The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 15, 2009, 01:15 PM   #26
A_McDougal

In theory, No Trespassing and No Soliciting signs should work.
But you won't be surprised to hear that many door-to-door folks don't know what either sign means.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:13 PM   #27
R1145

Good call

Broad daylight in your neighborhood, no overt illegal behavior observed, but "hinky" enough to make you feel uneasy. Probably nothing, but definitely worth checking out.

Arm self, cautiously investigate, report to PD...

The only additional thing would have been to note the license plate number, if you felt safe doing so. Providing that information to the cops when they showed up would be very helpful for their investigation.

I think opening the door to strangers, in general, should be avoided. Remember the old front doors with the little window instead of the peephole...?

Last edited by R1145; September 15, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:29 PM   #28
G-man 26

The only thing you did that I would do differently is the whole "go and get my gun" part. I keep mine in my back pocket, or IWB around the house all the time. If that guy had knocked, tried, and kicked the door in, you would have been off looking for your gun.

Other than that, everyone else has been spot on with reenforcing the door. I also like the intercom idea if you have the funds for such a thing. We have steel screen doors from back in the 1950's or some time. Strong, and heavy as all heck. You could get through them, but I will have better than my G-26 by the time you do. Like the local P.D. For starters. Lol.
Old September 20, 2009, 09:01 PM   #29
Mr. Davis

I think you were right to answer the door. Since you were armed, and had witnessed the guy try to open the door across the street, the "act like you're not home" method isn't preferred. Some folks' MO is to knock a couple times, then kick the door in, assuming nobody's home.

I have a rule: If they knock on your door, or call you on the phone, you don't want it.

That's the truth - any product worth its muster is good enough for you to seek out yourself. Don't buy meat, furniture, magazines, cleaning products, sunrooms, or anything else door to door, under any circumstances.

There is an exception to every rule: Girl Scout Cookies
Old September 21, 2009, 02:55 PM   #30
wyatt3d

good points on the getting the license plates and telling the wife to arm herself. I actually hadn't even thought of either of those!!!

Mr. Davis Since I saw the guy try the door across the street that is exactly what I was thinking, that if I didn't answer he might try to break in.

I think if it was odd hours it would be a case for yelling at them through the door. I really like the intercom system idea though.

Thanks for all the input.
Old September 25, 2009, 03:12 PM   #31
FireForged

If I feel something isnt right... enough so that I retrieve a weapon and send my family to the BR. I am not going to open the door to anyone.
To get to the point.. I see no fault in what you did but if it were me, I would not have answered the door. I would have reported the guys as acting suspicious and left it at that. If the bag-guys decided to break in because I didnt answer, I would defend myself.
Old September 26, 2009, 01:23 AM   #32
GSDs

Never open the door to a stranger.
Old September 26, 2009, 01:46 AM   #33
jgcoastie

STRANGER DANGER!!! STRANGER DANGER!!! STRANGER DANGER!!!

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old September 26, 2009, 05:35 AM   #34
Freedom-First

Is it me or are we bordering on paranoia?

How about just a NO TRESPASSING sign and an electric fence? That'll keep everyone away.

Other things you can try when someone rings your doorbell-
Fire a few warning shots (inside your home of course)
Hire Ninja's to hide in the bushes
Build a quick sand pit under the door mat
Get a Dog (a big one)

www.gunfacts.info ~~ "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." ~Albert Einstein *** GOD BLESS AMERICA ***
Old September 28, 2009, 12:04 AM   #35
furnman

whatg these guys are up too

yep they always hang around your doorway and ask for something. I don't think your not being generous when you don't give something it's just that they don't understand your situation. I think the best thing that we must do is to explain to them why we cannot help. It would be fair enough.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:22 AM   #36
besafe2

IMO, you did fine except I would've talked through the door.
Old September 28, 2009, 01:25 PM   #37
ilbob

Quote:
I live in a new subdivision and we had some guys drive up with a semi-trailer full of furniture to sell. We did not buy any but my wife and a couple of the neighbors wives had a look. Not sure what the deal is. Are they just picking up factory left overs and selling them? Seems like a tough way to make a living, but they must do well enough to keep doing it.
Its a common scam. Sometimes it is steaks or seafood, but it is always a scam and always substandard merchandise. but people think they are getting a deal so they bite.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:26 AM   #38
DeathRodent

I would do exactly what you did but with a S&W 649.

As a matter of fact I did just that on Moday night around 8pm when a young man knocked on our front door - and I have a 3.5 ft fence around my front yard with a locked gate!

He said he was trying to win some contest and did I like magazines. I told him I wouldn't buy any magazines while I had my hand on the .38 behind my leg.

When he left he had to hop over the locked gate - interesting thing was he put one hand on the gate and one foot on a stone post next to it to hop over...and there wasn't anything in either of his hands!

I wonder how he was going to write down my magazine order?

Our front light is broken and I think he was just checking to see if anyone was home. I don't think he would push his way in but if we would have stayed quiet I bet my front door would have been kicked in.
Old October 18, 2009, 09:41 AM   #39
JohnH1963

If you are really worried about this type of scenario, then get a security screen door with a deadbolt.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=&aqi=&start=0

This will provide better security for answering the door. The person at the front door could easily say he is here to check the meter or mis-represent himself causing you to open the door.

Opening the door would make you give up cover in any event with or without a security screen door.

