The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 27, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1
republican24/7

Mauser Rifle?

I bought this rifle used several years ago and it immediately became my favorite deer rifle. It shoots and handles like a dream, but I know nothing about it other than it is a mauser action (I think). The only markings are 243 Win. on the barrel and a serial # in front of the bolt on the left side. Also, the word Buehler is engraved in the back portion of the safety lever. Anything anyone can tell me would be great. P.S. the really light patches in the stock are from bad photography/lighting.... the stock finish is pristine and it is made of walnut (again, I think).

Last edited by republican24/7; September 28, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:14 PM   #2
Hawg

Nice. It's a customized military 98 Mauser. Note the thumb cutout on the left side and the stripper clip hump is still under the rear scope mount. I had mine removed
Old September 27, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
CGSteve8718

For what it's worth...

Other than a slight difference in the shape of the bolt handle, it is from the looks of it the same bolt that I have on my Mauser K98. The extractor, the lugs on the body, the safety selector, and the bolt sleeve appear that way. The magazine also looks very similar, and from what I can see is push in operated release?

The stock however I think is all new and has nothing to do with original German Mausers. The barrel may be as well, I'm no gunsmith, so I don't know if it is possible to change from a 8mm to a .243...

Some one with more knowledge will come along soon enough.
Old September 27, 2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Hawg

The stock is custom as is the bolt handle and barrel. No you can't rechamber an 8mm to .243. The safety is a low profile Buehler made for use with a scope. The original mauser wing won't work with a low mounted scope. Nice rifle somebody spent some bucks on.
Old September 28, 2007, 05:14 PM   #5
republican24/7

Quote:
Note the thumb cutout on the left side and the stripper clip hump is still under the rear scope mount. I had mine removed
How is this removed? It seems like it would take quite a bit of metalworking by the looks of it.
Old September 28, 2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Hawg

Grind it off and polish it out.
Old September 28, 2007, 05:47 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

A very nice sporterized Mauser. Ordinarily I dislike sporterized militaries, but that one is nicely done, with a great piece of wood and top quality work.

If the gunsmith didn't sign the work, I doubt there is very much more anyone can tell you.

Jim
Old September 28, 2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Jim Watson

A nicely sporterized military Mauser. You can't rechamber an 8mm to .243 but you can sure as the dickens rebarrel it.

Might be a G33/40 Brno mountain battalion rifle from the hollow bolt handle but it has been bent and scalloped to clear the scope.
Buehler scope safety, looks like an aftermarket trigger, very handsome tiger stripe walnut stock.
No need to remove the clip hump, the rear scope base is releived to clear it.

Nice rig, but not a lot of dollar value without a big name gunsmith's signature.
Old September 28, 2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Might be a G33/40 Brno mountain battalion rifle from the hollow bolt handle but it has been bent and scalloped to clear the scope.
It's an aftermarket handle. That one is to long to have been bent. Besides I've never seen a bent bolt handle that looked anything near decent and I've seen a bunch of them.

Quote:
looks like an aftermarket trigger
My guess with the quality of the rest of the rifle it's a Timney or Jewel.

Quote:
No need to remove the clip hump, the rear scope base is releived to clear it
That's true with this rifle but I think it looks a little more professional to remove it plus it lets you use a two screw mount instead of a single screw mount.

Seems like whoever built it would have changed the trigger guard/floorplate or at least thinned the trigger guard. Mine was tapered to the rear and looks pretty neat.
Old September 28, 2007, 10:15 PM   #10
republican24/7

So you think the trigger guard/floorplate is original military? Hmmm... ok, well then somebody on here can probably tell me just how the heck to open the thing....
Old September 28, 2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Hawg

It's most likely not hinged. You can remove the floorplate by using a pencil to depress the plunger in the hole between the trigger guard and floorplate. It won't depress much, then slide the floorplate to the rear and lift it off. The mag spring comes out with it.
Old September 29, 2007, 10:50 AM   #12
fisherman66

Very pretty Mauser. That ain't no bubba version.
Old September 29, 2007, 12:08 PM   #13
republican24/7

Quote:
That ain't no bubba version
Thank you, I feel better... After reading some of the other threads on here about sporterized military rifles, I was beginning to worry...
Old September 29, 2007, 12:50 PM   #14
fisherman66

I own a bubba'd Mauser. I only have myself to blame. After my complete and utter failure at sporterizing I typically agree Mausers should be left in OEM condition, but a well done one like your draws exception in my mind.
Old September 29, 2007, 04:08 PM   #15
jrfoxx

cant gve you any info on the gun, but that stock is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!Wow....
Old September 29, 2007, 04:16 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
cant gve you any info on the gun, but that stock is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!Wow....
AIn't it tho. Mine ain't bad with a rosewood fore end tip and grip cap but it ain't near that purdy. I know I've got pics of it somewhere but danged if I can find them. Guess I'll hafta take more. Hey Republican, you need to restore that old Mauser to it's former military glory and donate that junky ol aftermarket stock to me.
Old September 29, 2007, 11:46 PM   #17
republican24/7

Quote:
you need to restore that old Mauser to it's former military glory and donate that junky ol aftermarket stock to me
Yeah, I'll get right on that...
Old September 30, 2007, 08:54 AM   #18
Hawg

I knew I had some pics somewhere. Not the best in the world but they'll do.