9.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:53 PM   #7
Mosin44az

Unlike Bill DeShivs and others, my experience with Kel-tec has been very bad in terms of quality and reliability, and they have been on my permanent no-buy list for several years. I think Ruger took a big chunk of their business with the LCP, and deservedly so.

My Pf-9 was better than some of the others, only a couple of malfs in the brief time I had it.

I ditched it mainly because I didn't like the way it shot. Stiff recoil and lots of muzzle flip.

Unless you plan to pocket carry, I would save up a bit and get a Smith & Wesson Shield. There are several other good small 9mms for belt/IWB carry also--Beretta Nano, Springfield XD-s, Glock 26, Walther PPS M2 come to mind. These are all a bit chunkier than the Shield, which is slim like the PF.

If you are looking for a pocket carry 9, you are searching for something I consider to be the Holy Grail of CCW, and I have not yet been successful. I would look at the SCCY CPX-2, which is similar in price and design to the KT P11. People sound happy with it but who knows, there are Kel-Tec fans also. I had a Ruger LC9s, and it was more comfortable to shoot than the PF-9, but it failed to feed two different hollowpoint loads sufficiently and I ditched it (not a big fan of Ruger QC these days either). I also have learned to avoid Kahr and Taurus.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:59 PM   #8
MarkCO

They have good warranty repair if you need it.

I have a PF9 and mine has been boringly reliable, accurate and handles well for a small pocket 9. I prefer it to some of the others.
Old January 3, 2017, 12:50 AM   #9
SDF880

I had 2 PF-9's but sold them when I went with Kahr PM-9 and CM-9. My Keltec PF-9's were flawless and I ran many rounds thru them no issues ever! I went with the Kahr 9's as I found them a bit better for me to shoot and better for pocket carry.

I have never had any issues with KT products pistols or rifles, your mileage may vary!
Old January 3, 2017, 01:13 AM   #10
Ride Madone

They are absolute junk. I worked at a range teaching CCW classes for quite a while and saw sooooo many problems with them. Some people get lucky and get ones that work and others don't. I have read the return rate on that gun is as high as 40%. Having worked with them as much as I have, I believe it. If you absolutely can't afford anything else, save longer and get something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old January 3, 2017, 02:19 AM   #11
SDF880

Are these folks taking the CCW class mainly new shooters? Are they maintaining the pistols like they should? Just curious as I am an experienced shooter and maintain all my guns to a very high level and really never had any issue with any of the manufacturers of my weapons! I have heard plenty of Keltec horror stories but yet to have any myself, is this luck or what?
Old January 3, 2017, 03:30 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

If Keltec's rate of returns was any where close to 40%, they would have been out of business years ago.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:47 AM   #13
tallball

I have a P32 and a P3AT. They have both been 100% reliable.
Old January 3, 2017, 08:30 AM   #14
wild cat mccane

I've never experienced a "nose dive" until my two PF-9s. Additionally, some people claim the recoil isn't bad. That might be true to them, but I can't think of an auto that is harsher.

oh, and it's flat, but bigger than I found useful.

I did carry a P3AT for years though.
Old January 3, 2017, 08:40 AM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

Mine has never had a problem ever. 1k plus rounds. Most of them reloads. I had a P11 for a couple of years. While the trigger was heavy and plain awful. It never jammed. Never failed to bang. It now is carried by a family member. The trigger on my PF9 is in fact very nice for a pocket gun. It shoots true, and it rides in my pocket most of the time.
Old January 3, 2017, 09:36 AM   #16
ligonierbill

Another happy KelTecer. I have a P32 and a PF9. No problems whatsoever. I bought them because they're small and light, not because they're cheap. (I've spent more on firearms than I care to admit.)
Old January 3, 2017, 10:50 AM   #17
peggysue

Mine has functioned 100% of the time. My dislike is that the grip is too thin grip for my big paws. Even after I put an inner tube on it.
Old January 3, 2017, 11:45 AM   #18
Roland Thunder

I just bought a Kel-Tec P32 a couple weeks ago. I took it to the range for the first time last week and enjoyed shooting it. Enjoyed shooting it enough that I am thinking of selling my Kahr PM-9. The P32 may not pack the punch of my PM9, but I figure I will carry it more due to the lighter weight, hence it will probably serve me better as a self defense weapon.
Old January 3, 2017, 12:09 PM   #19
Ride Madone

All I know is what I saw week in and week out. During one session, with about 10 Keltec's being used, I saw the same malfunction in two guns. The trigger snapped off and fell out of the guns. The serial numbers were only about 20 apart on the guns with the malfunction.

I have nothing against Keltec other than I don't think they are well made. Anyone who wants to trust their life to one certainly may, I never will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 3, 2017, 01:34 PM   #20
scottycoyote

owned the p32, p11 and pf9

p32 is pocket carry, dead nuts reliable

p11 never had problems

pf9 had a few fte's after i field stripped it.....not sure what i did wrong but the gun felt like it was binding....took it apart and back together and no problems since but not a fun gun to shoot at all.
Old January 3, 2017, 03:25 PM   #21
Reinz

I got mine when they first came out. I did a 200 round range session with no failures, thus it passed my main test for concealed carry.

The sights are good for a small pistol. I was mowing down the plate rack at short, medium, and long distance for a pocket gun. So it passed my other main criteria too with flying colors.

Recoil was ok. Small pistols with large proportionate rounds recoil harder, just a fact. Thus, I wouldn't recommend it for a newbie. But it's a good for someone with experience.
Old January 3, 2017, 03:50 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

Most Keltecs are actually "expert's" guns.
They have to be held properly, practiced with, and maintained properly. Basically, you have to understand the gun. Many can't or won't do this. They should just get a revolver.
Old January 3, 2017, 05:15 PM   #23
P71pilot

I love em, but dont own one yet, i have shot them a few times.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:07 PM   #24
Dan-O

Ask George Zimmerman how reliable they are.

I've got one. Like to carry it, don't really enjoy shooting it.
Old January 3, 2017, 06:53 PM   #25
Jeff2222

Keltec pf9

I had no problems with my pf9 either. I always used the magazine extension and didn't have trouble shooting it. That said I wouldn't want to shoot it all day at the range.

Last edited by Jeff2222; January 3, 2017 at 07:01 PM.