The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2009, 09:47 AM   #1
newguy07

best powder for 38s and 40s

I reload light 38s and 40s with a lee classic turrett press and use a auto-disc pro powder dropper. What is the best powder to be used with both calibers? I use mostly very light (below starting loads in most cases) for practice mostly.
Old September 26, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Jim243

Be careful on the light loads, sometime pressure is greater on light loads than full loads. Need to get that bullet started before pressure builds too high. Also you might stick the bullet in the barrel if the pressure is too low. Win 231 will work on both 38s and 40s.

Jim
Old September 26, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
margiesex

Just can't beat....

I'm an Alliant guy - you just can't beat the value of Alliant Bullseye for .38's and .40's - and their Unique works well for both, too. One or the other of this pair will suit you!

God bless and happy loading!

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old September 26, 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

In handguns you don't generally need to concern yourself with pressure spikes from low loads if you just use a suitably quick powder and don't make the loads ridiculously small. I've not seen a reported detonation that wasn't at around 10% powder space fill, and that's only been in rifle cases. If it worries you, calculate the space under the bullet and keep it 20% filled or more, and you should be fine.

If you try to use small amounts of the slower powders used for maximum velocities, they don't burn very well or completely. They need the pressure of a more nearly full load to combust efficiently. You waste a lot of powder and have a dirtier gun to clean up. So, you want a fast powder for light loads, such as the Bullseye or Unique mentioned above.

For your measure, I've heard complaints about uniform dispensing of Unique's large flake powders, but the smaller one's, like Bullseye, should be OK. The most consistent metering is usually from spherical propellants, like Winchester 231 and Hodgdon HP38. (These are actually the same powder rebranded, but either one would be a good place to start.) A quick look at the lightest bullets for either chambering shows about 2.5 grains and up will meet the 20% criterion. They will also be too light for best accuracy with most loads and too light to operate the action of the .40 S&W, so you'll have no reason to load any lower than that anyway. That's pretty light.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2009, 12:45 PM   #5
abber

Universal Clays. I use it for both calibers mentioned. Very economical, and best of all, very clean.
Old September 26, 2009, 09:04 PM   #6
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by abber
Universal Clays. I use it for both calibers mentioned. Very economical, and best of all, very clean.
I'll second the vote for Universal. It really does live up to its name. It would an excellent choice for loading 38 Special and 40 S&W.
Old September 27, 2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Blue Grass

AA#2. Clean, accurate, meters well, lower charge weight, and $2-3.00 a lb cheaper (in my area, anyway) than other pistol powders.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:43 PM   #8
dwhite

Universal Clays for all the above reasons plus it meters great.

I use it in both rounds with great results.

All the Best,
D. White
Old September 28, 2009, 04:48 PM   #9
howlnmad

Gotta go along with the universal clays too. I use it in 9mm, 38's, 357's and 40's. Never had a problem at all.