The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Slip Shooter

.380 102gr golden Sabers in Stock - Midway

Notified by e-mail from Midway at 2:50 P.M. CST 9-01-09 that Remington .380 102 gr, Golden Saber JHPs are in stock.

Just ordered 1000.

Good luck

NRA Benefactor Member.
Old September 1, 2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Nickanto

Wow, ya needed 50 boxes of defense rounds huhh? No wonder they are sold out already.
Old September 1, 2009, 05:38 PM   #3
kayakersteve

slip shooter

I gotta agree with the previous poster. Why do you need 1000 rounds - Share some with the rest of us. This just perpetuates the ammo dilema we have created.
Old September 1, 2009, 05:54 PM   #4
JWT

1000 rounds of defense ammo does seem a bit more than most individuals would need - unless someone is expecting a large invasion or someone who is an extremely poor shot.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I don't admire mindless hoarding either, but I don't see 1000 as a really a big number, especially not if it's for a new load. Even more especially not if you're developing a new load in a new gun. For that I figure 50 rounds for initial load development and tweaking, then another 150 to complete the commonly suggested 200 round break-in. Then, whether the gun is new or not, it is also commonly recommended for self-loaders to run 500 rounds of a new load without experiencing feed or firing failures to be sure you have a trustworthy combination for carry. After that, 5-9 remaining boxes for maintaining familiarity and comfort with the round over a season and having some for carry doesn't seem excessive to me, either.

I don't think we'd be remarking on his buying 1000 primers. Also, with bullets, often there is a price break at 500 or 1000, by which means the seller encourages buying at those quantities.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 1, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Sevens

Seems that we have Unclenick talking about component bullets... all other posters talking about boxes of loaded ammo... and the OP didn't really state either way what he's talking about. It is a topic in the Handloading & Reloading forum, so you'd want to think he's talking about component bullets.

If he's talking about loaded rounds and not component bullets, I'd have to agree-- that's a helluva lot of horribly expensive ammo. Doesn't bother me any... I'm not looking for that stuff.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7
Tex S

Oh jeez... here we go again.

Nickanto said:

Quote:
No wonder they are sold out already.
Wrong. As of 11:00pm central time on 9/1 Midway is still showing availiability. Furthermore, why would you take a jab at a guy who is posting info that may potentially help other people find products that have been out of stock since January? Don't forget that we are here to help each other.

Kyakersteve said:

Quote:
Why do you need 1000 rounds - Share some with the rest of us.
When in reality the more important question is... Why is it any of your business? The guy has money, we live in a free market society, he can spend as he chooses. He also doesn't need to "share" anything with you. The OP was kind enough to let you know the bullets are availiable, quit sulking and give Midway your cc #. Problem solved.

JWT said:

Quote:
1000 rounds of defense ammo does seem a bit more than most individuals would need - unless someone is expecting a large invasion or someone who is an extremely poor shot.
The first part of the above quote sounds like something a gun grabber would say :barf:. As for the second part, maybe, just maybe, Slip Shooter is an avid shooter... I mean, we are talking on a firearms forum here! Maybe he shoots 200 rounds of SD ammo a week to stay sharp. More importantly, who cares what he does with his bullets?

Get off your soapbox guys. I bought 1000 of these bullets too, only I made my purchase back in April. The bullets just shipped today. If you want components suck it up and get on a backorder list. Don't tell everybody else they are buying too many components.

Oh, and for the record,I have not had any 380 ammo in several months, so I plan on shooting ALOT of 380 when these bullets arrive... maybe even 1000. Actually, you know what? Maybe 2000.

Guess I'd better call Midway...
Old September 2, 2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Slip Shooter

Feed Back

Thanks Unclenick, Sevens and Tex S,

I have always used .380 factory fodder, but it’s hard to come by and not reasonably priced.

I have been waiting a long time to purchase the .380 Golden Sabers and will be working up a factory duplication load.

The 102gr. Golden Saber will be my preferred bullet for reloading. I feed three .380s and to me 1000 bullets are not enough. I have been reloading for many years and recently ordered .380 Lee Dies and a FCD along with a Case Gauge to put me into loading this caliber.

Primers - I have 3300 Small Pistol Primers that were hoarded before hoarding began.

Hmmmm, seems to me I need more Golden Sabers.

NRA Benefactor Member.

Last edited by Slip Shooter; September 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old September 2, 2009, 01:37 AM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

If you want to get three 500 round smooth-running proof of performance tests in, you will. At least one bullet per primer, if memory serves?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 3, 2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Ozzieman

Good for you Slip Shooter.
Any one that calls some one that purchases 1000 rounds of primary or secondary gun ammo "hording" needs to serve a little bread with that wine.
A thousand rounds is being intelligent,,, not hording.
Thanks for the info, think I will go out and pick up 10 boxes for my Wife.