The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 20, 2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Hedley

Model '97 deal or no deal?

I found a 1901 dated model '97 with a 30" barrel at a local shop for $150. It's not pitted or rusted, but the bluing is near gone, leaving a brown patina. The bore looks smooth with the exception of a few cobwebs. The stock is wobbly and is even repaired with pins. It's listed as a parts gun, and the shop owner didn't know what it would take to get it operational. When I gave it a pump, the bolt pushed rearward, cocking the hammer, but did not return on it's own. I'm new to shotguns, but have always wanted a '97 as my first one.

I've scoured Brownell's, but are parts fairly easy to find, and do you guys think $150 for a listed parts gun is worth the trouble of a rebuild?
Old November 20, 2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Musketman1

I dont know if I would trust that. $150 is very cheap for a 97. You'd probably end up buying alot of parts to make it work. There is Reproduction Model 97's made by Norinco, but they are Chinese( )!

look here to see Norinco

http://www.impactguns.com/store/INTER-97W.html