The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 25, 2011, 09:33 AM   #1
rodent.22

Kirst Konversion for my Uberti .44 Dragoon

I I received my .44 Dragoon on the 15th and decided to convert it to .45 centerfire. I ordered the Kirst cylinder last Sunday and it was on my doorstep Wednesday. Fit and finish was perfect. A drop-in for the Uberti, no timing issues or fitting problems whatsoever. A loading channel must be cut into the right recoil shield. A 1/2'' carbide rotary bit in an air drill roughed it out in about 30 minutes. Careful here!! Then an hour of progressively finer sandpaper until the cut surface matched the frame surface. A swirling of cold blue and it looks factory. I'm very pleased with the result. I reload for Cowboy Action loads (1000 FPS) or less which is REQUIRED for this conversion and this is the load I shoot in my Vaqueros.

Last edited by rodent.22; December 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Hawg

I responded to this on one of the other forums you posted it on. Looks nice but if you'll pull the hammer to full cock before lowering it you'll stop scoring the cylinder.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
rodent.22

Hiya Hawg, yeah I know....
Old June 25, 2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Bill Akins

That looks sweet Rodent.22!
Congrats, great job.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old June 25, 2011, 03:45 PM   #5
rodent.22

thanks for the comments- it shoots great. One slight cylinder stop adjustment and it will be A-1....
Old June 27, 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
enyaw

Rodent, what bullets do you use in that Dragoon with the conversion cylinder? What size-diameter?
What are the land and groove diameters of the barrel?
You use a hollow base bullet? Heeled bullet? Flat base? Pure lead? Alloy? Hard cast?
Any leading to the barrel?
What does "shoots great" mean in terms of group size at 25 yards benched?
You shooting smokeless or blackpowder?
Old June 27, 2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Dino.

Great job!
That looks factory.
Old June 29, 2011, 03:55 AM   #8
rodent.22

enyaw I'm using .452 alloy Proofmark bullets RNFP with flat base. After 50 break-in rounds NO LEADING. Using a Lee .7 dipper with Bullseye smokeless powder. I have had double catarac surgery and 3 retina detachments, bench shooting ain't my strong point. ''Shoots great'' is to point of aim....