The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 6, 2002, 08:48 AM   #1
AndABeer

Prarie dogs

Father-in-law is making noises about a Wyoming prarie dog hunt at the end of this month. My hunting experience consists of Tennessee terrain and African bush. Never taken a shot longer than 100 yds on a live target. I have always wanted to be in a hunting situation where my shooting skills would be adequately tested and a prarie dog hunt sounds pretty close to what I am looking for. I have a 700 .308 that I have absolute confidence in out to 200 yds as that is the longest range I can find around here to shoot on. I also have a relatively new M70 .25-06 that I am still learning about.

I think I am pretty short on time to get up to speed with the .25 but I do have gobs of components for it (87gr & 100 gr). Will the .308 do or is it just too much?

Are prarie dog hunts fun? Subjective question but I am interested in all opinions.

Any other comments, info, or suggestions are welcome.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old September 6, 2002, 11:17 AM   #2
ralphtt

Prairie dog hunts are a helluva' lotta' fun . . .

but, IMHO, you're badly overgunned with a .308 and 25/06, even with the lighter bullets. On a decent PD hunt you will shoot at least 200 to 300 rounds per day. With those calibers, recoil will soon become a significant factor and fatigue will quickly make it difficult to enjoy the hunt.

I made three PD hunting trips to Montana and West Texas and used a .220 Swift, a 6 PPC and a .223 Remington. My favorite, by far, was the .223 'cause it was easier to shoot all day. If I went now, I would also take a .17 Remington but didn't own that gun at the time.

My advice would be to go PD hunting, but use the time remaining to locate and sight-in a varmint weight .223. Purchase ammo from Black Hills or another good supplier and enjoy the opportunity to do more shooting in a day than most of us shoot in a year.

Oh . . . and take the .308 and 25/06 . . . you can use them while the barrel is cooling on the .223!
Old September 6, 2002, 12:31 PM   #3
AndABeer

I suppose my AR would get me laughed off the plains. I am not opposed to buying a new rifle but I'll bet that Erich has an additional .223 bolt or #1 he'll let me borrow if need be.

Might be the second step in the creation of a personal ritual: take a hunting trip, buy a new rifle for it. Bad first step though, the M70 I got for Africa did not see much use on the trip it was bought for, nor does it see much use here, I am just not masochistic enough.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old September 6, 2002, 03:15 PM   #4
dakotasin

this late in the year, you may find 300 shots/day tough to come by...

part of my load development and target practice is carried out on a dog town. i've sent many, many 162 grain bullets out of a 7 mag downrange, 150's from a 308, and 100's from a 25-06.

most of the time, i just bring one larger bore and a small rifle (22-250, 223, etc). i start shooting my bigger gun, and usually give it a break after shot #50, then resume later in the afternoon and put it away for the day at shot 100.

couple weeks ago i shot my 7 mag exclusively on a town... my primary target practice for deer season. oh, yeah, my shoulder was bruised, bad, but i have absolute confidence in drilling a deer out to my max range.

if you are not used to shooting a lot, then perhaps you'll tire of shooting the 308 or 25-06...if your ar is accurate, then why not??

part of the reason i go dogging is to really stretch my personal range envelope. i let the close ones go. i search out far away dogs and let the rifle buck. doing this, i don't shoot as much as others who do not discriminate against their targets.

if you're not going to be shooting from a bench, i'd suggest a bipod for ya.
Old September 6, 2002, 07:43 PM   #5
youngun

And afterwards, there's all that good prarie dog pie!
MMM just like Ma used t'make!
Old September 7, 2002, 10:18 AM   #6
TBAUS

I have never had the opportunity to shoot prairie dogs. I sounds like a lot of fun. It would be nice to see if my Remington 788 .22-250 is up to snuff... Well, Ok, to see if I am up to snuff too. I would guess that my 3x9 scope would be a bit small. The longest shooting I have done on varmits is at ground hogs on my relatives farms back east. There, you camp out in a chair in the back of a pickup truck sippin' iced tea, glassin' the area around the varmit's hole. They don't usually sit still too long so a lot of shots are taken with them moving, off a couple hundred yards away. I've churned up a lot of dirt, but I did manage to get a few hogs.
Old September 8, 2002, 12:43 PM   #7
AndABeer

I thought my partner already had contacts in that part of the country but it seems not. What would be the best way to find a good hunt? Web search gets several hits for outfitters but no way to get feedback I can trust.

Old September 8, 2002, 07:47 PM   #8
dakotasin

i shoot on private land...i gained access the first time by knocking and asking...2nd time by stopping him on his tractor and giving him a frosty beer...after that, access has been a phone call and a 12-pack every once in awhile...

not sure about outfitters for dog shoots...try contacting the gf&p and see what is available...sometimes the gf&p can be an extremely valuable resource.
Old September 8, 2002, 08:22 PM   #9
Hemicuda

I am planning a prarie-dog hunt on my upcoming elk-hunt in Colorado...

I'm taking my .17 HMR, and my SKS... why not... both are fun to shoot!

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old September 9, 2002, 07:05 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

AndABeer, you might go over to http://www.varminter.com and see who knows of good opportunities at low or no cost. I've seen ads for guided PD hunts, but I don't know why a guide would be needed. Landowner permission, sure...

Art
Old September 9, 2002, 07:16 PM   #11
AndABeer

Thank you Mr. Eatman. Just the type of resource I was looking for.

Old September 12, 2002, 02:36 PM   #12
Mr.Wingshooter

PD hunting is fun

I like to use my tricked out 10/22, 100 yards and be really still. The 220 swift and 22-250 are king, .223 has to much drop, unless you are a master of the wind and laser range finder. .17 Hornady in one those Turner Customs would be nice.
Old September 12, 2002, 03:46 PM   #13
Elkslayer

AndABeer - Check your mail...