One effective tactic is to have a loud stereo near the door. When the doorbell rings then play a CD of a dog barking. A dog usually scares away would be burglars.

http://www.soundtherapyworld.com/Bar...og_p/cd-bd.htm
Old October 18, 2009, 10:45 AM   #40
JohnH1963

I wanted to add to this thread. If you are going to send your family to a place of cover, make sure they are armed. If you don't trust them with a firearm or simply do not have an extra weapon, have a stash of baseball bats somewhere.

You are basically the point man. If they get past you, then they will get to your family.

Lets say, for example, a 7 year old kid. You probably cannot hand him a revolver, but you can give him a baseball bat. If you have a woman and 2 kids all armed with bats, they have better odds then with nothing at all.
Old October 19, 2009, 03:37 PM   #41
cycleguru

Wow. Reading all these makes me really thankful that I live where I do. I live in a tiny town in rural OR. In the 33 years that I've been here we've had about 3 murders, a handful of rapes, and the VERY occational burglery. The only gunfire I ever hear (other than when I'm shooting) is from the hills around town during deer or elk season.

I'm not naive enough, though, to think that bad stuff will never happen. I have a CC license and carry most of the time (not usually inside my house though). I also have a pump 12ga. mounted in a place where I can get it quick if I were ever to need it. My wife isn't a shooter and doesn't really like guns, but I've taken her out to my shooting spot and made her fam fire my guns so she at least knows what they feel like.

I'm new to TFL but am really enjoying it and am learning a lot from all you folks.

Last edited by cycleguru; October 19, 2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old October 19, 2009, 03:42 PM   #42
cycleguru

Wow. Reading all these makes me really thankful that I live where I do. I live in a tiny town in rural OR. In the 33 years that I've been here we've had about 3 murders, a handful of rapes, and the VERY occational burglery. The only gunfire I ever hear (other than when I'm shooting) is from the hills around town during deer or elk season.

I'm not naive enough, though, to think that bad stuff will never happen. I have a CC license and carry most of the time (not usually inside my house though). I also have a pump 12ga. mounted in a place where I can get it quick if I were ever to need it. My wife isn't a shooter and doesn't really like guns, but I've taken her out to my shooting spot and made her fam fire my guns so she at least knows what they feel like.

I'm new to TFL but am really enjoying it and am learning a lot from all you folks.
Old October 19, 2009, 08:40 PM   #43
jakeg823

Quote:
In Jackson these days... That's not a bad idea...

(I grew up in Kosciusko, spent a good amount of time in the Clinton/Jackson/Brandon area as a lad chasing skirts. Some parts of the area have definitely taken a turn for the worse over the years.)
i'm from the florence/richland area, florence isnt bad but richland is steadily getting so trashy i dont trust it...florence is still pretty much mayberry

jackson on the other hand..........i dont go into jackson w/o at least my judge w/in a midget's arms reach

however! i'm in hattiesburg attending USM now, its getting nuts down here! i just turned 21 in august so i'm bout to get my ccp as soon as the cash comes up, and get my ccw at the same time hopefully
Old October 19, 2009, 10:02 PM   #44
si vis pacem, para b

I used to sell door to door. It was the hardest job I ever held. I now own my own business and attribute a lot of my success to things I learned while doing that. That being said I always answer the door to solicitors. I let my wife know so she is on alert. I am on alert, because I am always on alert. It may not be the wisest thing to do, but most of them are just trying to make an honest living.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Old October 20, 2009, 02:15 PM   #45
markj

I just re read the original post, this was Saturday at noon?

Dont anyone have folks just drop by and knock at the door wondering what you are up too?
Old October 20, 2009, 06:06 PM   #46
minniedog2

I never met a door to door salesman that was not overpriced or selling a gimmick.
Old October 21, 2009, 09:28 AM   #47
wyatt3d

markj
Quote:
I just re read the original post, this was Saturday at noon?

Dont anyone have folks just drop by and knock at the door wondering what you are up too?
Did you read it all? I didn't get to the door right away, when I looked outside I saw his buddy trying to open the door on the house across the street. The original "salesman" then returned a few minutes later to knock on my door after I didn't answer the first time. I became suspicious after I saw one of the men try to enter a house illegally.
Old October 21, 2009, 11:52 AM   #48
OHW

In my "hood" this scam has gone on for more than 20 years. Firsrt is was stereo speakers later patio furniture. Faux quality and grey market items is correct. The sales err delievery drivers are typically ex-cons.

How do I know? When I was down and ot I applied for every job available. One being electronics wharehouse. When I got there , I was met by Conmen operating a tiny wharehouse that manufactured highend speakers. By no means were they any name brand. This operation supposedly had 50 or working there already in a 20' by 50' wharehouse. The scam was you were to wharehouse speakers in your vehicle and go to parking lots or door to door if you dared. You sell you pay for the merch you stored.There was no business license to do this of course. Several unsavory employees showed up to get merch. They were high on something, had no education and looked like scum. The Conman then informs me these guys are good sellers (of what?) and that they are good cons that need a second chance.In fact most of his so called wharehouse workers were in fact ex-cons. I took my leave and chances on the next interveiw.

Over the yeears I have seen these ex-cons hawking wares in gas station ,grocery store, beach and every parking lot imaginable. Even door to door in Apartment complexs.

At some point a roommate came home with this parking lot deal. Those speakers bought for way too much, after he never had a chance to hear them, had no warrenty or sales reciept lasted less than a year before breaking.

On the door answering, I never open the door. I will shout through it. If they can't state their business through it , then they just are looking for you to open it.
Old October 21, 2009, 01:56 PM   #49
XD Gunner

Quote:
How about just a NO TRESPASSING sign and an electric fence? That'll keep everyone away.
Tried it, some people are just so stupid that they will actually grab the fence to step over it.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton