The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 30, 2007, 07:34 AM   #1
SouthCentral

Best belts for gun/holster CCW and IPSC

Hello all: The day I bought my first CCW handgun, a Kahr MK4043 DAO, I also bought a Bianchi IWB 100 Professional holster. I have a 1 1/2" leather belt that I've used for holding my jeans up and that was OK for this carry. Along the way I discovered that with my style of preferred clothes (I'm retired)the IWB was OK but not the best choice. I'm just getting started with a local club to do some practical shooting (IPSC/USPSA Production Category) with 4 pistols I also use for CCW. They are the MK40 (least preferred), Colt Defender (most preferred) Sig P229 in 40S&W and a H&K USP45CT. I have holsters for the MK40 and the P229 and I've ordered for the Defender and the H&K. The FIST holster for the P229 showed me that I MUST get a new belt. It's still OK for the IWB but for the others, all being outside and canted they will (the FIST + P229) twist the belt. So my need is suggestions for a 1 1/2" leather that will resist the torque and so will ride flatter and more stable for these 3 holsters. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Old July 30, 2007, 08:34 AM   #2
yar

The colt defemder will be no go for production. Stiffest belt will be the cr speed but it's not leather nor a traditional belt. It's a competion specific inner and outer belt system.

for traditional belts but also not leather the wilderness survival is fairly stiff.
Old July 30, 2007, 08:38 AM   #3
gfmun

Belts

I would suggest you check out the Wilderness Tactical series. Not leather, but they work really great at a lot better price than leather.

thanks, George
Old August 11, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

buy best buy once

I use a Don Hume 1.5" belt, bought cheap, from the great-service guys at Gunners Alley.
Granted, it's a lower-end quality product, but still very good.

I also use a 1.5" Hellweg, which is considerably more. Years of use; a very high-quality piece.
Leather only, I am.

Also investigate the verybest belts from Milt Sparks, Alessi, Rosen, and a few others.
Milt Sparks makes nice sharkskin belts....

(I have a 1.75" Bianchi, too. Nice belt.)
Old August 11, 2007, 09:16 PM   #5
Ken O

I bought an Aker belt quite a few years ago on recomendations from a competition forum. It is leather, looks like a dress belt, but has a polymer insert that stiffens it up, and locks everything in place. Do a Google on Aker and you should be able to find them. I can't remember where I bought it from, maybe Delta Force or Dillon. It came in different widths and lengths.
Its been an excellent belt.
Old August 11, 2007, 09:58 PM   #6
rhino

Contact www.thebeltman.net

You can get a great belt with or without an additional polymer lining between the two layers of leather to add stiffness.

If you go with the Instructor's Belt from www.thewilderness.com, make sure you get the CSM version with the polymer insert.