The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2012, 09:22 PM   #1
elroy

Browning BAR stuck open

Have a BAR in .243 win. Was testing some loads and on the final round when the clip was empty the bolt went all the way back like it should to lock open,but it went beyond that point by 1/4 ".It jammed open and could not close.I had to take it completely down.There was no pressure showing on the brass,I'm not close to max. load.Has anyone any idea what would cause this,I have fired 300 rounds through this rifle since I bought it new,first time this happened.Any ideas or suggestions would be a help
Old February 8, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Broken Buffer ?

You didn't mention the buffer , is it in one piece ?
Old February 9, 2012, 07:59 AM   #3
elroy

I don't understand what the buffer is.There is no broken parts.The bolt and the metal surround where both stuck open with pressure on the sides not top bolt
Thanks
Old February 9, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
The buffer is that nylon piece at the back end of the recoil spring , that stops the bolt from slamming into the rear of the receiver . Sounds like you'd be wise to take your gun to a smith , he'll know what to check . You say nothing is broken , I doubt that , if nothing was amiss wouldn't it be working perfectly ? It's probably just a coincidence that the recoil buffer is about 1/4" thick .
Old February 14, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
603Country

I vote with oneoldsap. Quite a long time ago my dad's BAR wasn't functioning properly. It's been long enough now (decades) that I can't remember what the rifle was or was not doing. I do remember that I took the rifle apart and the buffer was in pieces. Once I installed a new buffer, the problem went away. Forgive me for not having more precise info than that, but yes, the problem was solved by replacing the 'dead' buffer. The only other problem we ever had on his or my BAR was that my bolt would occasionally stay open and would also occasionally not cycle enough to eject the empty and load a fresh round. That was found to be caused by a too-long screw in one of the scope mounts that had gone far enough into the action to interfere slightly with the action cycle. Again, that is a long ago memory, so details may be somewhat off, though I did file down the screw and solve the cycle problem.
Old November 27, 2014, 12:54 PM   #6
www_godzilla

I just bought a brand new BAR Safari Mark II 30-06 a few days ago. I took it out yesterday to sight it in. My rifle jammed on the third shot. But was fine after that.
Old November 27, 2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Clark

I have been buying BAR parts from MIdwest Gun Works.

I think the work on them too, but I have never done biz with them for that.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...ning-gun-parts
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?