The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #1
ccwnut

I held a Sig P290 today.

I was not impressed. It's just a little bit too small for my taste. Anybody beg to differ?
Old March 26, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Luger_carbine

Well, Sig-Sauer makes a 9mm firearm in just about every size imaginable - up to and including a carbine. If you don't like the size of the P290 there are other options.

It's one thing to say that you weren't "impressed" with the trigger, the grip angle or some other design aspect. The pistol is designed to be small. If you said you weren't impressed with it because other pistols like the Kahr PM9, the Boberg XR9-S were smaller, that would be another thing, but you seem to be criticizing the pistol because it is what it was designed to be - a small pocket nine.
Old March 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Technosavant

The P290, to me, is a good example of the difference between objective measurements and subjective measurements.

Objectively, the P290, P938, and P238 are all VERY close in size. The P238 is the smallest, the P938 is larger by just a touch here and there.

But the P238 feels microscopic and the P290 just feels huge. Even though they're the same size. I love the P938 and it hides very well. There's no reason a P290 won't do so as well (it's actually a skosh smaller). Yet, in my hand the P290 just seems like there's no way it's going to go in that pocket without printing horribly.

I dunno. Maybe I need to give the P290 another chance (but my P938 just fills that role SO well).
Old March 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #4
ccwnut

I get that it's meant to be a pocket gun. But therein lies the problem: grip surface. It felt like I was holding a .380, not a 9mm designed for ccw. I guess I need to just stick with striker-fired or DAO guns for ccw. Yes I know I'm picky, but what I'm looking for is a simply operated 9mm handgun that can be easily concealed.
Old March 26, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
TarDevil

The P290 is one of the next two guns I will purchase. For me it is the perfect size... heavy enough at 20 ozs that it won't beat up my hand, yet small enough to conceal under light clothing. The revolver-like trigger means I'll feel OK not having a safety, and it's a SIG!!

It felt absolutely delicious in my hands.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
SmokinSigs357

You might want to check out the new P224...
Old March 27, 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
915A

Re: I held a Sig P290 today.

Love our 290. Feels great in the hand, excellent shooter, and very concealable. But its not for everyone. The only gripes I've had were the DAO,which was nothing more than a learning curve, and takedown. Now I've gotten comfortable with the DAO, and have mastered the takedown so I'm completel happy with ours. Not to mention the wife loves it and enjoys shooting with it.
Old March 28, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
pnolans

My gun club allows you to "rent" guns that are for sale. I shot one of these this morning. It was surprisingly accurate, IMO. I don't generally like tiny guns like that.

If I was going to have a tiny gun, that would be the one I'd own. Right now, I carry a Ruger P95. It's heavy, but reliable ... to me, in my hands.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old March 28, 2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Que

The new 290 mag with the small finger extension makes a huge difference. I now have two full fingers of grip rather than one and two-thirds.
Old March 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #10
tristar viper

I personally like the 290, I think maybe eventually I will still buy one. They are heavy though, and why Sig made them weigh so much I really don't understand. But on the flipside it feels like a small gun built well enough to go for regular range duty, and not some cheezy little pocket gun that after 50-75 rounds you want to head home cause you're in so much pain from it.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:20 PM   #11
rodfac

Had one for a year now...good gun for the most part, long trigger pull and a along reset point. Mine is very accurate out to 15 yds...about the limit for a small pocket pistol...but developed a light firing pin strike. It's a problem reported over on the Sig Forum web site. My gun's been back to Sig on their nickle, they fixed it, sent it back in two weeks, but it's had another light strike...for that reason, until I get a good fix from Sig, I can't trust if for carry. The light strikes were with Federal and Winchester bulk ammo...not that should matter. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 29, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 02:23 AM   #12
Yung.gunr

I've got a TCP and P238, the P290 just didn't feel good to me either. I was chomping at the bit to try/buy one. Then I found one at my LGS and I held it and I think I will wait to upgrade my TCP. I didn't like how thick the slide was especially. The P238 just feels so much better in my hands. I was severly disappointed as the P290 looked perfect on paper.

Who knows, maybe I will change my mind in the future. Oh, and by the way, it would be 100% a pocket gun, so thickness is a deal breaker.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:22 AM   #13
rodfac

For pocket use, the P290 is pretty heavy in my opinion...short of a jacket pocket, it's 20+ oz. make it sag pretty well. The size, however, is ok. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:26 AM   #14
qwiksdraw

I heard the Sig P290 thought your hands were too big for its taste!!!

Old March 29, 2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Que

If I just drop the 290 into my pants pocket the weight is an issue. I have found that the key is to use a pocket holster. It seems to distribute the weight in a way that that the gun carries much lighter. I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Pocket holsters are required for pocket carry in Georgia so the solution to the gun's weight sort of worked itself out.

One big positive of the gun's weight is that it really controls recoil making for a rather pleasant shooter compared to other pocket Nines and 380s.
Old March 29, 2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Garycw

I held a Sig P290 today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung.gunr View Post
I've got a TCP and P238, the P290 just didn't feel good to me either. I was chomping at the bit to try/buy one. Then I found one at my LGS and I held it and I think I will wait to upgrade my TCP. I didn't like how thick the slide was especially. The P238 just feels so much better in my hands. I was severly disappointed as the P290 looked perfect on paper.

Who knows, maybe I will change my mind in the future. Oh, and by the way, it would be 100% a pocket gun, so thickness is a deal breaker.
The P238 is the best shooting 380 pocket gun I've ever shot.And accurate! I carry IWB and forget its there. I love the P238.
I dropped it on a tile basement floor once. Almost crapped my pants till I noticed it didn't make a mark on it. I was amazed. It's tough!
Sig P238

Sent from iPhone

Last edited by Garycw; March 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Rinspeed

I just bought one this morning so I'll let you know how it works out.
Old March 30, 2013, 03:19 AM   #18
915A

Re: I held a Sig P290 today.

Once you get comfortable with the trigger you will love it, unless you are already used to the DAO.

Tags
9mm , ccw guns , p290 , sig