The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Roman Knoll

Don't forget your other rifles ..

Last few seasons I hunted exclusively with my custom made .30-06. With this rifle I took about 20 big game animals. It just felt so natural to grab it every time I went hunting. All my other rifles were of course very cross with me. So this season I promised to take them all hunting. My .30-06 shouldn’t mind. After all she’s been to Africa with me this year an taken monster Rowland Ward class impala among other things.

So I started with my little Ruger International .308 W full stock carbine when I went hunting moose last week. Equipped with Aimpoint she took nice fat moose cow, filling my freezer with all venison I need for next year. I will be hunting moose in October too. Then time will come for .375 H&H. Nice load for this rifle with 235 grains Rhino bullet is being now developed for this hunt.

Finally in November I will be hunting with my old dear friend – 6.5x55. We shall go together into the forest and try to take fallow deer or roe or maybe even odd wild boar.

If I’m lucky I may even squeeze in somehow my over and under shotgun rifle combination. I neglected her for far too long since she took a nice wild boar for me in Poland many years ago.

Roman
Old September 10, 2002, 05:19 PM   #2
griz

I’ve had the same worry about using one gun. The single rifle theory has the distinct advantage of becoming very familiar with that gun. It starts to work almost automatically.

I even thought that since I used mostly one gun, and it certainly is capable of taking 90-95 percent of what I’m hunting, then maybe I should sell most of the other guns.

But I came to my senses and bought another rifle.
Old September 10, 2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Roman Knoll

Nice post. Makes you think a little. Regards to Sweden.
Old September 10, 2002, 06:02 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, it all depends on whether I'm "just huntin'", or "serious huntin'". Just meddlin' around, and maybe there's an off chance I might see something, there's no telling what I'll grab, what mood for which critter.

Serious stuff? Nope. Just one. I learned the hard way. A buddy of mine and I baited in a really big mountain lion. Beautiful cat, sorta Siamese-ish points. I had a new-to-me cherry little Rem 600 in .308, with a K4. Unfortunately, I had done nothing about the trigger.

When I took my shot, offhand at about 80 yards, the difference between the six-pound pull on the 600 and the two-pound pull of "Ol' Pet" meant I pulled low, just burned hair under his chest and in line with his heart.

I won't make that mistake again.

Art
Old September 10, 2002, 09:06 PM   #5
Dan Morris

LOL, Roman, good to hear from you again!After years of using a 06, I think I'm gonna use my .270 on both deer and elk this year.
For some reason, I'm shooting it better than ole fathful.
Dan