The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 20, 2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Mutatio Nomenis

Questions 'bout the '103

I've got a few questions about the AK-103. I'm doing a research paper on modern firearms and I need information from people who actually shoot the things.

Firstly, how accurate is the thing. What size of groupings do you get at 100, 200, and 300 yards? What is about the maxiumum distance from which you can hit a human sized target with good reliability?

Secondly, how much do they cost?

Thirdly, are they just a reskinned AK-17 with a muzzle brake, or are their any actually good improvements on the things?

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Scorch

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as05-e.htm
Old May 21, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
noyes

Izhmash

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/weapon.shtml
Old May 21, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
SDC

There are a couple of changes in the 100 series, mainly to try to standardize parts among the different members of the family, but Izhmash also offers a number of other specialized variations (the "-2" versions are semi-auto only, for police and militia, and they can also be fitted with a "safe-semi-3-full" fire control group). The bolts/bolt carriers and other major parts are interchangeable between the full-size and compact variations of the rifles, unlike with the AKSU and AK-74M. All the AK-100s are fitted with luminescent night-sights, and have a mounting bar for optical or electronic night-sights. Fedoseev's "Kalashnikov" has a bit more info on these, as does Monetchikov's "History of Russian Automatics". I think the best of the series are the AK-107/108, which use the same sort of "opposing-piston" gas operation as on the AEK-971 to eliminate the recoil effects of the moving piston and bolt; these rifles are amazing while firing, because they just seem to hang on the target during a burst, instead of climbing.

Last edited by SDC; May 23, 2010 at 02:36 PM.