The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

$325 To Spend...Remington 870 or Colt Detective Special

I have $325 to spend and am torn about which direction to take. I have the choice of a brand new synthetic stock Remington 870 in 12 gauge OR a 1972 Colt Detective Special .38 Special which has been parkerized but is in very sound mechanical shape and with a tight lock-up.

Which would you buy and why?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old December 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Yung.gunr

Prob the .38. I like handguns more than shotguns.

Plus, I already have a Mossberg 500, but no wheelies.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Buzzcook

I already have a shotgun. If I didn't, there are lots of fine pump actions out there for half that price.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:25 PM   #4
BarryLee

As someone who sold a Colt .38 several years ago and have long regretted it – The Colt.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 11, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
ohiomossyoak

I already own a Mossberg 500 an Ulti-Mag 835 so a shotgun is not high on my list right now..
Old December 11, 2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Hal

Sort of no brainer - the Dick Special.

Even though I myself don't care for Colt revolvers.

Dick specials don't pop up for sale all the time.
Usually, somebody or another has the 870 on sale every other week.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Southern Shooter

Photo of Colt Detective Special

Here is an image of the 1972 Colt Detective Special that I am considering buying.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Colt Detective Special 1972 gif.GIF (199.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1972 Colt Detective my purchase from Sammy2.JPG (189.0 KB, 44 views)
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; December 11, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
ohiomossyoak

Do you own a shotgun?What do you own(if you dont mind me asking)?
Old December 11, 2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Southern Shooter

Shotgun Wise...

A well-seasoned 870 in 12 gauge, new 870 in 20 gauge, and a new Mossy Maverick 88 in 12 gauge...and, single shots in .410, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Strafer Gott

King of Snubs everyday and all night long. In your pictures it looks parkerized.
Are you certain it's not an agent, which is noticeably lighter.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:10 PM   #11
ohiomossyoak

Quote:
A well-seasoned 870 in 12 gauge, new 870 in 20 gauge, and a new Mossy Maverick 88 in 12 gauge...and, single shots in .410, 20 gauge, and 12 gauge.

Seems like you know the answer to your dilemma then?Unless you have been longing for a Syn stock 870..
Old December 11, 2012, 05:12 PM   #12
Southern Shooter

Parkerized Agent

Yes, I have actually handled the revolver. It is a Detective Special. The person that owns it now had it parkerized due to some surface rusting.

And, yes...I think my answer is beginning to gel...I may be adopting the Colt.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Yung.gunr

Definitely go with the revolver. Looks like you have your shotgun bases covered.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Mr. James

Have to concur. Your shotgun needs are well covered, unless you're into competitive clays!

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old December 11, 2012, 11:44 PM   #15
22-rimfire

The choice is not even close. Get the Colt!

It will never be a collector gun. So shoot it and enjoy it. I found one that was pretty nice for a fair price that I use for a shooter. It was not $325 however.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:17 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

The COLT, in a hot second. There are millions of 870s, and they are still made. Not quite dime a dozen, but you can find them everywhere. Not so the Colt.

and, its already a collector's gun...not the high demand high dollar kind, yet, BUT they aren't making any more of them, its value will not decrease.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

Colt - I'm keeping mine as it is rising in value.
Old December 15, 2012, 03:52 PM   #18
WVsig

Colt you can buy the 870 later.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:48 PM   #19
Joe_Pike

Buy the one you think you would use the most and have the need for.

Quote:
As someone who sold a Colt .38 several years ago and have long regretted it – The Colt.
I've sold three Colt revolvers this year and don't regret it one bit. And, one was a DS for $325.
Old December 16, 2012, 06:52 PM   #20
Patriot86

I am torn. For me the Remington has more "practical use"

Besides being very valuable for SD/HD , you can also hunt with it. The shotgun is like the swiss army knife of weapons. Doesn't have the range of a rifle, or the size of a handgun but has lots of power close in.

The colt may hold its value, may become more valuable true true and you can CC it but as far as pure utility IMO it scores lower. It all really depends on what you are looking to do with the gun, if this is a collection piece or for something else.

If you were putting me out in the wild with one of these firearms though it would be the shotgun hands down.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:38 PM   #21
PetreTG

If for Home Defense ... Rem870 all day long.

Really depends on the purpose.