The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 10, 2015, 11:07 AM   #1
georgiacatweazle

ATF 4473 and expired GC or applying for citizenship

in about 6 weeks my GC will expire, I will still be a permanent resident. I am not sure if I will renew it or apply for citizenship.
How will this effect firearms purchases ?
The 4473 requires an A# and i assume the photocopy the FFL will take of my GC will obviously be expired.
does this matter ?
Old June 10, 2015, 11:29 AM   #2
natman

Just on general principles, I would advise that you not let your GC expire until you ARE a citizen.

I don't know the exact answer to the 4773 question, but I do know that things would go a lot smoother with a current GC than without. I expect that would be true for a lot of things.
Old June 10, 2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

The green card is a required piece of identification on the 4473. If it's expired, it's generally not considered valid.
Old June 10, 2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You need to renew your green card -- immediately. My late wife missed on hers by about a week, and it cost us two-plus years and several thousand dollars in attorney fees to get it straightened out.

If your green card expires before you become a citizen, you are no longer a legal resident alien. Period. Forget about buying guns, your goal at that point will be to avoid being caught and deported.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures."
Old June 10, 2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
If your green card expires before you become a citizen, you are no longer a legal resident alien.
He won't lose his status under the expired card. However, travel and employment could be adversely affected.
Old June 11, 2015, 06:44 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
He won't lose his status under the expired card. However, travel and employment could be adversely affected.
With respect, Tom, that's not what the .gov told my wife. We avoided deportation only by paying a land shark several thousand dollars to initiate an appeal process, which took a couple or three years, a lot of time, and additional money to see through to a successful conclusion.

My advice, based on first-hand experience, is DO NOT allow a green card to expire unless you either (a) have attained citizenship, or (b) are leaving the U.S. and don't have any intention of coming back.
Old June 11, 2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
With respect, Tom, that's not what the .gov told my wife. We avoided deportation only by paying a land shark several thousand dollars to initiate an appeal process
If she had the 2-year conditional card, the law does allow for deportation if the I-751 isn't done in time. Generally, status is only lost through abandonment (leaving the country) or criminal conviction.
Old June 11, 2015, 02:13 PM   #8
TimSr

Whether it changes your status or not, it will save you a lot of headaches to be able to whip out a card and prove your status is legal than to go through alternative means to prove it. Even when you are right, trying to get an error straightened out can be a costly nightmare.

My advise would be to make a decision one way or the other and apply for citizenship or a green card renewal NOW. If you have a citizenship application pending, it may not be necessary to renew your green card while its pending. it might also be realistic to expect to have trouble buying additional guns during your limbo period.