The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 18, 2013, 12:34 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Under NY's new laws...

I apologize that I have not been able to read the entire text of the new laws yet, but my question may have a simple answer.
Can those of us in NY still buy reloading components online and have them shipped to NY?
Thanks.
E.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Bud Helms

I would go to an online dealer's website and read the shipping restrictions. If you can't find the info you need, drop their Customer Service an email with your question.
Old January 19, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3
stu925

From what I have read of the law I can find nothing relating to reloading components. There may be a definition buried in the Penal Code that defines ammunition though that may include components. I have been looking but as of yet have been unable to find anything. Online merchants will not ship anything to NY if it's illegal here as they would be criminally responsible if they did. I ran into this with high cap magazines that I am allowed to possess due to my peace officer status, no one will ship them here though so I have to go through a local dealer and pay their price which is generally a lot higher. Good luck finding powder or primers though, everyone is out of stock.

Stu
Old January 19, 2013, 11:37 PM   #4
jdillon

Read the entire law and didn't come across anything specifically related to reloading.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:52 PM   #5
kgs113

I tried ordering some Hornady .308/150gr SST from Midway last night and was denied shipping because of my New York address
Old January 20, 2013, 08:21 PM   #6
hounddawg

@ kgs New York City has banned reloading components for years now

in regard to the original post here is the entire bill, I did a cursory search but could not find any references to powder and primers. However if I lived in NY State I would take the time to read every line

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013
Old January 20, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Xfire68

I am seeing on a few online stores that sell reloading components they are "No longer able to ship to New York State".

Sorry to say that I think that those that sell these items seem to think they can no longer sell them to those that live in NY.

Here is a quote from one of the sites.

"WE CAN NO LONGER SHIP AMMUNITION, POWDER, OR PRIMERS TO THE STATE OF NEW YORK. THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS THERE & WE HOPE THINGS WILL WORK OUT WITH YOUR SUPPLIES."
Old January 20, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
30Cal

I don't think components got affected by the law. I read through the whole thing.

Just because someone isn't shipping here doesn't mean they've understand or have even read the law.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:10 PM   #9
Jleote

Midway would not ship to me in upstate NY. But I tried a different online site and got stuff no problem at all. Took their last 5 boxes of .30 (.308) 168g A-Max Moly.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Xfire68

Quote:
I don't think components got affected by the law. I read through the whole thing.
Well someone needs to let places like Midway know this because it seems like people are being effected by this?
Old January 21, 2013, 07:43 AM   #11
dwhite

Considering Comrade Cuomo could ruin Midway USA economically
trying to prove in court Midway violated NY law shipping in
reloading components they're probably wise to stop.

Win or lose it would be an expensive battle to fight.

All the Best,
D. White
Old January 21, 2013, 02:51 PM   #12
alan

Based on comment seen at reason.com (reason magazine), NY cops are complaining at the legislated limits on magazine capacity, 7 rounds if what I saw is correct, amazing isn't it.

In the great rush to "do something", to "pass a law", seemingly any form of stupidity would serve, did the gutless wonders in Albany N.Y., forget to make a "L.E. Exception"? Like I said, amazing.
Old January 21, 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
SL1

7 rounds vs 10 is like putting a 55 mph governor on all sports cars because somebody is running down school children at bus stops while doing 70 mph with their sports car. Not going to have a significant effect on the results when the next bad guy tries it.

What difference does it really make if it takes some nut 3 magazines instead of 2 to shoot 20 children? Even 7 children shot is 7 too many.

SL1
Old January 21, 2013, 06:20 PM   #14
rajbcpa

i bought powder in ny saturday and no background check was required.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Valerko

I don't see why you can't have it shipped to NY. Nothing in that law talks about reloading. Doesn't even say you can't buy it out of state and bring back.
Some online retailer probably just don't wanna be bothered and risk any problems.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
mmb713

I doubt that any of the gun haters are even aware that hobby reloading exists. Watching them write gun laws is a lot like watching Mormons write the liquor laws here in Uath. Stupid and nonsensical...
Old January 22, 2013, 01:29 AM   #17
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerko View Post
Some online retailer probably just don't wanna ... risk any problems.
This is why. Who wants to risk prosecution while everything is up in the air.

You can bet most of those retailers have an FFL to protect. The NY Attorney General's office could get that yanked in "a New York second" just by being belligerent with felony charges against them, even if they were baseless.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:36 PM   #18
UtopiaTexasG19

If Coumo had his way you will only be able to re-load 7 rounds at a time.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:57 PM   #19
jmorris

Quote:
Midway would not ship to me in upstate NY. But I tried a different online site and got stuff no problem at all.
Instead of posting the name of the outlet that won't ship to your State, you should post the name of the one that does...
Old January 22, 2013, 07:30 PM   #20
tobnpr

Perhaps all the suppliers of anything to do with firearms should stop shipping to New York...

Maybe then gun owners there would stand up and fight for their rights. I only know what I see in the liberal media...but I've read nothing about any opposition to the new legislation. How in the world can any constituency allow such sweeping and controversial legislation to be passed in a matter of days? I'm dumbfounded by what has happened there. NY City I can understand- but NY state? Wow...

Not that the thought would ever cross his mind...but Rick Scott would be drawn and quartered if he ever so much as suggested what Cuomo's doing to New York, down here...
Old January 22, 2013, 08:34 PM   #21
30Cal

Quote:
Perhaps all the suppliers of anything to do with firearms should stop shipping to New York...

Maybe then gun owners there would stand up and fight for their rights. ..

I spent my Sunday afternoon in front of the capitol building in Albany on a cold and windy day. With 8,000 other people.

Where were you??
Old January 22, 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
hounddawg

not really the right forum or even thread for this but my son in law is from an area a hour or so west of NYC and has been saving up to buy a hunting cabin up in the finger lakes area. The kid lives to hunt and fish. As of today he told me has decided when he retired from the USAF they will not be going back to NY but to a more gun friendly state instead.

If Remington feels like NY is treating them wrong we have a lot of right to work states down here that would love to have them
Old January 22, 2013, 10:22 PM   #23
stu925

Quote:
Maybe then gun owners there would stand up and fight for their rights. I only know what I see in the liberal media...but I've read nothing about any opposition to the new legislation. How in the world can any constituency allow such sweeping and controversial legislation to be passed in a matter of days? I'm dumbfounded by what has happened there. NY City I can understand- but NY state? Wow...
Sorry can't let this go. No one knew about this until it was a done deal. As of the morning of 1/14 there wasn't even a bill yet, shortly before midnight the bill had passed the state Senate, on the 15th it passed the assembly and by that afternoon had been signed into law. The law was passed in less than 48hrs. We had no control over this, the deals were made in the middle of the night and behind closed doors there was no time to mobilize the troops or organize anything. I still don't understand how this can even be legal but that's how they did it. Don't blame the gun owners of NYS, the politicians were to blame and knew we would fight it tooth and nail which is why they rushed it through, they wanted no opposition to this bill. Cutting the gun owners of NYS off from supplies is not the solution to this problem. I seriously hope none of our brothers in the other states have to go through this but don't ever think it can't happen to you, McCarthy wants a lot of this to be federal law also.

Stu
Old January 22, 2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Buzzard Bait

news folks don't know

My guess is the news media doesn't know about reloading and they seem to be the politicians source of information
Old January 23, 2013, 12:15 AM   #25
jmorris

Quote:
I spent my Sunday afternoon in front of the capitol building in Albany on a cold and windy day. With 8,000 other people.

Where were you??
Shooting in Texas, wearing a T shirt.