The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Foxbat

Changing from regular primers to Magnum

I have never used Magnum primers before, but just bought a few cases of CCI Magnum Small Pistol primers... have to take what you can these days!

What is the general consensus on adjusting the load with such a change? Specifically, 9mm and .40.

Something like 5% reduction? Asking for personal experiences. Will of course chrono, just need the starting position.
Old September 4, 2009, 05:46 PM   #2
That'll Do

I have substituted magnum primers for standard ones in handgun loads.

If I switch primers, I'll work the load up again until I find what I'm looking for accuracy wise.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Bigtony

It's best to just rework the load from scratch. The mag primer will change the burn rate of the powder, so affecting the pressure in the case and the speed of the bullet.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
mkl

Dropping back 5% should be fine. Start that way, but don't be surprised if you end up with the same powder charge as using regular primers for a given velocity. Chrono to be sure. Depends a lot on which powder you are using as to whether on not a "magnum" primer makes any difference in pressure/velocity.
Old September 4, 2009, 07:23 PM   #5
rn22723

Quote:
It's best to just rework the load from scratch. The mag primer will change the burn rate of the powder, so affecting the pressure in the case and the speed of the bullet.
Great advice!