The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 25, 2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Will_G

Can you identify this S&W?

I'm trying to figure out what model of S&W this is. It is supposed to be a .32-20 but the model was not listed. Can any of you experts identify it? Thanks.

Old May 26, 2017, 12:27 AM   #2
Jim Watson

It is certainly a .32-20 Hand Ejector and I think it is the Model of 1902 or Second Model, made 1902-1905. But I cannot be sure without the serial number.

It is on the K frame same as the .38 Military & Police of the period but there are a lot of unobvious differences from the later guns.
Old May 26, 2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Deaf Smith

Yep. And one can find out when it was 'born' on the S&W gun board.

Deaf
Old May 26, 2017, 06:51 AM   #4
Will_G

Thanks very much, gentlemen. It is listed on an Armslist listing and I am trying to decide if I want to go after it! So I appreciate your help.
Old May 26, 2017, 06:55 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Yep. And one can find out when it was 'born' on the S&W gun board."

Yep, and lord knows that no one here would ever be able to tell him that information, because this isn't an S&W specific firearms board...

Personally, were I looking for one, I'd go for this one: http://www.armslist.com/posts/664443...-change---c312

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Will_G

That one in Minnesota IS very nice. Thanks for pointing it out. Its asking price is quite reasonable, I think.
Old May 26, 2017, 08:17 AM   #7
SaxonPig

The 32-20 or 32 WCF (they came marked both ways) was considered a separate model by S&W. Identical to the Military & Police Model except for caliber they were called by the caliber rather than a name. Serials are mixed with the M&Ps.

When shopping for a 32-20 always check for a bulged barrel. I don't know why but I see a very high percentage of these guns with bulged barrels. I bought a Colt 32 WCF that had a shortened barrel and I know why.

Got this a couple years ago for $259. A refinished shooter I like the 6.5" barrel with a round butt.

Old May 26, 2017, 12:38 PM   #8
Will_G

Thanks for pointing that out about the bulged barrel issue for the .32-20's. That was most helpful.

You did get a nice one for $259!!!
Old May 26, 2017, 03:19 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

In most handguns, a bulged barrel isn't a real problem.

The bullet simply skips past the enlarged part of the rifling and re-engages further down the tube.

It is a problem if it's too close to the muzzle. Then accuracy might suffer.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 27, 2017, 07:14 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I have seen two theories about the prevalence of bulged barrels in .32-20s.
Both involve the usual stuck bullet.
1. The slow burning powder of the "rifle only" loads bleeds pressure through the cylinder gap and never builds up enough head to drive the bullet. (Pretty far fetched.)
2. The small charge of fast burning pistol powder in the long skinny case is not reached by the powder flash and the primer sticks the bullet. (I actually had this happen with a .38, light bullet, light load + long OAL. Stuck bullet, scorched powder all over the place. Fortunately I stopped before trying to fire another behind it. I reseated the bullets to a proper depth and the remainder of that ammo shot normally.)
Old May 27, 2017, 10:58 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

It should not be needed for the folks here, but a word of caution. The S&W .32-20 model was the most copied of all American revolvers, mainly by Spanish makers. While some of those were reasonably good, none were anywhere near the quality of a genuine S&W, and many were cast iron junk. Many, perhaps most, of those guns have long ago been scrapped (or blown up), but queries on this and other gun sites indicate many are still around, waiting to relieve unwary shooters of fingers and other anatomical bits and pieces one would prefer to keep intact. If it doesn't SAY Smith & Wesson, it might not be!

Jim
Old May 27, 2017, 11:09 AM   #12
ThomasT

Gil Sengal did an article on 32-20 revolvers and stated he almost bulged a barrel himself because he was using old boxes of bullets foe the 32-20. He stuck a bullet in the bore but felt recoil. The chrono didn't show a bullet speed so he checked and sure enough a bullet was stuck in the bore.

When he measured the old bullets he found the size varied from bullet to bullet. Just one slightly oversized bullet wa all it took to stick a bullet in the bore. That was his theory about bulged barrels in the 32-20 revolvers.
Old May 29, 2017, 05:02 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt that a factory load would cause a bullet to stick in the barrel, unless the powder was very old and deteriorating, or unless the factory box contained reloads, a common situation. Too often folks go to gun shows and buy reloads from an unknown source, of an unknown age, with unknown powder charges, unknown case age, etc. Not surprisingly, the trash is usually cheap, though I have seen junk reloads with price tags exceeding the best premium ammunition.

As I have said before, the only reloads I trust are my own; that way, if there is a problem, I know the idiot responsible and can kick him in the fanny.

Jim