The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 5, 2016, 03:31 PM   #1
FITASC

Democrats Who Participated in the Sit-In

A Glaring Fact Emerges About 26 of the Democrats Who Participated in the Sit-In Against Gun Control

http://ijr.com/2016/06/637400-a-glar...t-gun-control/

Quote:
Yet an analysis conducted by the blog Heat Street found that at least 26 of the Democratic lawmakers who participated in the nearly 25-hour sit-in are actually gun owners themselves!
Or as they like to say, "Yes for ME, but not for THEE"

between the FBI and Hillary, the corruption and hypocrisy is making Canada look good as a place to live!..............

The list of who they are is in the link
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 5, 2016, 03:45 PM   #2
pete2

Democrats is democrats. Laws don't apply to them anyway.
Old July 5, 2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
To be honest, that accusation could be levelled at almost any party in any country.

The issue at the core is that even if they are gun owners, they probably don't worry about any gun control because they would doubtless be unaffected. Probably they aren't AR15 owners so a ban on AR15s is OK.

If the ban were on duck guns, or some other aspect of shooting that they themselves enjoy, I doubt they'd support it.

And that is the problem with society as a whole: instead of people realising democracy in a constant process where you have to challenge unjust ideas as a point of principle,they tend to only sit up and paying attention when it affects them. Were that not the case, gun control as a tactic to address social ills would be a far harder policy to sell.
Old July 5, 2016, 04:07 PM   #4
FITASC

Any ban on ARs wouldn't affect what their security details carry...........

Let them eat cake!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 5, 2016, 10:40 PM   #5
JWT

Congress is prone to excluding themselves from the laws they pass. Gun legislation might be one. They have come to believe that they, not their constituents, know what we need.
Old July 6, 2016, 03:07 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
They have come to believe that they, not their constituents, know what we need.
When was the last time you didn't hear a politician campaign on leading us to a better brighter tomorrow, or back to past glory, or some variation of that??

Have you ever heard one campaign on a platform of "America, get off your asses and fix it yourselves! I'm just here to help organize things efficiently"???

I haven't.

So, some of the politicians own guns, but support more gun control laws. You didn't know this?? It's not a new thing.

I remember one very anti gun politician, mayor of a major city at one point. She was a strong supporter of a handgun ban law (later tossed as illegal). Made a big deal in the press about turning in her pistol! Until it was discovered that she had TWO, and only turned in ONE.

They were hypocrites then, they are hypocrites now.

I don't see a valid L&CR issue here. If you can show me one, we'll talk. Otherwise, we should move on.
Old July 6, 2016, 09:00 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Made a big deal in the press about turning in her pistol! Until it was discovered that she had TWO, and only turned in ONE.
Classic!

Some politicians really are a satirist's dream come true...
Old July 6, 2016, 09:33 AM   #8
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2
In general, it is rare when Congress passes a law which applies to them as well as the general public. I'm sure the amount of laws and their penalties would be substantially less if all the laws applied to Congress

Last edited by ATN082268; July 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old July 6, 2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Lohman446

The fact that this has stood (I assume) equal protection challenges is distressing. Really should not have to make an amendment that the peoples representatives can exclude themselves from the laws they are passing but we do. I mean people might get the impression we are an oligarchy rather than a representative democracy or something. It might make them more and more distrustful of the government.
Old July 6, 2016, 05:38 PM   #10
JimPage

I have decided after several years of observation that the Democratic Party is a criminal enterprise. That probably makes me persona on grata on this forum so you won't be seeing much of me...

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old July 6, 2016, 05:38 PM   #11
pnac

Yesterday's news conference with the FBI director should have removed all doubt that we have a "ruling class" that is above the law. As George Carlin said "It's a private club and we ain't in it."
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old July 6, 2016, 05:50 PM   #12
FITASC

I keep remembering Elton John's "Burn Down the Mission" in my head........
Old July 6, 2016, 06:38 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I think we're going nowhere here, and so, we're done.