The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2007, 02:04 AM   #1
Buckythebrewer

223 -Ar15 die mod idea?

Probably been done 1000's of time but,What do you think about taking the expander out(maybe drilling out the neck portion a little) of FL Lee die and using it for a shoulder bump die only,,Then take and use the collet die to size the neck??
Any benefits??because I think im going to try itIt my be my new way of reloading on the cheap for my ar15 and hopefully get my best results from it.I can't afford any competition dies I would like to get some day
I have an rcbs precision mic to check the shoulder.I have been getting M.O.A and better at 600 yards,as well as some near 1/4"-1/8"(once)" groups at 100 yards with 1/2" being the common group size..All on Lee basic equipment.
I have used the collet die with no accuracy benefits over the FL die that I can notice for sure.But Im hoping the combination of the 2 will give me the most consistency possible with what I have.

Any feedback welcome,As LONG as its positive and you tell me what I want to hear
Old January 22, 2007, 04:26 AM   #2
Buckythebrewer

Never mind ,I junked my FL die.Some times a plan DOESN'T come together.I thought I could ream out the neck portion But I had no tools to debur.Its ripping and tearing the brass,,its junk.I tried to clean it up but No can do.
Oh well, time to replace that (was)perfectly good die.
Does anybody make a die to bump the shoulder only without sizing the neck?.
Something reasonably priced?
I figured I would take a chance,And nobody tried to stop me ,so I just did it
If nobody recommends a good inexpensive die that will do what I want,Ill just go with a Pace setter again.Its not what I want,,I want a bumping die if there is such a thing.

UPDATE
I got bored after giving up and got out some sandpaper,wrapped it around a file and spun the drill fast with a couple different stages of paper.It is working fine now without scratching the brass.It is allowing me to bump in one die(when needed) and neck size in the collet die.(possibly better brass life with less trimming?,Maybe more or less runout??)I have not checked everything, but so far it measures out O.K. and drops in and out of my AR with normal shoulder placement on my rcbs precision mic,and wilson cartridge headspace gauge..

To much time on my hands,,Its going to get me in trouble.
I question if there will be any improvements or possibly worse results down range.

Last edited by Buckythebrewer; January 22, 2007 at 05:31 AM.