The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 1, 2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Echo23TC

Savage 99 disassembly instructions

Harley, could I persuade you to email instructions on how to disassemble a Savage 99, series A?

Echo23TC
Old October 20, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Tip:

Do not, for any reason take apart the rotary magazine!!!!!! If it works, leave it alone! If you take it apart, you will have hours and hours of entertainment, and likely not very much fun! And chances are you will not be able to get it back together (so it works), even after hours of fighting it.

If you must dis-assemble the rotary mag, take it to a professional, PAY whatever they want, and let them have the fun.

Unless something is broken, you can clean the 99 without taking it apart. If you take off the wood, it gets easier to reach some parts, but there is really no point in going further.
Old October 20, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I strongly second what 44 AMP says. The best course is to remove the wood, then dunk the receiver in a sonic tank or hose it out with a good penetrant like G96 Gun Treatment. The older guns were less complex than the newer ones, but still not simple and not to be taken apart for fun.

Jim
Old October 21, 2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Harley doesn't seem to come around much anymore.

It's been nearly a month since he's been here, and I have a couple of unanswered requests in to him.

I hope he's OK.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 22, 2007, 12:20 AM   #5
toolman846

I would certainly second what Jim Keenan said. The rotary mag's biggest problem seems to be gummed up old oil, which is easily taken care of by dunk soaking in any good solvent, then a couple drops of quality gun oil to the inside stem, with a bit of careful turning, to let it get down the stem inside. You need a special forked screwdriver to get the nut off the stem, and the threads are left hand. And without a proper appliance to hold the other end of the stem, without marring it, you would be doing more harm than good. Adjusting the tension on the spool, after putting it back in the gun, can also be a bit tricky without said forked screwdriver.