The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
ForneyRider

30-30 FTX loads

Hornady said something about trimming .010 off of SAMMI length for the FTX bullet because of ogive design of the FTX bullet. I am using Lee trimmer, which is not adjustable.

I have the following powders: Varget, R-15, IMR 3031, IMR 4064, AA2230.

Hornady has webpage and lists 29.8gr of R-15 for 2050fps. But my Lee book has 34.5gr of R-15 as MAX for 170gr. Is the FTX so much longer it has to use 4.6gr less powder than the 170gr bullet?

I prefer to use the IMR 3031 or 4064.

I don't find it necessary to set bullet depth to crimp on the cannelure. But definitely want proper feeding and acceptable pressures.

New Remington brass has been trimmed, chamfered, outside neck deburred, flash hole deburred and full-length sized (various dents fixed). And I am using CCI large rifle primers.

Anyone have a recommended powder charge and COAL for this combination?

I want factory or 100fps less performance. This is to be used in a Marlin 336W.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:26 PM   #2
Gbro

Quote:
I want factory or 100fps less performance. This is to be used in a Marlin 336W.
The Hornady load chart is 300fps below factory
Quote:
Anyone have a recommended powder charge and COAL for this combination?
The COAL is the same.
I wish I new more about testing other powders. I am sticking with the charts for now. I have used other load manuals to work up a load with a powder not listed by a manufacture but I do not intend to do that with the FXT.

Quote:
I don't find it necessary to set bullet depth to crimp on the cannelure. But definitely want proper feeding and acceptable pressures.
After reading Kraig Stuarts thoughts on crimping 30-30 loads I will not crimp another 30-30 load
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=338141

Good luck keep us informed.
My grandson will be shooting most if not all these in a 788 bolt and just want the FXT for a medium range expanding bullet for this rifle. He is 9 years old so everything will be loaded down for starting.
I do have an old 1894 30WCF that might get a few through it.

Last edited by Gbro; May 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:44 PM   #3
ForneyRider

I went with some IMR 4064, Remington brass, and CCI large rifle primer. I seated the bullets at the cannelure and did a medium roll crimp.

Redding sent me a new seater plug for the FTX bullets as the original one couldn't push the bullet down far enough. Even with the new plug, it was a PITA. I destroyed a few brand new pieces of brass setting them up. I have locked those dies down with Forster rings.

These bullets are very long south of the cannelure. As such, case capacity is about that of a 170gr.

I was going to do Varget, but that powder is way too popular, even R15 is hard to get.

My dad shot them and said he was happy. The 336W is his first centerfire lever action and he is coming off of a Remington 700 VLS .22-250 with 6-18 power scope and tuned trigger, so I had to tell him ragged bullet holes may not be possible. But big holes are.

The 336W has a Pachmayr decelerator pad and he said there was no kick. Of course, he says his 375H&H doesn't either. If we make it back to the range for Memorial Day weekend, I will run the FTX's through the chrony, but my guess is 2100 fps with the 20in barrel of the 336W.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:59 AM   #4
impalacustom

Yes you need to trim the case back and yes you should crimp on the cannelure. All it takes is one cartridge with the lead set back too much for a KB. I load the FTX for my 444 Marlin and have to trim the cases to prevent FTF. Just remember to keep your "FTX" cartridges seperate from your "regular" cartridges.

As to the post by kraigwy in the other thread, you might get away with not crimping the bullet in the 30-30 but I know for a fact that the 444 with a 330gr bullet and having 6 of them in the tube with the recoil you will set the bullets back.
Crimp...better to be safe than sorry.
Old July 2, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
ForneyRider

We shot the 336W with the FTX loads and they are great. Dad shot one, and brother shot one right after and they were <1in apart. Chrony was 2150fps.
Old July 5, 2009, 08:25 AM   #6
vbk1969

Rider did you trim the cases as hornady said or no case triming? I am thinking about working up some of these bullets in my marlin. But i like you have the lee trimer and dont really want to purchase another at this time.
Old July 5, 2009, 09:08 AM   #7
42769vette

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=362791

here is the link to my 30-30 ftx experience.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:56 AM   #8
ForneyRider

I didn't trim according to Hornady. Still using the Lee trimmer. I am looking at the Redding 2400 trimmer, but just looking.

My average velocity was 2156fps for 32gr of IMR 4064. This may be considered a MAX load.

My OAL is far from consistent, but the loads have been great. Not sure why, maybe I need to trim?

Last edited by ForneyRider; July 6, 2009 at 09:02 AM.

Tags
30-30 , ftx