The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 2, 2018, 11:00 AM   #51
kraigwy

best thing is to figure out what you want the round to do. Then play with balistic charts for the two and see what would work best for you.

Dont forget the compormise, the tried and true 270, its between the two in diameter and with todays bullets it out preforms both.

But we all have our opinions. Maybe one of each, then a few more and everything is covered.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 2, 2018, 12:17 PM   #52
Tallest

Agreeing with Old Stony – It’s interesting that we get so worked up over what, by comparison to shooter ability and knowledge, are marginal factors in the end result. Using the 400 yd example; The large majority of hunters are going to kill game or not based on their ability to hit an appropriate kill zone. Those who struggle with this will very likely get the same result from both 7mm-08, 6.5CM… etc! And as far as target shooting goes, fine tuning by caliber when both options are reasonable similar should come when you have maxed out your basics, mechanics and knowledge. At the point at which the only factors available to improve your results are the difference between the 6.5CM and the 7-08, you’re probably well within the last 1-2% of your capability.

With that said, I have a 7mm-08 and it is my go-to deer rifle!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old July 2, 2018, 01:46 PM   #53
std7mag

Sorry, first I've seen of the 6.5Creed compared to 7mm-08.
Usually it's compared with it's parent case, the 260 Rem.

Match shooters with the "modular sporting rifle" platform complained that you could not seat long heavy match bullets out, due to the limitations of the magazines. Hornady came up with a shortened, improved casing that let heavy match bullets seat out of the powder column better.

For the "modular sporting rifle", I think the 6.5 Creed would perform better for game out to 400 yards.

In a bolt rifle, it's a different story, with the edge going to the 260 Rem.

Comparing them to the 7mm-08 is like comparing 300 Win Mag to 338 Lapua. Different beasts...

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 2, 2018, 02:19 PM   #54
BBarn

Obviously the two calibers are very close in ballistics. Biggest difference is the commonly available hunting bullet weights (up to about 140gr for the 6.5mm, and about 175gr for the 7mm). Heavier match bullets are available for both. So getting which ever one appeals to each particular individual makes sense.

Both are superb for deer. The 6.5mm Creedmoor might be preferred if antelope is also on the menu. Likewise, the 7mm-08 is likely a little better if you're after elk.

I believe the 6.5 is currently seeing much more use than the 7mm-08 for paper punching.

Long term, it's hard to say. The 7mm-08 has been around longer and although it is somewhat popular, I don't think its ever been a huge seller. The 6.5 hasn't been around as long, but it seems to be very popular at the moment.
Old July 2, 2018, 05:25 PM   #55
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I know very little info about the 6.5 Creedmoor although a prior suggested comment~
Quote:
The Creedmoor is based of the .30 TC case, but .243 win is probably the closest case for conversion
As to the closes cartridge brass. My thoughts suggest a 260 Rem brass may qualify for such purpose?
Than again (speculating?) could a 6.5 Creedmoor simply be a retread of the 260 Rem and change in moniker?????
Old July 2, 2018, 09:02 PM   #56
std7mag

Bbarn,
Actually common weights of bullets, especially factory ammo, for both the Creed and 7mm-08 are 120 to 140 gr.
I have heard of no one using a 175gr. bullet in the 7mm-08.
I don't even care for 160gr bullets due to the length of the bullet. I have a very generous throat (Nosler 140gr. Ballistic Tips loaded to 2.898") and when loading 160 gr there is too much intrusion into the case.

Exactly the same reason the Creed was made for the modular sporting rifles.

Old July 3, 2018, 01:50 AM   #57
stagpanther

Quote:
Actually common weights of bullets, especially factory ammo, for both the Creed and 7mm-08 are 120 to 140 gr.
I have heard of no one using a 175gr. bullet in the 7mm-08.
I don't even care for 160gr bullets due to the length of the bullet. I have a very generous throat (Nosler 140gr. Ballistic Tips loaded to 2.898") and when loading 160 gr there is too much intrusion into the case.

Exactly the same reason the Creed was made for the modular sporting rifles.
You have me a bit stumped on that one--though I'm new to the 7-08 I haven't noticed much of a difference in seating issues with the 7-08 with heavier bullets to say like seating for the regular 308 win. Unless you're talking long range paper punching efficiency?
Old July 3, 2018, 04:06 AM   #58
std7mag

Pull out a 139gr SST and compare it to a 160gr HPBT GameKing, or the SPBT GameKing. Quite a difference.

Old July 3, 2018, 08:04 AM   #59
stagpanther

Quote:
Pull out a 139gr SST and compare it to a 160gr HPBT GameKing, or the SPBT GameKing. Quite a difference.
There is--point given, I'm just saying that in general the 7-08 is far more adaptable to heavier bullets than the creedmoor.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:12 PM   #60
Jakeway

Short answer: There is no "big" difference.

Longer opinion: it comes down to what bullet weight you want to use.

I live in Tennessee, where we can legally kill three does a day throughout the rifle season (Late November through Jan 8). We can legally shoot coyotes any day of the year. We have limited wild hogs but no real huntable herds of game larger than deer.

So I use the 6.5 CM or my 260 REM with bullets from 85 grains (varmints and 'Yotes) and 120 or 140 gr for deer. I also have a 7mm-08, a 270 WIN, and a 243. The 260 REM is my favorite, because I like something a bit larger and heavier than a 100 gr 243, but I have no use for any bullets greater than 140 gr. My 260 performs better with a 140 gr bullet than my 7-08 does.