The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
BuffaloGirl

Advice please!! reloading 8mm mauser, 7.7 jap and 30-06

I am looking to get my husband a reloader for 8mm mauser, 7.7 jap and 30-06 I have been reading and am unsure of what I actually need to get and then what company I should buy from... Any advice you could give me would be very appreciated!!
Old September 28, 2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

There are several paths possible to take. I don't know what your budget is or what volume of loading your husband will do, but since he is shooting rifles, and more than one, I think a single-stage press kit is probably the best place to start if there is one available for the press you want.

You will need:

A good loading manual with basic instructions if one does not come with the press kit. The Lyman #49 is a good one. Richard Lee's Modern Reloading describes the loading process well and comes with some of Lee's kits.

The press kit.

A separate set of dies for each caliber.

Powder

Primers

bullets

A case trimmer

Personally, I think it pays to start out basic, but decent quality to avoid problems or disappointments. For that reason I think the Lee Classic Cast press is a good step above the bottom level presses and may even be the best of its general type, despite not being the most expensive, but I am not sure it is available as a kit at this time. That means a powder scale, case lubricant, and powder dispensing funnel will also be needed.

Lee Dies have always worked for me. There are some specialty dies for accuracy reloading for match shooters, but I would let your husband decide on that sort of thing for himself down the road. The basic Lee RGB dies are the least expensive and work.

Lee also makes the least expensive case trimming system. Again, for starting out it is perfectly fine. This will be the least expensive route in case the hobby doesn't "take". It is also generally true that even if you go with something as inexpensive as the Lee Breechlock press kit, when he graduates to fancier stuff he will still find use for it.

Lee also has a range of instructional videos that users find useful.

I'll let the others pick up with purchase suggestions as my own spouse is requiring I attend the weekly rubbish take-out.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; September 28, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
medalguy

Everybody has their favorites. Many people swear by Lee equipment but others swear AT it. I prefer RCBS equipment because it's worked very well for me for 40 years of reloading and they have a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell. There are a number of sources, but again my preference is Midway for equipment.

I would suggest starting out with a basic press such as the Rockchucker which will last a lifetime. He will need several other items such as a good manual, powder measure, powder scale, case trimmer, and dies for each caliber plus shell holders for each caliber to go in the press. He will also need bullets and powder and primers, but I would let him select those according to what he's going to be shooting. Good luck.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:49 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

The best gift my wife ever gave me was my Forster Co-Ax press. Rest assured, it is one press he will always use, and never feel like upgrading (which can be a problem when someone gives you a gift, but after a while you want something better). That's not to say that he won't ever want a progressive press, but a good single stage press will always be appreciated even after he has a progressive.

Depending on your budget, some really nice reloading tools include:

Forster Co-Ax Reloading Press ($225)
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 Electronic powder dispenser ($300)
RCBS Universal Hand Primer (really handy with the co-ax press, since neither one needs shell holders) ($45)
L.E. Wilson case trimmer (throw in the Sinclair micrometer adjuster for a really sweet touch) (Trimmer = $35, micrometer = $100)
Forster or Redding Competition dies for each caliber.

Andy
Old September 28, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Farmland

I like the Lee Cast Single Stage Press, no one ever said a bad word about this press. Value for the money would rate it as the best cast single stage press. The more I use it the more I like it.

However if your husband is a normal guy then a press might be one of those personal things.

Did you think about getting him a gift certificate from a place like Cabela's?