The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Bill from Boomhower,

Noinco 982 finish?

Hey guys, I'm very interested and curious in this shotgun, and want a gun with a. Good Parkerized finish that can take riding under the truck seat, or laying on the ground with my other yard tools while I'm working outside in the elements. I was reading somewhere earlier tonight on a thread where the guys were saying their guns had rusted badly. Some info and spec charts for the gun show flat black listed as the guns's finish. Is this actually the case? Can anyone tell me if they are in fact Parkerized, and is rusting a factor with these guns like others have said? All else appeals to me about them. I looked back a way, but didn't see this question, sorry if someone already asked, yet I didn't see anything on it. Thanks.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
LilHog

I have a norinco 982 and it is all flat black, I don't believe it is parkerized. The finish on it is very similar to an 870, I think the 982 might be finished a little better. The gun shoots very good but likes to be cycled aggressively to function right. I've never had the slightest bit of rust on mine, but then I keep it well maintained also. Mine has the ghost ring sights and the 18" barrel and it's a keeper!
Old August 30, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Bill from Boomhower,

Well Lilhog, my wife surprised me last Saturday by buying me a Stevens 350 home defense shotgun from Accademy. I've been looking at all such similar guns for a little while now, and from what I gather, they're all made by Norinco in ROC. They're all clones of something. This one I just got is an Ithica model 37, improved by 2 transfer bars instead of one. This is the trench gun that scared the Hell out of the Germans in WWI. Then, later rode in the floor mount of the cop cars for years. It feeds and ejects thru the bottom, which I like cause I won't be babying this gun, and I figure less chance of introducing dirt/debrees into the gun. I still want to get a Norinco 982 cause it's the 870 clone, and I can buy lots of TACTICOOL stuff to configure it in different rolls. The Stevens 350 doesn't have this capablity, but is desireable to me just the way it comes. 5 plus 1, 18" bbl, military rifle apperture sights etc. Anyway, thanks for your cooment, I would like to here more from anyone out there with these type guns. I want to know more about Cerokote and Duracoat, the protective finish you can apply to your guns. Thanks.
Old August 31, 2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Uh, Bill.....

Actually, the Model 37 was intro'd in 1937, well after WWI. You must be thinking of either the Winchester 97 or 12.

Lots of 37s in cruisers, though. Probably the second most popular choice after the 870.

As for finishes, Robar makes quite a few that are well regarded....
Old September 9, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5
Bill from Boomhower,

No Dave, google Stevens 350 Security. Imported by Savage Stevens, made by Sun City Machinery Works, Republic Of China, but is identical to the Ithica 37, except improved by two action bars rather than one. I call it my "Boomhower Bastard Twelve." 18 1/2" cyl bbl, flat mat finish, 5 plus 1, composite forearm and stock, sling swivels, and a winged tritium front/winged apperture rear sight that cost more than half the cost of the gun.......197.00 new. The only improvements I'd like to make are a single point sling, butt stock shell holder, and spray bedliner finish. I really like the idea of a gun that eats and craps thru the same hole.....underneath to help keep debrees out as this thing's goin' everywhere with me. Now I'm gonna find me a Norinco 982, the 870 clone. I'd really like to hear from anyone out there who has the Stevens and what you like or dislike about it.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6
jaguarxk120

They had to add the second action bar because somewhere along the line they changed something. Many of todays shotguns have two action bars because the barrel is not solid to the reciever and with that slight barrel movement in the reciever binding will result when the bolt is pulled to the rear.

If you look at other shotguns like the Model 12, and the early Remingtons (before the 870) they all had a single action bar because none was needed.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Actually, Bill, the 37 with its single action bar has been a stone cold reliable shotgun from Day One. And tied for first with the Model 12 for slickest shucker.

The sole downside to the design is it,like other JMB designs, requires excellent machining, quality materials and tight tolerances.

My guess, the second bar was added because the clones lack at least one of the above.

However, I'm not dumping on your or your shotgun. It may give you excellent service for decades and I hope it does.

Do run at least 10K rounds through it and get back to us.