The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 11, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1
skizzums

9mm ar upper

I have an extra lower laying aroung and want to do a 9mm, I have been waitng for 9mm bolts to come down in price, but I don't think it's happening. so I might as well jut pony up the 175$ and get it over with. the question: is there any difference between a standard pper and the 9mm upper besides adding the shel deflector and dust cover? can this be done to any upper? does it even HAVE to be done at all? or are there other differences? I see a high price for dedicated 9mm uppers

obviously, only talking about the sole receiver, not barreled
Old December 11, 2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Sharkbite

My 9mm AR runs a dedicated 9mm LOWER but a standard UPPER. No case deflector and a standard 556 sized dust cover.

I dont get hit with brass, even with the gun in my left shoulder. So i never saw the point in adding the case deflector.
Old December 11, 2014, 11:52 AM   #3
skizzums

okay awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. I wasn't sure if the ramped bolt required different upper dimensions or anything. my brass will be going into a catcher regardless and I would prefer to run a slick-side upper anyways to keep it light and simple. I would doubt the need for a forward assist on a 9mm
Old December 11, 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
45_auto

Many 9mm upper receivers have the ejector built into them. I don't know of any 9mm bolts that have an ejector.

I built a 9mm AR many years ago and made an adapter to put the ejector into the lower receiver.