The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 21, 2012, 05:18 PM   #26
Luger_carbine

I guess whatever idea Pat Quinn, Lisa Madigan and Hiram Grau came up with to pressure Dozier to delay his press release didn't work so well
Old August 21, 2012, 05:27 PM   #27
Luger_carbine

It seems like he got kinda preachy about RTKBA it doesn't seem like he needed to get into crime statistics.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:34 PM   #28
armoredman

Gusty man. What's interesting is unlike Dear Leader refusing to prosecute people under DOMA or Federal drug laws, this man has SCOTUS decisions to back himself up with, nice move. We'll see what happens next.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:44 PM   #29
Luger_carbine

This may lead to confusion in the future

Dozier is only going to be in office for another 2 months. While the incoming state's attorney is pro-gun, he isn't going to follow Dozier's exact policy:

http://wjbc.com/sa-dozier-relaxing-r...ncealed-carry/

It seems like in the future - the decision to charge may reside with the arresting officer.

Sounds like a recipe for chaos to me...
Old August 22, 2012, 12:43 PM   #30
False Dmitri

I live in McLean Co

the sheriff and the BPD chief agree with the DA, but have said they will continue to "enforce the law," meaning they'll make arrests. It will be up to the DA (who will replaced by the DA-elect that has stated this is "reckless.")

My guess is if anyone gets pinched for of these offenses, the current DA will decline the prosecute, but the new DA will file or refile charges against those arrested during this time period as soon as he's in office.

I'm not going to be a test case, that's for sure!
Old August 22, 2012, 03:02 PM   #31
KevK.

It's going to get very ugly if someone does carry concealed and has to use a weapon in self-defense.

Even if I lived there I wouldn't carry until the law was changed. I stop a voilent crime by shooting someone and the legal ramifications both criminal and civil will be horrible. I might not be criminally prosecuted, but I'll lose everything else.
Old August 23, 2012, 12:37 AM   #32
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
I might not be criminally prosecuted, but I'll lose everything else.
...except your life!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 4, 2012, 07:19 PM   #33
junglebob

KevK, Believe it or not Illinois has some good laws to protect you if you are defending yourself against someone committing a forcible felony.

In Public Act 093-0832 it says "In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or onbehold of any person acting within the definition of "agressor of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.

In other words you can't be sued by a perp for defending yourself.